• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you fix electrical interference from motherboard?

N

nhatlam96

Setup1:
PC Motherboard -> Aune X1s -> SMSL SP200 -> DT1990
When I turn turn the volume knob of my amp all the way up I hear some strange eletrical noises.
I then replaced my PC with my Laptop...
Setup2:
Laptop -> Aune X1s -> SMSL SP200 -> DT1990
Eletrical noises are gone now.

How do I fix eletrical interference on Setup1?
I have tried to switch usb ports, but it didn't help.
The optical output of my PC Motherboard somehow doesn't work.
I guess the audio part of my motherboard is broken and I have then to buy a new one? :(

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems to be almost the same.
So yes if it isn't defective or otherwise flawed I think it should work.

OP
N

nhatlam96

I just replaced my ancient PC speakers with a pair of HS50Ms through a Xenyx 502 mixer, and there is significant interference from my GPU. So bad that it's pretty much impossible to play any game at all, as the screeching and buzzing is so unbearable.
I've figured that I need to get an external sound card of some sort - can Reddit give me some recommendations? Do I need to spend a decent amount, or will a cheap one do? Will I be better off with USB or optical out?
How do you know the GPU is causing the interference?

OP
N

nhatlam96

Seems to be almost the same.
So yes if it isn't defective or otherwise flawed I think it should work.
It worked man!!!! No electrical noises, nothing! Pure and dead silence, amazing :D:D:D

A800

OP
N

nhatlam96

I will just summarize it again, for better understanding of the history.

I hear electrical noise coming out of my headphones.
I tried different setups for my audio system:
Setup1: MSI X470 > Aune X1s > SMSL SP200 > Focal Elegia
Setup2: Gigabyte B450 > SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk II> SMSL SP200 > Focal Elegia
Setup3: Gigabyte B450 > Fiio E10k > SMSL SP200 > Focal Elegia
Setup4: Gigabyte B450 > Fiio E10k > Focal Elegia
I have following observations:
A) On setup 1-3 I encounter electrical noise, but not on Setup4. Why not on Setup4?
B) The electrical noise gets louder, when the GPU is under load. In example scrolling up and down amplifies the noise or moving the mouse.
C) When connected to my laptop, there is no electrical noise.
My attempts to solve this problem:
D) Try all usb ports
E) Change power outlet or power strip
F) Swap motherboard (MSI X470 -> Gigabyte B450)
G) Swap graphics card (old graphics card: RTX 2060 super -> current graphics card: RX5700XT)
H) Disconnect HD Audio cable
I) Use USB Isolator ADuM4160: When no audio is played then the noise is inaudible. However, when I play audio, then the treble gets hot & bloated + various clicks & pops.
Other possible solutions I can think of (should I go for it?):
J) Swap PSU (current PSU: Straight Power 11 550 Watt)
K) Buy external usb hub for audio system
Does anyone know a solution for this problem?
I spent a whole day already and I'm totally worn out.
I would have never thought,
that GPU load would cause such annoying disturbances on audio.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very simple solution: avoid USB completely and switch to Toslink. FiiO's HP headphone out is less sensitive and less powerful than the SP200. Keep in mind amplifiers amplify everything in the signal path so if the signal is noisy (this noise is different from signal's noise floor prior to amplification), the noise is also amplified. If you need to keep using USB, it's better to use a streamer with USB out instead and avoid your PC completely

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
1. Switch to optical/coax digital output from motherboard if possible, -or-
2. Try another USB DAC. Odds of success increase if it uses a separate power supply, instead of drawing its power over USB.

The first option is guaranteed to work.

The second option usually works. If well-designed, the USB DAC won't be succeptible to USB noise and power fluctuations.

I don't have a specific recommendation. Read ASR USB DAC reviews and look for a winner. JDS Labs' current offerings, perhaps? It needn't cost a lot of money. I've had success with sub-$99USD USB DACs in this regard.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That ought to work and should isolate the signal from the noise and ground loops

OP
N

nhatlam96

That ought to work and should isolate the signal from the noise and ground loops
could you explain me why? you dont have to be super technical, I just would like to vaguely understand

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Toslink is fiber optic and electrical noise and ground loops don’t pass through light. It’s only the signal that can pass through the cable. Therefore the DAC is completely isolated electrically from the PC

OP
N

nhatlam96

Toslink is fiber optic and electrical noise and ground loops don’t pass through light. It’s only the signal that can pass through the cable. Therefore the DAC is completely isolated electrically from the PC
Thank you. The usb to spdif converter should arrive at Friday/Saturday/Monday. I will update you guys then.

zermak

Just to point you somewhere else, it looks like the problem causing the interference is the amplifier (indeed it's the common thing in all the three setups you have the issue). Try to figure what the problem is with it, maybe use is somewhere else(?) and see if you still have the issue. And you could also go the balanced route (you amp accepts both single ended and balanced inputs) changing DAC rather than avoid a problem adding something else in the chain :)

OP
N

nhatlam96

Just to point you somewhere else, it looks like the problem causing the interference is the amplifier (indeed it's the common thing in all the three setups you have the issue). Try to figure what the problem is with it, maybe use is somewhere else(?) and see if you still have the issue. And you could also go the balanced route (you amp accepts both single ended and balanced inputs) changing DAC rather than avoid a problem adding something else in the chain :)
I have used the amp somewhere else, look at number 3). When the chain is connected to my laptop, there is no interference. My DAC is connected to the SMSL SP200 via RCA to XLR cable. Im so sad that I have to even care about TOSLINK, its 2020 and USB doesnt even work without issues :(

zermak

I have used the amp somewhere else, look at number 3). When the chain is connected to my laptop, there is no interference. My DAC is connected to the SMSL SP200 via RCA to XLR cable. Im so sad that I have to even care about TOSLINK, its 2020 and USB doesnt even work without issues :(
Why use a RCA to XLR cable when you can use RCA directly? There is no point in it considering that the source is not balanced... Have you tried to use a RCA to RCA and use the amp with is single ended input? I feel like the cable is the problem. Maybe @solderdude can help here.

OP
N

nhatlam96

Why use a RCA to XLR cable when you can use RCA directly? There is no point in it considering that the source is not balanced... Have you tried to use a RCA to RCA and use the amp with is single ended input? I feel like the cable is the problem. Maybe @solderdude can help here.
I used RCA to XLR because on the SMSL SP200 review from Amir, he said that XLR input can somehow help fix grounding issues. I also have used RCA input on my SP200 via Setup3 :(

Top Bottom