• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I integrate roon/hqplayer into my system?

Roasty

Hi guys

As per the title, how should/would I integrate roon/hqplayer into my system?

At present I have two rigs.

Rig 1
Qnap nas with flac/mp3
Oppo 105d playing music from the nas and also streaming tidal
Matrix audio mqa sabre pro

Rig 2
Cambridge audio cxn v2 network streamer
Dac3b

All are hardwired with ethernet cables. I do not have any DSD music.

As I understand it, Roon requires a "core" to be on 24/7. Meaning i have to either get a dedicated roon core or a laptop to stay on all the time?

Also, my main source of music is Tidal. I feel some limiting factor from the Oppo player in that it can't unfold MQA.

If i take the Oppo out of the equation and just run a roon core, and stream and unfold MQA directly to the mqa sabre pro, do i still need the hqplayer? In essence, is MQA better/equivalent/worse than music upsampled using HQplayer?

Curious to see what suggestions and ideas you guys may have.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
As I understand it, Roon requires a "core" to be on 24/7. Meaning i have to either get a dedicated roon core or a laptop to stay on all the time?
Not true. I just turn it on when I want to use it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can put Roon core on your Qnap NAS: https://www.qnap.com/solution/roon/en/

That takes care of the server. Your Matrix MQA DAC supports Roon streaming. So just download the Roon app on your favorite phone or tablet and you are good to go.

You can't run HQPlayer though unless you have a dedicated high-power PC. I like to talk you out of using that software and hardware. :) It will do nothing for your sound.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oops, I thought you had element X. The Matrix DAC can't stream and Oppo doesn't support Roon either. So you need a streaming client. You can use a computer, a Raspberry Pi or dedicated streamer.

OP
Roasty

Roasty

Oops, I thought you had element X. The Matrix DAC can't stream and Oppo doesn't support Roon either. So you need a streaming client. You can use a computer, a Raspberry Pi or dedicated streamer.

Let me see if I understood u correctly.

Install Roon onto qnap nas
Connect Laptop/pc/streamer to qnap nas
Connect laptop/pc/streamer via USB or coaxial to Matrix dac
Control music via laptop/streamer

Am I able to play Tidal music from the Roon/qnap server using a roon app on my phone?

And your viewpoint is that hqplayer is.. Unnecessary?

Top Bottom