• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you prefer to power your headphones?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Hello headphone lovers, I have a small question for you guys.

Do you guys plug your headphones directly into a DAC/Sound-card or plug them into a separate amp that's being fed an audio signal?

gikigill

Both are fine. I have separate DAC/Amps and Combo DAC/Amps setup so as long as the signal chain is in order, you will be alright.

You could feed the EVGA to the Sansui or just use the EVGA by itself for your headphones.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My DAC has two amplified headphone jacks.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello headphone lovers, I have a small question for you guys.

Do you guys plug your headphones directly into a DAC/Sound-card or plug them into a separate amp that's being fed an audio signal?
I plug them either into my smartphone, into an RME ADI-2 PRO fs or the headphone output of my AVP (Classe Sigma SSP). Or whatever is at hand ... :cool:

Oddiofyl

When I first got my HP3 I couldn’t wait to plug them in , so I first tried them with Qobuz HiRes through my phone and tab and I was surprised how good they sounded through a portable device. Then I plugged them onto my Quicksilver Headphone amp fed 192k source material from my DAC and was blown away.

I guess you have to weigh how much better it could sound given your particular headphone. I have two decent phones that I really like and currently my living situation prevents me from enjoying my stereo so spending $1000 for an amp was worth it to me. Plus I have no doubt I will more headphones ...

Take LT’ s DAC for example. It’s a killer DAC in its own right plus it has a really good purpose built headphone section. Does he really need a separate amp? I doubt it because that’s a great sounding DAC. Should he want to better that and add an amp he can , but it will cost $$$ and how much better? Again, your headphone choice I think would more or less dictate whether going down the rabbit hole of upgrading is really worth it

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Both are fine. I have separate DAC/Amps and Combo DAC/Amps setup so as long as the signal chain is in order, you will be alright.

You could feed the EVGA to the Sansui or just use the EVGA by itself for your headphones.

I'm probably going to plug them directly into my evga card.

My DAC has two amplified headphone jacks.

Never heard of a dac that can drive 2 headphones. I wonder what kind of dac that is.

I plug them either into my smartphone, into an RME ADI-2 PRO fs or the headphone output of my AVP (Classe Sigma SSP). Or whatever is at hand ... :cool:

I can never afford any of that equipment lol.

When I first got my HP3 I couldn’t wait to plug them in , so I first tried them with Qobuz HiRes through my phone and tab and I was surprised how good they sounded through a portable device. Then I plugged them onto my Quicksilver Headphone amp fed 192k source material from my DAC and was blown away.

I guess you have to weigh how much better it could sound given your particular headphone. I have two decent phones that I really like and currently my living situation prevents me from enjoying my stereo so spending $1000 for an amp was worth it to me. Plus I have no doubt I will more headphones ...

Take LT’ s DAC for example. It’s a killer DAC in its own right plus it has a really good purpose built headphone section. Does he really need a separate amp? I doubt it because that’s a great sounding DAC. Should he want to better that and add an amp he can , but it will cost $$$ and how much better? Again, your headphone choice I think would more or less dictate whether going down the rabbit hole of upgrading is really worth it

I don't really plan on upgrading my setup for a long time unless my sansui dies, which time will tell. The headphones that I got are the akg k7xx. I'm probably going to use them on my evga card.

Oddiofyl

If it proves to drive them well that’s great . My first headphone amp was the O2 Objective from Massdrop. I put 2 9v batteries in it and it’s a great little amp for around $100. I still use it when I travel. There are several other budget amps that will do the job for around the same money if you need more juice.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
If it proves to drive them well that’s great . My first headphone amp was the O2 Objective from Massdrop. I put 2 9v batteries in it and it’s a great little amp for around $100. I still use it when I travel. There are several other budget amps that will do the job for around the same money if you need more juice.

I guess technically my first portable headphone amp was my old LG V10. My akg's dont sip too much juice.

Zensō

Major Contributor
3CEC6337-D63C-4BD5-B720-1A38BD5379B6.jpeg

Top Bottom