• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you listen to all the music?? There's so much.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was listening to an album I like and I knew that I liked the guy who played drums on it. I went on Wikipedia to find other albums and songs that he played on. The list includes some artists I knew (Stevie, Iggy Pop, Smokey Robinson, Jermaine Jackson, David Bowie) and many I didn't know (Roy Ayers, Garland Jeffreys, Ronnie Foster). I made a playlist with everything he played on that I could find.

I'm listening to some of the artists I didn't know and they're all great. I had never heard Garland Jeffries before but I absolutely love his music. I go and look at the personnel on one of his albums and see a bunch of musicians I knew (Tony Levin, David Sanborn, G.E. Smith) and of course dozens I had never heard of. Now I want to listen to everything they played on.

The sheer amount of music created just blows my mind sometimes. Even if you just look at the 70s, when all these artists were most active, the amount of great music is just vast.

Do you ever feel guilty for listening to the same dozen things over and over when there is so much out there?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you ever feel guilty for listening to the same dozen things over and over when there is so much out there?
It's amusing you mention this because I thought this very thought last night as I was repeat listening to the same stuff on YouTube. I have 3010 bookmarks with YouTube and so I can get into a loop of the same music as YouTube algorithms get me in a loop of music choices. I'm trying to stop the looping.

If you click on a bunch of ASR music links then YouTube should start introducing you to new music.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Seems like an existential crisis related to the overabundance of choice.

My own list of music, movies, books, papers etc. to check out has been overflowing for years. I do not expect myself to be able to "keep up" despite all the time management efforts I've attempted. Often, I find myself listening to internet radio playlists... that way, at least I get to hear an assortment new artists on a daily basis with very little effort. I will record in a simple text file "favorite" stuff I think I would like to check out more for later, but I seem unable to successfully whittle down my list, and so... the gap only keeps growing bigger.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Spotify told me I listened to 996 different artists so far this year. I need to find four more.

r042wal

Forum Donor
I have a SiriusXM subscription (since 2005) and my favorite channel is Deep Tracks. I couldn't count the number of new artists or artists I have discovered and how this channel has broadened my musical interests. After I latch onto a new group or artist, the fun is tracking down the music and getting it into my collection. Currently I have about 2600 albums to my collection on my music server.

Although I can stream Tidal, streaming just isn't my thing. I am more interested in playing what I've discovered and collected.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Nah, not at all. In fact I listen to much more music from the past than anything new.

abe-simpson.gif

JSmith

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
when I first seriously got into (popular) music I realised I had about 20 very prolific years to catch up on and the task seemed impossible and of course it was.

Can only imagine what it is like entering teen years now with sixty-odd years of catching up to do.

I didn't really get into jazz until my early thirties; there's several lifetimes of material to explore just there.

I suppose it's better than there not being enough to go at though.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI

I have a SiriusXM subscription (since 2005) and my favorite channel is Deep Tracks. I couldn't count the number of new artists or artists I have discovered and how this channel has broadened my musical interests. After I latch onto a new group or artist, the fun is tracking down the music and getting it into my collection. Currently I have about 2600 albums to my collection on my music server.

Although I can stream Tidal, streaming just isn't my thing. I am more interested in playing what I've discovered and collected.
I don't see the dichotomy.
Streaming is not that different... You discover an artist and track down her/his/their music to add to your collection .. same... Made much easier by streaming. You build playlist from that and .. many streaming AI aka as "algorithms" will suggest similar artists to you ... And you go on discovering aided or not by A.I. And build your collection... not physical although it could be aided by streaming ;)

Peace

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit of Musical FOMO, if you will . I suffer from this as well..
I listen to more music thanks to streaming than I have ever. and to so much more artists and so much different genre.. from the world over.
Streaming also helps in discovering music from your favorite and familiar artists.
And to say that the other side think we are all listening to test tones :D

Peace...

Andretti60

No… because I don’t do it.
Yes, there are albums, music and songs I like to listen to again and again, I never get tired of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Frank Zappa for example, but mostly I like to “get surprised” listening to any of the streaming services, like I did using radio stations before the internet.

Peterinvan

I have enjoyed curating my Tidal playlists since I retired 9 years ago. I regularly go back and purge the tracks I no longer enjoy. As I upgraded my speakers and headphones, I have become very picky about the sound quality and non-compressed mastering. It’s like when I gave up on vinyl because of the distracting snap-crackle-pop after a few plays.

