• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I disable automatic standby in Topping D10s on linux?

• Thread starter Deleted member 58865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58865

Topping D10s uses XMOS chip which has windows driver. XMOS chip works on linux, but I don't know how to disable automatic standby in XMOS chip on linux.

Because of automatic standby, D10s turns itself off after a period of inactivity. Playing music turns it on, but it takes a bit of time to turn on again. It's annoying.

Does anybody know?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Topping D10s uses XMOS chip which has windows driver. XMOS chip works on linux, but I don't know how to disable automatic standby in XMOS chip on linux.

Because of automatic standby, D10s turns itself off after a period of inactivity. Playing music turns it on, but it takes a bit of time to turn on again. It's annoying.

Does anybody know?

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

But, that uses windows driver. I don't have such a driver on linux.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you search for your Linux build and USB power management or usually called auto suspend, there's guides how to disable it.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

If you search for your Linux build and USB power management or usually called auto suspend, there's guides how to disable it.
It turns out that usb autosuspend was already turned off.

I think the problem resided somewhere else. Perhaps, the USB port physically malfunctioned temporarily. I plugged the USB audio devices into USB3 ports to avoid potential USB port malfunctions.

Last edited by a moderator:

alpha_logic

It turns out that usb autosuspend was already turned off.

I think the problem resided somewhere else. Perhaps, the USB port physically malfunctioned temporarily. I plugged the USB audio devices into USB3 ports to avoid potential USB port malfunctions.
I had the same problem with other DACs - if you're running pulse/alsa, I'm not sure how to fix the problem, but you can fix it if you use pipewire:

Disable Pipewire Suspend on Idle to avoid audio pops, delays, and white noise

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I had the same problem with other DACs - if you're running pulse/alsa, I'm not sure how to fix the problem, but you can fix it if you use pipewire:

Disable Pipewire Suspend on Idle to avoid audio pops, delays, and white noise
You can disable usb autosuspend system-wide. USB autosuspend is disabled by default. If it is enabled by default, then your linux distribution enabled it by default, and your linux distribution sucks.

I use ALSA, but I want to set up pipewire with wireplumber when I have time. I learned LUA language, so I can configure wireplumber well.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management#USB_autosuspend has some tips on disabling USB autosuspend system-wide.

For example, passing `usbcore.autosuspend=-1` to kernel arguments will disable USB autosuspend system-wide.

Last edited by a moderator:

alpha_logic

You can disable usb autosuspend system-wide. USB autosuspend is disabled by default. If it is enabled by default, then your linux distribution enabled it by default, and your linux distribution sucks.

I use ALSA, but I want to set up pipewire with wireplumber when I have time. I learned LUA language, so I can configure wireplumber well.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management#USB_autosuspend has some tips on disabling USB autosuspend system-wide.

For example, passing `usbcore.autosuspend=-1` to kernel arguments will disable USB autosuspend system-wide.
I wasn't talking about usb auto-suspend, but about your sound daemon suspending on idle, pulse for example for will suspend if this module is loaded:
### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
# load-module module-suspend-on-idle
I'm sure you'll figure it out : )

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I'm sure you'll figure it out : )
I already have figured it out. It was a USB port malfunction or kernel malfunction or a user mistake which I have not been able to reproduce.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I wasn't talking about usb auto-suspend, but about your sound daemon suspending on idle, pulse for example for will suspend if this module is loaded:
Unfortunately, you have no option but to spend time on figuring out linux audio. If you don't have time, then you have to know linux user experience still sucks.

Linux is only good for people who have lots of free time.

rentaclaus

Definetly wrong. E.g. in my work I have to manage over 100 Linux Workstations and 10 Windows Workstations. For the Linux Workstations I need a lot less time than for windows ...

But back to the topic of this thread

All necessary answers can be found here

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 58865

For the Linux Workstations I need a lot less time than for windows ...
Windows audio needs less attention to details. Linux audio is a fragmented scene.

I'm sure that you can also spend a lot of time on windows outside audio.

raif71

Major Contributor
Another way for Linux users, install vmplayer then make windows as guest on your main Linux machine (the horror :eek:). After that use windows to disable the automatic standby and play audio. Yes, need to boot the windows in the Linux machine just for audio purposes which can be a pain.

Another way is use a windows machine and install Linux as the guest virtual machine and you get to use both windows (for audio) and Linux as your working machine...maybe this is better...hmmm

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Definetly wrong. E.g. in my work I have to manage over 100 Linux Workstations and 10 Windows Workstations. For the Linux Workstations I need a lot less time than for windows ...

I too have set up and managed countless Linux servers over the past three decades, and I agree with you that server Linux is mature, reliable and low maintenance.

I also have to agree with @kenji that the personal computing (desktop) side of Linux is a permanent construction site, and enjoyable only for enthusiasts and tinkerers.

For me, the best desktop Unix experience is macOS.

alpha_logic

Unfortunately, you have no option but to spend time on figuring out linux audio. If you don't have time, then you have to know linux user experience still sucks.

Hah - well, that's definitely true : )

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Another way is use a windows machine and install Linux as the guest virtual machine and you get to use both windows (for audio) and Linux as your working machine...maybe this is better...hmmm
No need for that. I didn't actually need to do anything. It was a USB port malfunction, a kernel malfunction, or a user error. I cannot reproduce the issue now.
My Topping D10s works fine.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

is a privacy nightmare. MacOS doesn't respect your privacy. It may be secure from third parties. I use linux partly because I don't want anyone to breach security of my private digital domain. Using windows or MacOS without heavy modifications is like taking a digital shower under CCTV run by corporations and governments.

Top Bottom