• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you manage volume on Windows / Mac when using an external DAC ?

Bouly

I just purchased an external DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC FS). It is connected directly to some active speakers (Eris E8) via XLR cables.
The issue I have (whether on Mac or on Windows) is that the volume by default is extremely high.
For example when using Foobar ASIO in Windows, I have to set the DAC to -20 dB, and Foobar to -27 dB to have a normal listening volume.

It seems that when I set the DAC at 0 Db and reduce the volume even more in Foobar, the sound quality is better. Thoughts?

Also in Youtube I set the video volume in the Youtube interface to a minimum, then set the Dac to as close to 0 Db as possible, it seems like it sounds better.

Would volume be easier to manage if I had an amp and passive speakers instead ? Could I use passive speakers without an amp when current sound is 50 dB too loud ?

Is there any advantage whether on Windows or Mac, to purchase dedicated "audiophile" music player apps, from a standpoint of volume management and sound quality ? vs using free foobar with my own flac files

Madeintooting

If you;re using the XLR outputs on the DAC there's switchable gain, choose which suits.
  • Output level switchable +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Put DAC to -2 dB and you are done with it. Use Win or app volume control. There are wireless keyboard with pretty good (even physically) volume rackers if that suits you. I use phone to control volume of power amp in generally.

OP
B

Bouly

If you;re using the XLR outputs on the DAC there's switchable gain, choose which suits.
  • Output level switchable +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS
Are you talking about the ref level ? I put it to Auto Ref. So you are suggesting to set the volume in Windows / Foobar to maximum, and then reduce the volume of the DAC ? I dont see any gain switchable specific to XLR

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use a preamp with a digitally controlled precision resistor ladder - Emotiva XSP-1. Best purchase I have ever made.

OP
B

Bouly

I just noticed at the back of the speakers a small knob with written on it "input gain", which was set on the center... I set Windows volume at 100% and foobar volume at 100% and the DAC at -9Db. Then I set the input gain knob on the speakers at minimum. Then I turn the speakers on, put a song on, and slowly turn the speaker input gain knob until I reach comfortable level. I had to set the DAC to mono output and try multiple times on both speakers until it was reasonably centered. Its still not perfect but much better than before.

Top Bottom