I have used Roon to export the Tidal playlists to upload-able files in case I want to switch streaming services at some point. This is my backup.

I ripped all my CDs to FLAC and got rid of them when we downsized to a condo.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Nahh, it would be like feeling guilty about having sex with the same dozen of gorgeous partners over and over when there's so many smoking hot people out there.

Thankfully music is an open relationship with zero judgement or jealousy. No guilt. Just pleasure.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
College Radio (internet) and themed content (jazz, world, electronic, etc) stations and segments help keep it fresh as well as remind me of classic test of time music. I do have list of favorites but that changes with time. We are lucky to live when recorded music from everywhere and all time is so available.

Moderate Dionysianism

It's the oppposite with me - I often feel guilty for jumping to the next new find too quickly. That's why I stopped checking the year's charts on RYM and all the year end lists from other ppl. I also don't follow the recommendations from streaming services and prefer to do my own digging myself. I find last.fm pretty useful - let's me easily find the stuff from the past that I remember enjoying, when I can't remember a band name:)

MAB

Major Contributor
I was listening to an album I like and I knew that I liked the guy who played drums on it. I went on Wikipedia to find other albums and songs that he played on. The list includes some artists I knew (Stevie, Iggy Pop, Smokey Robinson, Jermaine Jackson, David Bowie) and many I didn't know (Roy Ayers, Garland Jeffreys, Ronnie Foster). I made a playlist with everything he played on that I could find.

I'm listening to some of the artists I didn't know and they're all great. I had never heard Garland Jeffries before but I absolutely love his music. I go and look at the personnel on one of his albums and see a bunch of musicians I knew (Tony Levin, David Sanborn, G.E. Smith) and of course dozens I had never heard of. Now I want to listen to everything they played on.

The sheer amount of music created just blows my mind sometimes. Even if you just look at the 70s, when all these artists were most active, the amount of great music is just vast.

I do.
I just found out my neighbor from a few houses down when I was a kid has played keyboards for Chicago, The Who, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Demi Lovato, Kenny Loggins, etc... My brother broke his toe playing with him back in the day!!! It does make me happy to hear. But also to not have known is oddly bewildering.:facepalm: I do try to figure out how to increase my music discovery rate.:) I must admit,a lot of it comes from my brother so maybe having his toe broken from a future prfessional musician played a role in my brother's life choices!;)

Kind of related... I found out a few years back an old friend was sneaking his Pentax K1000 into shows and snapping photos:
When I saw he published a book of it, I felt a bit of the same guilt you mentioned... Why did I have no idea that this dude was gonna go and do this??? And I was overjoyed, and bought multiple copies for other mutual friends. And we all sit around ranting about how cool the book is. So, maybe the discovery is part of it.

Reactions: 617

posvibes

What I have noticed with my listening habits is that the human voice is disappearing from my music choices and I am much more focused on instrumental music, but then I will binge on all sorts of vocal music for a short while. I am much more adventurous and indiscriminate in my musical choices as I get older, what blows me away is the sheer magnitude of talent out there, globally.

I listen to a lot of music from around the world and a hlluva lot less from my own backyard so to speak.

Reactions: 617

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I have plenty of listening time, there's not enough otoh :) I don't worry about it too much, listen to my favorites a good chunk of the time and spend some time on streaming services to look up/listen to new finds and their derivatives to add to the collection. Very handy to have the streaming services to do that with, a nice tool to have.

Reactions: MAB

BinkieHuckerback

Add things I've seen recommended/reviewed to library on Apple Music, shuffle songs, ride my bike with SoundSports, away we go

Joe Smith

I get kinda frustrated when people are listening to the same things over and over. Spotify or other streaming has made each day an adventure to find new things in the genres I enjoy (jazz, classical, non-mainstream rock, electronic/EDM). Oh sure, I pull out a classic album several times a week. But there's so much new to hear...

At age 64, as I am about to be, it's easy to panic a bit over all the books yet to read, shows yet to see, music to hear and life to live - but keeping it fresh I think is important.

When I'm at the gym the circuit training room is tuned to one of the local iHeartRadio Top 100 things and it drives me crazy. The same damn 100 or 200 songs from my (relative) youth day in, day out. I don't know how the staff don't go crazy, seriously.

Top Bottom