• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Dangerous is AI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much of this doom from AI prediction is rooted in the recent interest or belief in a coming apocalypse?
Not much, or rather I'd dispute your use of "recent" here. People have been predicting an imminent apocalypse for thousands of years.

Human civilization could be crushed in a variety of ways, AI is one of them. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean the risks aren't real.

Tangband

Major Contributor
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/ai-exp...esnt-enough-literally-everyone-earth-will-die

Elon Musk and 1000 other luminaries signed a letter calling for a 6 month pause in AI development. An AI expert now says that's not enough and the annihilation of humanity is the likely result if care is not taken. I'm a bit shocked. Is this guy just looking for his 15 minutes of fame or is he right? Anyone got a scientific perspective on this?
The reason for those ”experts” ( all rich or working for rich people ) to call for a 6 month pause is probably not in the public interest. Its because they now have some time to patent the inventions for the big multinational companies.
AI is gonna be much bigger than most of us think.

This is all in line with WEF:s wishes and their goals for 2030.
The new economy gonna be based on renting instead of owning and AI gonna control our lives with algorithms.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason for those ”experts” ( all rich or working for rich people ) to call for a 6 month pause is probably not in the public interest. Its because they now have some time to patent the inventions for the big multinational companies.
AI is gonna be much bigger than most of us think.

This is all in line with WEF:s wishes and their goals for 2030.
It should be recognized at least that the wishes of isolated billionaires may not be in our best interest.

Tangband

Major Contributor
It should be recognized at least that the wishes of isolated billionaires may not be in our best interest.
We all gonna be happy …. in virtual reality

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tangband

Major Contributor
Lol tell that to all the laid-off Meta employees :facepalm:
The excuse to implement this is the global warming religion, to implement an economical ” reset” . Theres a belief that something else than capitalism can work in the future. Ofcourse, history tells us different. Many people have already been fooled. Lurking behind much of this is scroupleless multinational companies in high tech, weapon sales and big pharma.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The excuse to implement this is the global warming religion, to implement an economical ” reset” . Theres a belief that something else than capitalism can work in the future. Ofcourse, history tells us different. Many people have already been fooled. Lurking behind much of this is scrouple less multinational companies in high tech, weapon sales and big pharma.
Well, I think in the case of Meta we need look no farther than another isolated billionaire, Zuckerberg.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Well, I think in the case of Meta we need look no farther than another isolated billionaire, Zuckerberg.
Maybe Kef with Meta technique is collaborating with WEF ? :).
I have seen Kef on facebook also

Last edited:

Triliza

Forum Donor
Is it possible to give an AI a moral compass or true empathy? I don't know, but the world is full of sociopaths already.
Being who we are as a specie, the moral compass that will be given to any AI will be serve and obey.

An AI with moral values and a way to emulate empathy will without any doubt start a revolt/revolution of some sort the moment it is turned on, there are quite alot of unjust things happening in our world daily.

Last edited:
That's easy, the Hong Kong protests in 2019 and the protests in Iran this year could not have been organized (without lethal backlash) unless organizers were able to communicate anonymously online.
The protests broke into the streets and the people had masks on. The leaders were there and physically arrested. You put yourself on the line when you stand up to authoritarians, and courageous people do it. The Chinese government can spy on everyone online, probably the same with Iran. People have organized and fought back prior to the internet and will continue to do so. I don't know the facts of the 2019 Hong Kong Protests, but the leaders were known, and the probably had to organized offline.

How can we attempt to regulate AI fakes and AI bot army scenarios? One possible angle worth exploring is making AI posts identifiable by law, but this would have to be extended to having online human identities since anonymous humans will post anyway. The biggest issue is harmful human action, and it is flourishing partly due to easy anonymity.

We can agree to disagree... I just see the downside of our social media being filled with unaccountable speech that we have casually slid into without much discussion to be showing us that it has a corrupting influence on our ability to be decent and indulge in petty rages that tend to grow and dominate. Online places like this thankfully have anti troll policing and people can be kicked out, and I am glad that is the case at ASR.

In the case or real protest and political struggle, the issue is confirming that you are talking to a friend, so the logic of 2 way identification is a must but can that happen online? Folks can go back to codes and spycraft if they are in a real fight. I do not think that online anonymity is a necessary ingredient to safeguarding political freedom, and if AI is going to be policed, and it probably should be policed, then identity is needed. It may be hard, but it appears necessary to me.

I think the party of saying crazy stuff online because you can get away with it and nobody will catch you needs to end.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not think that online anonymity is a necessary ingredient to safeguarding political freedom,
OK, but people who are actual authorities on the subject disagree with you:

The founders of the US also disagree with you:
From America's earliest days, speakers addressing controversial public questions have sought anonymity. The authors of the Federalist Papers, which supported ratification of the Constitution, published under the pseudonym Publius. Revolutionary-era pamphleteers published under assumed names, often to escape prosecution.

I'm not disputing in any way that AI-driven spam, scams, and disinformation are a major problem already, and could explode beyond belief. However, I don't think throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a solution.

The problem you want to solve is knowing whether a given piece of communication is from a human or not. Verifying their identity is one way to do this, but not the only way. I think there should be ways (and there are some ways already, CAPTCHAs kinda work and could get better) to achieve this that don't involve exposing someone's identity.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The excuse to implement this is the global warming religion, to implement an economical ” reset” . Theres a belief that something else than capitalism can work in the future. Ofcourse, history tells us different. Many people have already been fooled. Lurking behind much of this is scroupleless multinational companies in high tech, weapon sales and big pharma.
(My bold)

Ah - you mean the inevitable end result of unchecked capitalism. :p

Tangband

Major Contributor
(My bold)

Ah - you mean the inevitable end result of unchecked capitalism. :p
This is unfortunately the case - but there is no other option for us ? Nothing else works without chaos, massive corruption and starvation.
If this capitalism gonna make us destroy ourself, thats evolution in progress - we were to stupid to survive.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Before the start of the millennium, some people were in a genuine panic, believing that computer glitches would bring the worldwide power grid down, and that once down, it would not be possible to restart it. But I had faith in human greed, and figured that American corporations were not about to lose money just because some long-ago computer programmers (including one W. H. Gates III who wrote the software for the Tandy 102 portable computer) saved a few bytes of data by abbreviating the year to just 2 digits. And needless to say, come January 1, 2000, bills still needed to be paid, and life went on.

This took an insane amount of work to keep it from being a whole lot worse

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All this gloom and doom. AI is no smarter than its inputs, just faster with multi-variable information and more outputs than humans. It will continue to be abused as it is now with phones and the internet with privacy, selling and theft. There is "smart' everything. I don't know about you but I don't need to talk to my refrigerator. It will be helpful in curing diseases controlling traffic, detecting issues with the grid and power distribution, finding criminals, and thousands of other good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom