• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do the Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers measure?

celroid

I've got my eyes on these Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers for a while now and I'm curious what they measure when compared to say the current best reviewed <$1000 speakers, the ELAC DBR-62. I've found the Dyanaudio Emit M20 cost around €700 in europe or around $800 in US.

I've found this review here on page 6 that show a small chart with supposedly the measurement of the Dynaudio Emit M20, but I'm not an expert and it's not very informative to me as are amirs reviews.

1591530905982.png

Judging from this chart they seems less flat than the ELAC DBR-62.

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Bookshelf Speaker CEA-2034 Spinorama Measurements (1).png

Dynaudio Emit M20
Annotation 2020-06-07 144429.png

I'm still hoping amir reviews these one day

akarma

I think Emit 20 is very similiar to DM 2/7

Response_left-right.jpg

This is my DM 2/7 from 1m. Left-right speaker

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got my eyes on these Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers for a while now and I'm curious what they measure when compared to say the current best reviewed <$1000 speakers, the ELAC DBR-62. I've found the Dyanaudio Emit M20 cost around €700 in europe or around $800 in US.

I've found this review here on page 6 that show a small chart with supposedly the measurement of the Dynaudio Emit M20, but I'm not an expert and it's not very informative to me as are amirs reviews.

View attachment 67623

Judging from this chart they seems less flat than the ELAC DBR-62.

View attachment 67630
Dynaudio Emit M20
View attachment 67631

I'm still hoping amir reviews these one day

Interesting that you made the comparison with the elac. The scaling might be tripping you up a bit - the dynaudio actually looks pretty much exactly as flat as the elac in these images. The ELAC goes from about 88dB at 800Hz to 83dB at 3.5kHZ. the Dynaudio goes from about 84dB to 80dB from 800 to 2.5kHZ and also looks pretty much the same as the elac at 30 degrees off axis. Of course that Dynaudio review has far less resolution than amir's measurements, but if you'd told me these were measurements of the same speaker, I'd almost believe you!

akarma

032-037_Hifi_09_2019-005.jpg032-037_Hifi_09_2019-006.jpg

Emit M20 crossover

DSC02364.JPG

DM 2/7 crossover

It looks like they're identical.

Ok let's look on official website description:

Emit M20

Sensitivity: 86dB (2,83V / 1m)
IEC Power Handling: 150W
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response (±3dB): 50Hz – 23kHz
Box principle: Bass Reflex Rear Ported
Crossover: 2 way
Crossover Frequency: 2600Hz
Crossover Topology: 1st/2nd order

Woofer:17cm MSPT
Tweeter:28mm soft dome
Weight:7.5kg / 16lb
Dimensions (W x H x D):215 x 355 x 265mm 8.5 x 14 x 10.4in

DM 2/7

Sensitivity: 86 dB (2,83 V/1 m)
IEC Power Handling: > 150
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 50 Hz – 23 kHz (± 3 dB)
Box Principle: Bass Reflex Rear Ported
Crossover: 2 way

Crossover Frequency:2600 Hz
Crossover Slope:6-12 dB/Octave
Woofer:17 cm MSP
Tweeterer: 28 mm soft dome
Weight: 7.5 kg / 17 lbs
Dimensions (W x H x D):170 x 355 x 265 mm 6.7 x 14.0 x 10.4"

Emit M20 cabinet is a little bit wider and that's all

There is strong evidence that the measurements will be very similar.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll take your word for it. :) I just want to ask /confirm, is this what could be called a minimal crossover?

It's a cap and a coil on each driver. That means an electrical 2nd-order slope. Looking at the step response, it looks as though the drivers are connected in opposite polarity, which also suggests and approximately 2nd-order acoustical filters. There are no additional networks (e.g. L-pad, Zobel network, notch filter, etc. etc.).

It's definitely on the "minimal" side.

