• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you feel about other people using your stereo?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The expense comes from the fact they are small and not made out of plastic.
I wonder if anyone will create innovative new cartridge designs using 3D printing as the method of manufacture?
Like maybe Koetsu, who then hands over the result to one of their craftsmen or craftswomen to finish. Each of these are less than $16k. With some 3D printing could probably improve the design and knock a couple thousand off the price.
1636267702513.png

image-asset.jpeg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if anyone will create innovative new cartridge designs using 3D printing as the method of manufacture?
Like maybe Koetsu, who then hands over the result to one of their craftsmen or craftswomen to finish.

image-asset.jpeg
Is that marble or some sort of plastic/resin? Marble is so heavy. It's nice to see the threaded mounting flanges.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone else love seeing people enjoy their system?
Since listening to my system means having unrestricted access to my computer (source device/Room correction) I would not let anyone start or shut it down it on their own.

However, when I have visitors and everything is set up my be, I do enjoy them having a go at my foobar library and enjoying the sound in my presence.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that marble or some sort of plastic/resin? Marble is so heavy. It's nice to see the threaded mounting flanges.
Blue Onyx stone, each one chiseled from a block. The pink one is Rhodonite stone. They are made for less than 2 gram tracking. They really are beautiful in person though I've only heard the Koetsu Rosewood model where the body is made of........you guessed it, high quality Rosewood.

1636269239422.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Blue Onyx stone, each one chiseled from a block. The pink one is Rhodonite stone. They are made for less than 2 gram tracking. They really are beautiful in person though I've only heard the Koetsu Rosewood model where the body is made of........you guessed it, high quality Rosewood.

View attachment 163746
Is that a material that has properties conducive to the task or is it simply esoteric and exotic for the exclusivity?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that a material that has properties conducive to the task or is it simply esoteric and exotic for the exclusivity?
I could not say one way or the other. I know their lower end model Rosewood had a beautiful sound played over tubed power amps and Quad ESL63's. TT was a SOTA Sapphire I forget the arm.

A nice write up with some nice pictures about each of their models.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found 3 prices for the TAD REFERENCE ONE TX. They are £120,000.00, £135,000.00 and $78,000.00 per pair. What is the price for them in Japan today? When you buy them you are going to need delivery and setup or you might hurt your back and then your wife will really be very unhappy. :D

You can find our domestic (recently revised) price list here. Now JPYen 13,200,000 per pair inclusive of 10% sales tax. The company staffs will deliver and set them up, of course. I will not hurt my back, so my wife will be happy "at least" in this regard; still just a dream project though!!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can find our domestic (recently revised) price list here. Now JPYen 13,200,000 per pair inclusive of 10% sales tax. The company staffs will deliver and set them up, of course. I will not hurt my back, so my wife will be happy "at least" in this regard; still just a dream project though!!
CDN ~$145,010.00 That's a end game speaker. I read that TAD is basically a skunkworks for Pioneer. Pioneer makes good stuff and to have a high end skunkworks is really cool. I would love to hear them with all that technology and special cabinets. There are three dealers in Canada and one is in my hometown. I'm going to telephone next week on a business day and ask if they have inventory and if will they give me a short demo. I've never visited this dealer before. I never even knew they existed till now.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Many times I explained and showed the startup (ignition) sequences and shutdown sequences of my multichannel multi-amplifier system (which are very simple, rationale and straightforward at least for myself!), but she has never tried to do these, and I also believe she will never try these. ;)

BTW, last week, we, me and my wife, attended an audio system listening session (one of the expensive SP systems I am very much interested in) at really high-end audio shop's studio in Tokyo. During our return drive home, she said that our present home audio system (shared here and here) sounds fairly better for her (and for me also); accordingly my new purchase desire was immediately rejected and abandoned.
Before the unnecessary shallow grave, try to find an easier way for your wife. As long as the volumes are down, nothing can happen regardless of the startup sequence (no power, no damage). A simple explanation would be - whatever you do, turn the volume down; when changing source, flipping records, dropping the stylus, turning off/on.

There. Hope she lives.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
The expense comes from the fact they are small and not made out of plastic.
Sorry to break it to you, thousands of dollars don't come from the fact they are small and not made of plastic.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I was thinking about this thread and came to realize, I need to share to fully enjoy. When I discover something, I always have a feeling I discovered it for all of those I love. I always try to bring it to all of them, whatever it may be, new music, films, recipes, restaurants, books... It just goes without saying that handling shouldn't in any way be detrimental to the gear or else we all lose it.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CDN ~$145,010.00 That's a end game speaker. I read that TAD is basically a skunkworks for Pioneer. Pioneer makes good stuff and to have a high end skunkworks is really cool. I would love to hear them with all that technology and special cabinets. There are three dealers in Canada and one is in my hometown. I'm going to telephone next week on a business day and ask if they have inventory and if will they give me a short demo. I've never visited this dealer before. I never even knew they existed till now.

Nice to hear so. Maybe, better to continue discussion regarding TAD-R1TX on that dream SP thread...

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I have a switch box mounted on the side of my computer desk that turns on my sequential startup hardware.
Line level devices then sequenced amplifiers.
Switched off and the reverse happens.

My system is in a room located in the lowest part of the basement, so few people have ever seen it and my wife
is not interested in listening as she has a pair of wireless headphones that she uses for music.

mansr

Major Contributor
Other than visual aesthetics, I can't see what benefits stone or wood would offer here compared to something cheaper like moulded resin. Then again, vinyl isn't my thing, so feel free to educate me.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than visual aesthetics, I can't see what benefits stone or wood would offer here compared to something cheaper like moulded resin. Then again, vinyl isn't my thing, so feel free to educate me.
I read the The Koetsu story – Japanese art Part I and there is no mention of why they use these exotic esoteric materials. It seems to be for the exclusivity and for the art of the craftsmanship.

H-713

I have a couple pieces of equipment that I'm a little protective of, but most of it I'm more than happy to let friends use. The main exceptions are things that are really hard to fix, or are vintage items in exceptionally good condition.

For example, a blown up BSS EPC780 probably represents a good 80 hours of time (or more) to get back up and running. That one doesn't get loaned out too often. My Crest 3301 that I got in its original sealed package a couple years ago is another.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My system has no way for the naive user to figure it out, so nobody else can use it even if they wanted to.

No buttons (other than power) or volume knob on the amp.

If you manage to randomly fumble into setting it to Ethernet input, you won't have access to Roon unless you have my iPad or computer.

If you try to play a record by setting it to Phono --- gotcha! The Puffin phono stage is using optical.

If you try to play a reel to reel....well, nobody knows how to thread a tape.

And if they do, all my tapes are tails out!

hahaha

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
My system has no way for the naive user to figure it out, so nobody else can use it even if they wanted to.

No buttons (other than power) or volume knob on the amp.

If you're manage to randomly fumble into setting it to Ethernet input, you won't have access to Roon unless you have my iPad or computer.

If you try to play a record by setting it to Phono --- gotcha! The Puffin phono stage is using optical.

If you try to play a reel to reel....well, nobody knows how to thread a tape.

And if they do, all my tapes are tails out!

hahaha
I bet I could figure it all out, and I'd start with the reel to reel tape. :p

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me when someone's using my stereo:

12472780.jpg
Yes! If it's not my mother (who does listen to me about what to do & not do & even requested written instructions in case she wanted to use it when I wasn't around), then I would need to be strapped down too. And, even then, I would be rude, crude & socially unacceptable if they touched either TT.

Top Bottom