• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setup Update (GSX1000 + X2HR) Old: How do I get the most out of my MH751 (Takstar Pro 82)?

josiah

Hi everyone,

I really tried to research this on my own. I have a very specific need/desire, and I can't find what I need some help.

Here are my specifications
  • Headset is MH751 (Takstar Pro 82). I tested way to many headsets before deciding on this one.
  • Must be able to configure it as 7.0 or 7.1 through windows. I have to be able to use Hesuvi at minimum for virtual surround sound.
Currently using Onboard Realtek ALC1220 (AMP 2) - (7.1 configuration, Hesuvi for games/Peace for music).

I am looking at the:
  • Sennheiser GSX 1000 (Turned off by the music review, perhaps it's sufficient for my headphones?)
  • Creative Super X-Fi (Can't find much about it)
  • Topping MX4 (Can this be configured as a 7.1 source in Windows 10 or stereo only?)
  • Topping DX3 Pro (Turned off by the defects, same questions as above)
  • Khadas Tone Board with Recommended Headphone Amp? Seems like to much of a hassal, but keep seeing the recommendation.
I keep being told that I will not notice a difference and I am crazy for wanting to upgrade... I feel like I currently notice some imperfections in music. I don't know if it is in my head. I never cared before, so I am not sure why now I am being critical. These really are my favorite headset.

Will I even notice a difference? Please help me get the most out of my MH751's.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't see a good reason for spending over $100 for a DAC/amp, for use with a$75 headset.
Me, I would just plug the MH751 directly to the motherboard's on-board audio.
For music and movies, suggest you buy the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X ($160).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones.
Keep using the MH751 for surround sound gaming.
For $30, you can get Creative's X-FI MB3 software, which will give you SBX Headphone surround sound.

OP
J

josiah

Thank you for the response!

The only thing this would be use for is Games and Spotify. I really only use the PC for gaming.

On a side note, I was already eyeing the Sennheiser HD58X! I think I will purchase them and give them a shot. I worry that the noise of the fan might be bit distracting with open headphones, but it's worth trying.

I am still going to get a sound device. I can get a GSX 1000 for cheap. So I think I will give it a shot. I heard nothing but good things from other MMO players.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Is there a reason you definitely want those surround sound headphones? I guess it's for games right? Because the best headphones I've heard have been stereo.
Some of the good stereo headphones are just nuts for gaming with tremendous dynamics. But they are going to cost you more than you want to spend. If you take out the headset requirement or get a separate microphone for it then you get to be more flexible if you just focus on a headphone. For the power needed in gaming, the Emotiva Basx A-100 is a real champ in direct drive mode paired with appropriate headphones but there are cheaper options and the options I'm telling you are already way out of your budget. Good luck :)
Note: If you get the HD58X, you are going to need a good amp (like the A_100) to get the most out of it.

twsecrest

Thank you for the response!

The only thing this would be use for is Games and Spotify. I really only use the PC for gaming.

On a side note, I was already eyeing the Sennheiser HD58X! I think I will purchase them and give them a shot. I worry that the noise of the fan might be bit distracting with open headphones, but it's worth trying.

I am still going to get a sound device. I can get a GSX 1000 for cheap. So I think I will give it a shot. I heard nothing but good things from other MMO players.
GSX-1000 is way overkill for use with $75 headphones, but if the GSX-1000 price is low enough and your planning on buying the HD58X (or other higher priced headphones), then the GSX-1000 is worth it.

OP
J

josiah

@garbulky

"Is there a reason you definitely want those surround sound headphones? I guess it's for games right? Because the best headphones I've heard have been stereo."

Yes, the reason is that a lot of the games have horrible stereo support (no thoughts/development for spacial stereo sound). I can not detect where anything is coming from in GW2 with plain stereo. With 7.1 sound I can detect where things are coming from. With Hesuvi (as an example) I can trick windows into thinking I have a 7.1 headset. Hesuvi converts it to stereo with spatial surround sound through HRIRs. I went from not being able to detect where sounds are coming from to being able to detect where sounds are coming from with my headphones. The reason I was initially sold on the GSX-1000, is that one of my preferred HRIRs is an emulated version of the GSX1000. I have read that the emulated version is worse than the actual version.

FPS games usually put time/money into spacial sound for stereo output. These are games I hardly play. For those titles, I prefer stereo mode.

Regarding the headphones themselves. They are actually stereo headphones with a lot of praise. I believe Z said best closed headset under $250.

@twsecrest

"GSX-1000 is way overkill for use with $75 headphones, but if the GSX-1000 price is low enough and your planning on buying the HD58X (or other higher priced headphones), then the GSX-1000 is worth it."

That's great to hear. If it's powerful enough for the HD58x and is good for music, it sounds like GSX-1000 is a great option. I was offered it for $80. I think it was a Dell price mistake. I ordered it without thinking. Then I went down the rabbit whole of DACs and Amps. Thanks again.

Last edited:

twsecrest

@garbulky

"GSX-1000 is way overkill for use with $75 headphones, but if the GSX-1000 price is low enough and your planning on buying the HD58X (or other higher priced headphones), then the GSX-1000 is worth it."

That's great to hear. If it's powerful enough for the HD58x and is good for music, it sounds like GSX-1000 is a great option. I was offered it for $80. I think it was a Dell price mistake. I ordered it without thinking. Then I went down the rabbit whole of DACs and Amps. Thanks again.

Wow, GSX-1000 for $80, NICE :)

OP
J

josiah

Update:
Current Setup:
Sennheiser GSX 1000
Philips X2HR or MH751 (if noisy)

@Twescrest, I took your advise and got a different pair of headphones. My friend claims to be an audiophile and had a lot of headphones for me to listen to my favorite music. Dance, Electronic, Pop. I was able to test various headphones including the 58x, 60x, and more. I fell in love with the Philips X2HR's he had. They just sounded fun to me, but I felt like I had all the detail I liked. I feel like I made a good choice since music is subjective. You were right. Those MH751 were better than all other gaming headsets by a big margin; however, the Philips X2HR destroys them.

Thanks for the advise. Hopefully the GSX1000 is good combination. Right now I feel like I have a great setup. I haven't even tried 7.1 mode yet. As I just got the GSX1000 today.

win4

hi
i’m a competitive FPS player and i own the mh751
would the gsx1000 be worth it ?
i don’t mind the price i only seek better footsteps

L5730

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC/Amp.
Makes these cans go plenty loud and sounds 'cleaner' than the Realtek onboard to me.
I bought it because I wanted to have EQ on a device and not have to keep enabling disabling for desktop speakers (also connected to Realtek).

I'm using v1 Takstar Pro82, so these do need some treble correction.
My latest tweaks are this in EqAPO, which I copied from the Fabfilter ProQ settings I worked on. (routed pink noise through virtual cable to compare).

Code:
# TakstarPro82
Preamp: -1 dB

#LowFrequency
Filter: ON LSC 6 dB Fc 10 Hz Gain 7 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 40 Hz Gain 2 dB BW Oct 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 70 Hz Gain 0.7 dB BW Oct 1.3
Filter: ON LSC 13 dB Fc 100 Hz Gain -5 dB

#High Frequency
Filter: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 1.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 4800 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 2.8
Filter: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 1.7

1605019591028.png

If playing at lower volumes, it may be necessary to increase the low end to add some more body.
Listen to Lorn "Acid Rain" and Massive Attack's "Angel". Stock bass does seem too woolly.
Whilst vocal placement drops vertically, stock treble is just too much - but is probably better on v2.

Top Bottom