• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How did we get there?

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
First, let me introduce myself. My name is Thomas, living in Germany, been born 1988 and I am pretty a music and audio gear aficionado. In searching for deeper information and knowledge about the RME Adi 2 DAC, I found this nice place and was since then here nearly every day, browsing through reviews and threads. So I think, that this is a great place to start a bit of blogging, starting with the next post :)

OP
Sophoheilip

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
How it begun

If you love music as much as I do, there was eventually a point in your life, where you start to be an audiophile. I wonder, from my judgment today, can I still use the A-word, without having others jump to the wrong conclusion?
Let's see in a more or less brief series, which I would like to share with you, of my transition in listening to music and trying out equipment. We will be covering the time from when I was at the age of 12 years until recently. Maybe you had similar experiences or like to share some of yours?

A bit of background: As my native language is german, I hope the text will be fluid and clear to all readers (thanks to spell checking and dictionaries!). At least I hope, you enjoy reading as much as I did writing this!

I didn’t know when it was starting to be a thing for me. When did I begin to care about how something sounds, how did I define good quality?
To determine good from bad you have to see, what are bad quality and the grey areas in between. A very subtle process, biased by largely subjective opinions.
I have a childhood memory, of what perhaps could have been the start of my process. It is me in the late nineties recording nearly everything to a music cassette recorder through a microphone. My brother showed me how to use the play/rec buttons. It was incredibly low volume, the noise was louder than the actual recording. Maybe this was the first time, I was confronted with the signal-noise ratio (SNR). Later on I did spot an "audio output" labelled connector in the front panel of the TV and again my brother was helping me with provided cables and connection. As this time, the old DIN-pin connectors were still in use, it was not a problem that the TV was probably 10 years old. Looking back eventually my brief insight on standardisations, as cables seem to cross fit a wide variety of devices for a long time. Now back in the recording business, I taped dialogues from my favourite VHS movies and listened to them before sleep with a walkman and headphones.
While spending more time listening, I began to find interest in music apart from, let's say, appropriate audio for minors. My Siblings were children of the eighties, so I had access to a collection of Vinyl, MC, CD and even 1/2" reel-to-reel tape filled with music from Kim Wilde, Michal Jackson, A-ha, Soft Cell, Dead or Alive, Cyndi Lauper, etc. You get the idea.
So again it was my brother, who introduced me to his stereo. That the CD was sounding always clear, Vinyl was cracking and sometimes fluttering. So was the tape. But nothing of that bothered me then. I was just listening to music and enjoyed it.

In the following part, I will be writing about my firtst own gear.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welcome to ASR!
For me, being an Audiophile is the intersection of:
1. An interest in and appreciation for the electronics
and
2. the emotional enjoyment of music

These two play off and enhance each other to make something greater than the sum of the parts

OP
Sophoheilip

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!
For me, being an Audiophile is the intersection of:
1. An interest in and appreciation for the electronics
and
2. the emotional enjoyment of music

These two play off and enhance each other to make something greater than the sum of the parts

That sums it pretty much up the most of us, well said!

Last edited:
OP
Sophoheilip

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
The next logical steps

Years on I received a used Panasonic stereo full-stack (including even a graphical visualiser) with Yamaha Monitor speakers and was quite happy then. I landed mostly on listening to techno music, so loud and clear was the name of the game in terms of sound. I experimented with the placement of speakers, started to realise that the bass is differing when altering my or the speaker's position. Hooray, I was getting introduced to room modes. But all I knew then was just, that I have a bit control over the bass level. And all I wanted, you presumed right, was the maximum possible bass!
In time I was fancying more specific variants of electronic music by getting into Trip Hop, Dark Wave, Industrial and such. I did not know the correct term for genres back then, was just attracted to a more melancholic and sometimes also rougher approach.
At this time, my only music source was the CD. But the MP3 was rising and filesharing platforms getting more popular (It first was a grey area here in Germany, the government is not that fast regarding internet related stuff).
So an enormously huge music library was opened to me with the 21st century. I had some songs downloaded, most in the size of 4 Megabyte. But some were just 2 Megabyte or even smaller. How could this be, when the length was not that off? And the smaller files were sounding not right. There was a sort of ringing or hiss that was not supposed to be. So I got only files greater than 3 Megs. That I heard differences in bitrate was not clear to me then.
I listen for a long time mostly on desktop computer speakers, which is not a god solution and connected the soundcards analog output to my amplifier at some point. I started buying CDs again and used downloads only for truly rare stuff. However, I did of cause rip the CDs to my harddisk for convenience and used the computer for Playback. My taste in music was in the meantime transforming again. After a friend did lend me the 'Reign in Blood' Album from Slyer, I was growing to enjoy Metal and Rock in nearly all their flavours.

Top Bottom