• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How dangerous is lifting the ground on a source component?

levimax

Major Contributor
Well that's strange. miniDSP support told me it's completely safe to lift the ground of my speakers (Neumann KH120A). Gotta find out myself if I get a Pikachu? :eek:
Lifting the ground is always dangerous and I can't believe MiniDSP would recommend that. While I am sure not to "code" you can mitigate most if not all of the "danger" of lifting the ground by using a GFCI outlet.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Well that's strange. miniDSP support told me it's completely safe to lift the ground of my speakers (Neumann KH120A). Gotta find out myself if I get a Pikachu? :eek:
because this speaker is designed to have save internal ground lift switch

JEarle

Forum Donor
because this speaker is designed to have save internal ground lift switch
Signal ground.

Different to lifting the power ground.

Lifting signal ground should fix the issue safely.

JEarle

Forum Donor
Why would you assume this is what Mini DSP was talking about
I wasn’t really assuming anything that Minidsp said. I was just pointing out that the speaker has a signal ground lift switch and that is different to lifting the safety ground and will likely fix the posters issue.

Top Bottom