• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How did software development become so hard (Windows)???

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never been a fan of Adobe nor its cumbersome software products.
I also have never trusted a server that I did not personally manage.
Now that I found out what one of the Cs in "Adobe CC" stands for, I'll make sure continue avoiding their products.;)
PaintShopPro/IrfanView/FoxIt are my go-to programs.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Software development is becoming more complex as the requirements for software increase. Customers want more advanced features and a good level of optimization.
As an IT person, I can only say that because of the tools available to integrate software developed by multiple people and keep it working it got so much easier and faster to fight bugs than say 10 to 20 years ago, that I would state the opposite argument. Software development and integration has become so much better that it puzzles me why companies keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

Ide's, the tools in which we develop software have become so good in supporting the developer; there is great software version control available like Git; many Cloud solutions are almost plug and play making the pieces of code ever smaller (a good thing for stability and quality control). Pipelines to integrate testing and automatically run them with every change to prevent faults on parts that were built before are default practice almost everywhere. Docker images to prevent configuration changes between test, acceptance and production environment are another example of a very good solution to a problem we had before but now hardly experience.

In short: it all got easier and better integrated from software development perspective. The observation that I share is that Windows software keeps being buggy on parts you wouldn't expect. Like for example crashing after locking the screen and putting the computer to sleep by closing the laptop. I was greeted by a black screen and computer that wouldn't come back out of its sleep state but by hard reset and restarting. Ime this sort of thing happens less with Mac OS and linux based systems, even though Microsoft OS and Cloud based services is a breath of fresh are compared to windows 95, XP, 2000 etc.

Last edited:

Bathrone

I have been going through hell and back with my everyday laptop in the last few weeks.
Great job on resolving the root cause despite the drama. Not having useful info come up after analysing the crash dub in their debugger is a super pain been there as well. I guess Microsoft would say thats why they have their ring 0 kernel model thingy and why other stuff like app space is different. I thought your former employer was trying to manage this risk better these days with what they did with the MS Quality Labs digital signing of driver certificates and having generally more robust V&V T&E around them due to the fact theyre special running in kernel mode.

Similar issues happen everywhere else but even real time stuff for military has same same issues.

Top Bottom