• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Do I Keep My Apartment Neighbor From Hearing My Subwoofer?

intothedragon

I just bought a new pair of speakers and today was the second time I got the downstairs neighbor on my door complaining from the bass shaking his apartment.

I swear it wasn’t too loud ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) but I mean,

What can I do to try to isolate the bass from the floor? Is there any DIY solution? Bass traps?

Do isolators pads as these ones work??

Please advice

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tear all the walls, floor and ceiling out and use resilient channel, double 5/8" Sheetrock with Green Glue between the sheets. That's the only way man.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can decouple the speakers from the floor (if it is coupled now) - that may help the neighbor and not hurt your sound to much. But once that direct coupling is eliminated, I’m not sure there’s anything you can do but turn the offending frequencies, or all frequencies, down.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
A few simple room treatments should do it ...

/sarcasm

1617671541612.png

flyzipper

As others have said... sub frequencies travel fairly easily through most structures.

You could try placing it as close to your listening position as possible (immediately behind your chair, against your lower back, for example), so you may be able to turn it down quite a bit and still achieve the same perceived levels for yourself (yet since it's lower, your neighbours may hear less).

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Unfortunatly, headphones- other than moving- are the most practical solution.

Since you are not a 'headphone type' - I suggest an AKG N90Q 'all in one' - when they go back on sale at $299 . (List $1499). These have an excellent 'crossfeed' capability, which simulates stereo speaker sound very well..

Any chance the $5k speakers can be returned?

For $80 premium, immediately available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019MA5SGE/

Seriously, worth a try. You can always return them..

Last edited:
OP
I

intothedragon

Unfortunatly, headphones- other than moving- are the most practical solution.

Since you are not a 'headphone type' - I suggest an AKG N90Q 'all in one' - when they go back on sale at $299 . (List $1499). These have an excellent 'crossfeed' capability, which simulates stereo speaker sound very well..

Any chance the $5k speakers can be returned?
headphones are Witchery black magic, God forbid

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
You need to cut the lower frequencies out...(example: below 10-30hz)

Here's a few ways:
1. MiniDSP and put a high pass filter at the lower frequencies
2. SVS's DSP, using a high pass filter, called "room mode compensation"
3. Arendal's DSP, using a high pass filter, called "subsonic filter"
4. If you have Denon or Marantz receiver (with Audyssey XT32), set "low frequency containment" (LFC) to ON, which (according to Gene from Audioholics) is basically a high pass filter at 35hz

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
headphones are Witchery black magic, God forbid
Headphones inject musical vibrations directly into the third eye.

And what are you saying here about black magic and witchery?

It's white magic and witchery.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This approach worked for years - constant low level exposure with unexpected bursts of fervent activity at unlikely times (e.g. the Metallica Monday concert rebroadcasts) which generally concluded before 11pm. Add a dash of occasional late night floor shaking for good measure. With good luck they'll move out. But if you have bad luck like me they'll move into the apartment above you to exact their revenge!

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What can I do to try to isolate the bass from the floor?

Short answer: Basically nothing. Most of the bass waves are transmitted from the air anyway, so decoupling the speakers from the floor will have a marginal effect at best.

Somewhat longer answer: What you may try is to use a DSP device which allows you to turn down the deepest bass, as has already been suggested. This is basically the only thing that will really work. You still get usable bass if you dial down the bass from about 60 hz. It also allows you to take down any big peaks in the bass that are caused by the room. Such peaks muddy the sound, so it's win-win.

Otherwise: Speak to your neighbor, ask if there's any periods during the week when it's ok that you play bass-heavy music. Try to be nice. Might work. Been there, experienced that.

Coach_Kaarlo

What are the wall and floor constructed from? How many windows? Are the neighbours above, below, adjacent?

Anecdote - My old apartment had a rubber layer between top of slab and terrazzo tiled floor. Listened regularly above 90 dB and never had a complaint from any of the neighbours, presume the rubber helped somewhat, speakers played to 30Hz in room no problems.

Top Bottom