• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I connect 2 amps to one preamp?

Megaken

Hi, I have this passive A/B amp switch

61vDdyMfx2S._AC_SL1200_.jpg

and I want to use it to compare 2 amps by switching between them.

I understand how to connect the speakers, but how do I connect the 2 amps to my preamp?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, depends on some particulars like input impedance of the amps and whether they offer the same gain. Otherwise one may be louder than the other upon switching which is a dead give-away. You likely can just use a splitter type interconnect leaving the preamp and feed both amps from the same output. Is this RCA or XLR coming from the preamp?

OP
M

Megaken

Well, depends on some particulars like input impedance of the amps and whether they offer the same gain. Otherwise one may be louder than the other upon switching which is a dead give-away. You likely can just use a splitter type interconnect leaving the preamp and feed both amps from the same output. Is this RCA or XLR coming from the preamp?
RCAs. Could you maybe find a link when you get a chance?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Hi, I have this passive A/B amp switch

View attachment 258094

and I want to use it to compare 2 amps by switching between them.

I understand how to connect the speakers, but how do I connect the 2 amps to my preamp?
You can get various input/output selectors, like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Selector-Splitter/dp/B07DC3Y3G2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=32ZGND38F59P5&keywords=xlr+switch&qid=1674063353&sprefix=xlr%20switch,aps,88&sr=8-4

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Depending on your intended application, it is OK to use Y-connectors to split one output to two. To some extent, the quality of the result will depend on the output impedance of the preamp and the input impedance of the power amp.
61xIVubtJSL.jpg

It is much less of a good idea to combine two signals using Y-connectors.

EDIT: If you want a switchable connection, there have been myriad little passive switch boxes sold over the decades with RCA inputs and outputs.
The little box in @Count Arthur's second link will work for your application.

OP
M

Megaken

I already have the selector, I'm trying to figure out how to connect 2 amps to 1 preamp, given that none of the amps get connected to the selector (only speaker wires get connected to the selector).

61vDdyMfx2S._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I already have the selector, I'm trying to figure out how to connect 2 amps to 1 preamp, given that none of the amps get connected to the selector (only speaker wires get connected to the selector).

View attachment 258097
That's the wrong type of selector, you need one for RCA/Phono, or possibly XLR. Check the links in my previous post.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 258097
Yes, but with the other selector you would connect preamp to the preamp selector (it has multiple outs that are switched). Then you can flip two switches and change the amps going to the speaker and change which amp is connected to the preamp.

1674064438377.png

OP
M

Megaken

Depending on your intended application, it is OK to use Y-connectors to split one output to two. To some extent, the quality of the result will depend on the output impedance of the preamp and the input impedance of the power amp.
61xIVubtJSL.jpg

EDIT: If you want a switchable connection, there have been myriad little passive switch boxes sold over the decades with RCA inputs and outputs.
I don't understand how to connect the y-connectors you posted.

My preamp has a right channel out and left channel out. ok. If I connect the single ends to a y-connector to my preamp then each amp will only get signal from either the right, or the left channels (not both). Or what am I missing?

OP
M

Megaken

Yes, but with the other selector you would connect preamp to the preamp selector (it has multiple outs that are switched). Then you can flip two switches and change the amps going to the speaker and change which amp is connected to the preamp.

View attachment 258099
But then how do I connect the same speakers to 2 separate amps?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

My preamp has a right channel out and left channel out. ok. If I connect the single ends to a y-connector to my preamp then each amp will only get signal from either the right, or the left channels (not both). Or what am I missing?
You use two. The single end of a connector goes to (eg) left on your preamp. Then one connector on the other end goes to the left channel of each amp (ignore the red/white colouring on the one shown).

Same with the second splitter for the right channel.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But then how do I connect the same speakers to 2 separate amps?
For the speaker to amps, you have the correct switch as shown in your first post. I think there has been some confusion with people thinking you were intending to use that for the RCAs between preamp and amps.

OP
M

Megaken

You use two. The single end of a connector goes to (eg) left on your preamp. Then one connector on the other end goes to the left channel of each amp (ignore the red/white colouring on the one shown).

Same with the second splitter for the right channel.
ooh ok thanks I didn't realize the red/white can be ignored.

OP
M

Megaken

61xIVubtJSL.jpg

So I would probably need a male to 2x male splitter, not male to 2x female as pictured, correct?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

My preamp has a right channel out and left channel out. ok. If I connect the single ends to a y-connector to my preamp then each amp will only get signal from either the right, or the left channels (not both). Or what am I missing
Are you clear on the Y connectors now?
You need two. Each one has a male RCA at one end and can have two male or female RCA at the other end.
For each Y connector: connect the single male to one channel's output on the preamp. Connect one of the two connectors at the other end to the corresponding channel's input (e.g., left to left) on one power amplifier, and the other connector to the second power amplifier. Typically female RCA "jacks" at the "split" end of the Y-connector are most convenient; just extend each of the "outputs" with a standard male to male RCA terminated cable ("interconnect") of the appropriate length(s).

Repeat using the other Y connector for the other preamp channel to 'split' its output to the other channel of each power amplifier.

Loudspeakers are connected to the power amplifiers as usual.

Hope this helps!
:)

EDIT: Perhaps this diagram will help? I am, unfortunately, too lazy to rig up such a splitter connection and take photos of it; sorry!

1674065977004.png

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-slave-an-amplifier-to-another-amplifier-both-of-different-wattage
(sorry about the nomenclature used by that link!)

So I would probably need a male to 2x male splitter, not male to 2x female as pictured, correct?
Only if things will reach! The Y-conectors are typically very short. :)

Last edited:
OP
M

Megaken

Are you clear on the Y connectors now?
You need two. Each one has a male RCA at one end and can have two male or female RCA at the other end.
For each Y connector: connect the single male to one channel's output on the preamp. Connect one of the two connectors at the other end to the corresponding channel's input (e.g., left to left) on one power amplifier, and the other connector to the second power amplifier. Typically female RCA "jacks" at the "split" end of the Y-connector are most convenient; just extend them with, e.g., two male to male RCA terminated cables.

Repeat using the other Y connector for the other preamp channel to 'split' its output to the other channel of each power amplifier.

Loudspeakers are connected to the power amplifiers as usual.

Hope this helps!
:)
yep got it, thanks guys!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yep got it, thanks guys!
Cool - now when you do the testing, don't forget the level matching using a multimeter. Otherwise when you report your results you'll just get a bunch of guys telling you you've done it wrong.:)

OP
M

Megaken

Cool - now when you do the testing, don't forget the level matching using a multimeter. Otherwise when you report your results you'll just get a bunch of guys telling you you've done it wrong.:)
I think you meant spl meter )

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you meant spl meter )
No, SPL meter is not accurate/stable enough, and too sensitive to small movements

You need a multimeter connected to the speaker terminals. Send a 1KHz test tone to both amps, and make sure the voltage delivered from both amps is the same. Target is to get it to within, or at least close to 0.1dB. This means that if one amp is ouputting 2V (1W into 4ohm) then the other needs to be within 0.03V of that, in the range of 1.97V to 2.03V

Last edited:
Top Bottom