Not sure why they write "1st/2nd order" in the spec sheet. There is no way that is a 1st-order filter, either electrically or acoustically.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
You can buy the Excite X18 (new in blow-out sales or lightly used) for the same price as the Emit M20, and it is a MUCH better speaker--subjectively, at least.

Amir has my pair of the smaller Excite X14 for review. Hopefully, that is coming up soon.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

I bought the M10 ( £499) after listening to quite a few small bookshelf speakers, some much more expensive. Even listened to Harbeth P3ESR (£2,000), unfortunately, not at the same dealer. I just couldn’t hear a £1,500 improvement - if any. Call me cloth-eared if you like.

My ears are very sensitive to sibilance, and I found the M10 the best in this respect. Maybe someone can say if that ties in with these measurements.

If I was looking for larger speakers, I would probably have spent a bit more and gone with the M20.

In saying all this. I’m now thinking about Revel speakers, based on reviews and various comments on this forum.

.... some people are never happy!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Zobel+coil=1st-order filter

My apologies, I did not see the resistors on the back of the board. Yes, it's possible.

You should see woofer's real response to say for shure about acoustic slope

The step response shows that the drivers are connected in opposite polarity. Very unlikely they would do this if the acoustical slopes are first-order (it would introduce group delay without having any conceivable positive impact on the amplitude response).

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I bought the M10 ( £499) after listening to quite a few small bookshelf speakers, some much more expensive. Even listened to Harbeth P3ESR (£2,000), unfortunately, not at the same dealer. I just couldn’t hear a £1,500 improvement - if any. Call me cloth-eared if you like.

My ears are very sensitive to sibilance, and I found the M10 the best in this respect. Maybe someone can say if that ties in with these measurements.

If I was looking for larger speakers, I would probably have spent a bit more and gone with the M20.

In saying all this. I’m now thinking about Revel speakers, based on reviews and various comments on this forum.

.... some people are never happy!

I have Dynaudio X18s in my study and Revel F206s in my media room.

I suspect your ears gel with the Dyn silk dome tweeter.

I have owned several pairs of lower line Dyns, including X12, X14, X18, M10, and they have a similarly soft presentation in the tweeter, although I cannot point to any evidence of this in the measurements, which tend bright above 5K.

In comparison with the Revels, Dyns have a polished sound that makes poor recordings sound better than they are and adds a little bit of same-ness across the board. Revels have wider dispersion and provide a more honest representation of all recordings.

I am not particularly sensitive to sibilance, but I hear none in the Revels, even when driven by IcePower, which is considered by some subjectivists to bring out sibilance in prone speakers.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

I have owned several pairs of lower line Dyns, including X12, X14, X18, M10, and they have a similarly soft presentation in the tweeter, although I cannot point to any evidence of this in the measurements, which tend bright above 5K.

In comparison with the Revels, Dyns have a polished sound that makes poor recordings sound better than they are and adds a little bit of same-ness across the board. Revels have wider dispersion and provide a more honest representation of all recordings.

I am not particularly sensitive to sibilance, but I hear none in the Revels, even when driven by IcePower, which is considered by some subjectivists to bring out sibilance in prone speakers.

Don’t want to turn this into another Revel thread, but what is your overall opinion of the Revel F206s. They’re on offer just now at £1599 (RRP £4000). They’re maybe too big for my small living room, but at that price, I’m tempted to squeeze them in!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Don’t want to turn this into another Revel thread, but what is your overall opinion of the Revel F206s. They’re on offer just now at £1599 (RRP £4000). They’re maybe too big for my small living room, but at that price, I’m tempted to squeeze them in!

Agreed, but they are easily the best speakers I have owned and may turn out to be the last speakers I buy in this lifetime.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think this is extremely accurate. I have a pair of X12s and F208s, and it mirrors my experience and measurements.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
"I suspect your ears gel with the Dyn silk dome tweeter"

According to some people here materiels of the tweeter are totally irrelevant

akarma

Extremely smooth and flat sound. They are far more neutral than some studio monitors in fact. Like JB LSR305/308 for example which I owned

Top Bottom