• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How did I grill my dongle?

Hi I have such a how did I damage my equipment question. It is just a usb dongle dac but I want to learn so it does not happen to me again. I got some used naim nait 5i and Vienna acoustics Mozart speakers. To test them out with Roon I flashed a pi4 with RoPieee and from there via a USB A -> C adapter with a usb c to c cable into a Ibasso dc06 dongle. From the dongles 3.5 cinch with a cinch to rca cable into the 5i. It worked nicely for 3min and than I touched the cables a bit and the music stopped. After that the ibasso dc06 dongle seems to be dead. Was my Problem that the dongle was not powerful enough for what I tried to do or is there likely another problem? I am grateful for any tip as I want to order a proper dac but fear I would somehow harm this one as well

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It shouldn't be that easy to damage it. I don't think it was anything you did.

Maybe a static discharge. You can build-up a charge on your body and then electronics can be damaged if you touch them. Usually you have to touch the actual-internal circuitry but sometimes it can happen when touching the input-output ports. You may not feel or see a spark.

Or maybe it was just a "normal" random failure... Solid state electronics tends to fail randomly rather than wear out an the theory is that a failure in the 1st hour is just as likely as a failure in the 10,000th hour, so over the hours (or years) the probability of a failure adds-up.

Or maybe it was a manufacturing defect that didn't show-up right away.

OP
S
Thank you for taking the time to answer my beginner question! That is very reassuring. So I will buy a decent dac from the top list here and try to get a replacement for the dongle

staticV3

Master Contributor
Top Bottom