• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I set up my tone generator in REW to take measurements please?

charleski

Major Contributor
can you also explain how to do a THD vs Freq chart?

in REW it’s in the stepped sine wave. But I don’t know how to set it up in its settings
You can just leave them at the default values given in the panel and it will be fine.
For this test you need to make sure both input and output are setup correctly in preferences, and make sure there's no clipping on the input (if there is, reduce the input sensitivity), much the same as you would when doing a standard measurement sweep.

OP
N

Nkam

Thanks so much for all your help.

I’ve seen measurements of the Marantz ( Cirrus 4389 dac ) filter and it didn’t have the squiggly curves at the attenuation.
is there a way to get rid of those ?

I also know Marantz uses the fast rolloff filter of the Cirrus chip.

the second pic is from the datasheet

the third pic is HQplayer Sinc M filter. Talk about brick wall. It’s a million taps.

oh and how to i normalize so that it starts at 0db?

thanks again!

Attachments

• 21850381-6480-4645-9F9A-CECE0A784B33.jpeg
    21850381-6480-4645-9F9A-CECE0A784B33.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 34
  • F82034FC-8384-494E-85D8-B7482CC4164F.png
    F82034FC-8384-494E-85D8-B7482CC4164F.png
    739.3 KB · Views: 38
  • A895E2AB-4BBF-439D-B001-B8442E229070.jpeg
    A895E2AB-4BBF-439D-B001-B8442E229070.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 38

charleski

Major Contributor
I’ve seen measurements of the Marantz ( Cirrus 4389 dac ) filter and it didn’t have the squiggly curves at the attenuation.
is there a way to get rid of those ?
This is a common characteristic of the equiripple filter algorithm Cirrus Logic uses, and you can see it in their datasheet plot. The only way to get rid of it is to change the filter by resampling, as HQPlayer does.

how to i normalize so that it starts at 0db?
Change the y-axis units to dBFS. The plot will then properly reflect the levels from your ADC, and 0dBFS will depend on what sensitivity you've set.

OP
N

Nkam

This is a common characteristic of the equiripple filter algorithm Cirrus Logic uses, and you can see it in their datasheet plot. The only way to get rid of it is to change the filter by resampling, as HQPlayer does.

Change the y-axis units to dBFS. The plot will then properly reflect the levels from your ADC, and 0dBFS will depend on what sensitivity you've set.

to tell you the truth as a musician of over 40 years , Cirrus sounds more like natural and real timbre more than ESS and AKM.
chips DO share a sound. Of course it’s all of the rest of the DAC. But chips have a similar sound. My RME and Bryston both have AKM and share a very similar DNA for timbre. The Bryston is bigger sounding and deeper. But they do sound more similar.

I tried the Topping D30pro and it has a cirrus chip in it. 4 to be exact and it shared common DNA with my Marantz.

i don’t know why more DAC makers don’t use Cirrus. I think they sound great.

and yeah I do use HQplayer many times with the Marantz. But it’s own filter sounds great as well.
just a wonderful sounding DAC. which few know about. Killer headphone amp as well

thank you so much again for your help

OP
N

Nkam

Also another question.

depending on the filter, shouldn’t the attenuation also show up?

everytime I test a filter it usually stops at around -110db

I thought that different filters attenuate to different levels?

thanks!

Top Bottom