• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you like this SINAD Chart Style?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Not in a chart, and, automatically, only in 3 colors maximum.

Oops, sorry, saw your post after I posted, should have deferred to the experts. I am doing it but using some Python code a friend wrote, was confused.

Timbo2

Possibly not scale the chart starting with "0"? It will let you see the differences more clearly.

ryanmh1

The formatting is better, but I would still get rid of it. Or at least replace it with the equivalent THD+N at 1kHz measurement. How many people actually realize that the difference between -115 and -105 is actually just .00056% vs .00018%? -95 is still only .002% THD+N. Objectivists tend to get caught up in these sorts of simplistic things, which allows the subjectivists to malign and laugh at them for stuff like this, and probably fairly so.

That's not to diminish the value of the underlying testing, but I don't particularly like a single metric which tells you nearly nothing useful, but which people probably assume does. I would put a huge disclaimer on it that virtually ALL of the products on the chart are completely transparent in terms of THD+N at 2V at 1kHz, and that you need to look at more detailed testing to be able to learn anything meaningful. Okay, enough party pooping. The reformatting is much better.

bakker_be

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/excel-multi-colored-line-charts

This explains how to use multi-color gradients on charts so it automatically varies color depending upon the value charted. This should be easy to do and automatic. I think as someone mentioned it is limited to 3 colors that blend together somewhat, but it should be useful.
While this would indeed work, it's limited to 3 ranges, whereas you proposed 5, and "the simple version" is for line charts. A bar chart would necessitate more complex data management on @amirm's end. The sample file I created needs just the device name and the SINAD value in 1 row per device.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
The formatting is better, but I would still get rid of it. Or at least replace it with the equivalent THD+N at 1kHz measurement. How many people actually realize that the difference between -115 and -105 is actually just .00056% vs .00018%? -95 is still only .002% THD+N. Objectivists tend to get caught up in these sorts of simplistic things, which allows the subjectivists to malign and laugh at them for stuff like this, and probably fairly so.

That's not to diminish the value of the underlying testing, but I don't particularly like a single metric which tells you nearly nothing useful, but which people probably assume does. I would put a huge disclaimer on it that virtually ALL of the products on the chart are completely transparent in terms of THD+N at 2V at 1kHz, and that you need to look at more detailed testing to be able to learn anything meaningful. Okay, enough party pooping. The reformatting is much better.
Oh no, no, no. It actually easier to be confused with 0.000x%. I remember that absolute human hearing range is 120dB, but I need to calculate how much zeros there should be in percentage.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not fully automatic, but it comes close to it: a tutorial here
I had seen that and implemented it today. It is not good. It creates three lines for each row with only one visible. Problem is that the bar graph becomes 1/3 as thin which is a no go.

What makes this is a pain is that you can't multiselect bar graph lines either to set their color.

Can't believe there is no such feature here natively.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I had seen that and implemented it today. It is not good. It creates three lines for each row with only one visible. Problem is that the bar graph becomes 1/3 as thin which is a no go.

What makes this is a pain is that you can't multiselect bar graph lines either to set their color.

I always wondered what Microsoft’s R&D dollars went into because Excel functionality is obviously not a priority. And don’t think about making good looking logarithmic charts...

I though you maybe knew a bit more why Excel charts are so primitive despite Microsoft’s huge R&D budgets ;)

dc655321

Major Contributor

Have you (or would you) consider using software actually designed for plotting/charting?
eg: use Python to import your spreadsheet into Pandas or Numpy, plot using Matplotlib

Seems like you're using the wrong tool here...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Well for now why not implement the 3 color gradient. While not 5 categories I had in mind, it is very easy to do. And gets us part way there.

the one bakke_be did works, but isn't a chart.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well for now why not implement the 3 color gradient. While not 5 categories I had in mind, it is very easy to do. And gets us part way there.
I can't because in all the reviews I have mentioned the four quarters.

ryanmh1

Oh no, no, no. It actually easier to be confused with 0.000x%. I remember that absolute human hearing range is 120dB, but I need to calculate how much zeros there should be in percentage.

I'm not sure if you're joking about this? At 120dB you are sustaining permanent damage, and virtually no one can actually "hear" anything at 0dB unless they sit in an anechoic chamber for a day. The dynamic range of a CD is more than enough for any conceivable piece of recorded music. SINAD is not dynamic range. It's distortion AND noise. I don't think anyone can possible hear 20 parts per million THD on a sinewave, much less in music. That's why this chart is so worthless. People have a natural inclination to want to ascribe some some of audible meaning to it, when there is none. It's simply a technical benchmark which is largely meaningless, standing alone.

monkeyboy

How about adding the approximate cost of each to the figure...sadly there seems to be little correlation between cost and performance...or possibly split it out to 3 cost ranges

Top Bottom