• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I know if I can use DX7 Pro as a preamp for HPA-S400ET

Colonel Bogey

Hi experts! I usually use an active speaker system but for our second home I need to get a general, high output and cost-efficient DAC/Headphone amp/Power amp combo. Can't be very specific about speakers, I would like it to be able to manage anything from vintage Spendors and contemporary B&W floorstands all the way to DYI projects or anything my friends drag along.

Two products that on paper seem to fit the bill are the Topping DX7 Pro (which I probably will get anyhow for a different application) and the Purifi-based AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S400ET.

However, I have no idea if these two products match electrically or if I need a separate preamp. To begin with, I wolud assume that the volume control on the DX7 also controls the Line Out level, but I actually cant see that in the manual. Secondly, the Line out on the XLR is specified as 4Vrms at 0dBFS. No idea what "FS" stads for but I guess the 0db is no attenuation (so hopefully >0db can be set using the volume knob). Is that what a preamp normally is expected to produce?

For the HPA-S400ET, the sensitivity seems to be selectable, the website says:

"To suit all uses, we have opted for 3 gain settings, selectable by jumper on the interface card :
  • Gain of +7.2dB, i.e. a total of 20dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of -4.2V RMS.
  • Gain of +12.5dB, i.e. a total of 25.3dB - Maximum power reached with a signal of -2.25V RMS.
  • Bypass: In this case, the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB. This mode can be interesting when using a strong preamplifier, capable of driving a 2 to 4K Ohm load and reaching a voltage of -10V RMS."
Does this mean I can use the default setting? Also, are there any other traps (impedance matching etc) I could stumble into?

And also, any opinions on the products I'm considering would be most welcome!

EDIT - Got the amp model # wrong, sorry!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
Colonel Bogey

Colonel Bogey

...and the answer seems to be yes! Got the Topping DX7 Pro and the Line Out is both adjustable and enough to feed the power amp. Just ordered the Purifi-based power amp.

Last edited:

earthtodan

Forum Donor
How did the Topping work out for you as a home stereo preamp?

Top Bottom