• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you feel about other people using your stereo?

TheWalkman

I'm fine with it, until they go near the turntable, with it's expensive but so easy to break cartridge, then my words and my body language are at odds.
I had a Dynavector phone cartridge in college that proves your point: drunk room mates and high end turntables are a recipe for disaster.

Zensō

Major Contributor
AB4C727B-3ABA-4425-A343-E3589CC4AE03.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't mind if people use my audio gear as long as they know how, most express no desire to do so, though. Even when I had roommates wasn't an issue particularly, altho I would make sure they handled vinyl/styluses properly. These days with a universal remote in use on several systems, it's easy enough to do in any case.

Capitol C

I once saw someone try to cue a record without using the little lift lever on my SL1200 with a Shure M97 cart (discontinued) and I almost hit them with a wine bottle.
I hope the wine was worth less than the cartridge!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Not a problem. My system is basically unlabeled, unconventional and complex. All other users can see that are comprehensible are the volume knob and the server GUI. Few attempt even that.

2ndHarm

I enjoy listening to music while playing on my phone or reading or playing guitar, but I have to say it has always made me really happy when someone else gets to enjoy your stereo. They don't know all the thought that goes into it, nor has their joy been stolen by comparisons.

My girlfriend has this routine recently where she smokes weed, does exercises or yoga or jumps on her trampoline and then lies down on the floor listening to the sad songs off Folklore, the Taylor Swift album. It's not a bad album really but it occurred to me that she would have never spent the money on audio that I have, and as a result would never get to enjoy this music quite as much.

On the other hand, I used to have roommates and it always annoyed me when they used my stereo. I suppose the difference is that I like one more the other. One day I hope to play my system for one of me neices or nephews and make them aware of the joy of audio.

Anyone else love seeing people enjoy their system? I almost wish I could hear it without ever hearing it before.
I've had powerful and clear sounding audio systems for 50 years. My wife of 45 years occasionally remarks (privately) when we visit other people's homes and hear their sound systems while we watch a movie, etc., "why do their speakers sound so bad?" I tell her she's been spoiled. My system is simple enough to control what she watches TV/movies/Youtube, etc. and listens to music without needing my assistance. I don't worry about her hurting anything since there's plenty of clean power and none of the equipment is stressed.
To be fair - only people I've showed how to use the system use it. I would not allow strangers to just start pushing buttons.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was providing warranty service for KEF and had KEF towers @home I let other people use my stereo often because I could get KEF drivers inexpensively and so it was no big deal if a person made a mistake with the tri-amp'd arrangement and blew a driver or popped a amp because I would fix it as I was tooled up for it at the time. A buddy was a musician and loved coming over while I was @work and listening to world music and bangra on the KEFs because he could hear all the little accents and subtle sounding instruments they use. Otherwise I only let close friends use my electronics now. :D

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I enjoy listening to music while playing on my phone or reading or playing guitar, but I have to say it has always made me really happy when someone else gets to enjoy your stereo. They don't know all the thought that goes into it, nor has their joy been stolen by comparisons.

My girlfriend has this routine recently where she smokes weed, does exercises or yoga or jumps on her trampoline and then lies down on the floor listening to the sad songs off Folklore, the Taylor Swift album. It's not a bad album really but it occurred to me that she would have never spent the money on audio that I have, and as a result would never get to enjoy this music quite as much.

On the other hand, I used to have roommates and it always annoyed me when they used my stereo. I suppose the difference is that I like one more the other. One day I hope to play my system for one of me neices or nephews and make them aware of the joy of audio.

Anyone else love seeing people enjoy their system? I almost wish I could hear it without ever hearing it before.
It goes to both extremes; I both love it and hate it. If anyone uses it with care and knows how to use it or if he doesn't he asks, I really love it. When someone thinks he'll demonstrate just how "un-materialistic" he really is, but on my gear he gets an immediate and permanent ban.

You know the guys who while messing it up scoff at you for being to invested in inanimate objects implying you have a wrong set of values or you're too materialistic or neerdy/retentive.... A-holes I believe they're called.

Then again, you make effort with your system and someone recognizes that and loves it and listens again to all their favorite songs and albums, that's great.

For me, it's just how someone handles the gear.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
grabbing it with his fingers all over the grooves (not by the edges),
This is endgame for me. This clearly means he doesn't know what he is doing and I would jump in at that point. He could ask for a song and I would play it. And I'm the easy one... You can skip-rope with my speaker cables, it does nothing. But grease on records... Nope.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is endgame for me. This clearly means he doesn't know what he is doing and I would jump in at that point. He could ask for a song and I would play it. And I'm the easy one... You can skip-rope with my speaker cables, it does nothing. But grease on records... Nope.
I don't know, it was a big seller back in the day

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many times I explained and showed the startup (ignition) sequences and shutdown sequences of my multichannel multi-amplifier system (which are very simple, rationale and straightforward at least for myself!), but she has never tried to do these, and I also believe she will never try these. ;)

BTW, last week, we, me and my wife, attended an audio system listening session (one of the expensive SP systems I am very much interested in) at really high-end audio shop's studio in Tokyo. During our return drive home, she said that our present home audio system (shared here and here) sounds fairly better for her (and for me also); accordingly my new purchase desire was immediately rejected and abandoned.

Zog

The idea that a cartridge can easily cost thousands of dollars is beyond most understanding. They're small and made out plastic, how could they be expensive? Meanwhile if you fart too close to a Dynavector you're going to be selling organs.
The expense comes from the fact they are small and not made out of plastic.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
she said that our present home audio system (shared here and here) sounds fairly better for her (and for me also); accordingly my new purchase desire was immediately rejected and abandoned.
No big surprise there because your system has the capability to be fine tuned for your room acoustics and to your ear and it is very versatile and fun to operate. :D

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No big surprise there because your system has the capability to be fine tuned for your room acoustics and to your ear and it is very versatile and fun too operate. :D
The SP system we auditioned last week was not the one I wrote here! My dream of that one is still alive in my brain; so far I have never told about that to my wife...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The SP system we auditioned last week was not the one I wrote here! My dream of that one is still alive in my brain; so far I have never told about that to my wife...
I found 3 prices for the TAD REFERENCE ONE TX. They are £120,000.00, £135,000.00 and $78,000.00 per pair. What is the price for them in Japan today? When you buy them you are going to need delivery and setup or you might hurt your back and then your wife will really be very unhappy. :D

Top Bottom