• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How come JBL can afford to be so sloppy ????

I can´t believe such a brand can manufacture such a sloppy product.

I purchased my JBL E62BTNC 6 years ago to enjoy HQ music at home, being isolated from all background noise and not disturbing anyone with my music.

Last year, the headphones started to tear apart.
I contacted JBL´s/Harman Customer Service asking for the replacement of the 2 headphone´s capsules and, they simply told me they have no resposibility on the product´s Quality and to go and take it as they are.

I am really upset with JBL and Harman.

How come they can treat a customer like that when it´s clear the issue is their Quality.

Ok guys, up to you.

JBL/Harman... NEVER AGAIN!.

Attachments

• IMG_20240421_153548[1].jpg
    IMG_20240421_153548[1].jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20240421_153614[1].jpg
    IMG_20240421_153614[1].jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20240421_153614[2].jpg
    IMG_20240421_153614[2].jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 264
6 years is a good run I'd say.

I'd also love to see their actual response to your customer enquiry as your paraphrasing doesnt sound particularly corporate.

(they told you ) "they have no resposibility on the product´s Quality and to go and take it as they are"

Last edited:
This is what happens to headphones. My Audio Technica MSR7's headband is in the same state, can't be replaced, got them in 2016. I would never think of contacting AT asking them to repair it, given the warranty is obviously expired, just like yours. If your ear pads cannot be replaced, so be it.
In my case i'm not bothered about mine, as I just recently bought the new Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro X. One of the reasons being, you can replace BOTH the ear pads and headband.
No manufacturer should be called out for making a "sloppy product" because the material finally gave out to wear and tear over 5/6 years. As others have said, be glad you had and enjoyed them for as long as you did.

You can buy replacement pads online for $10-15.
Just google "jbl e65btnc replacement ear pads".

It's a shame that JBL offer neither OEM replacement parts, nor paid out-of-warranty repair.
Practices like that should be illegal.

A small effort from JBL to make their products serviceable and repairable could keep thousands and thousands of JBL products out of landfills.

That being said, expecting them to replace wear parts for free, long after the warranty has ended, is unreasonable.

Last edited:
All headphone pads will wear out. Surprised you got 6 yrs out of them.

Do they not sell replacement pads?
Os really 6 years something acceptable as a lifespan os what are supposed to be HQ headphones???

Bose' , Sony's... Friends who own those, have had them for 20 years now.

Without a scratch or any damage to the foam at all.

I don't feel, given the way I treat mine, they should be wore by now.

No, there are no replacement parts.

Thanks very much for this lead.

It may be my Solution.

Something JBL did not give me.

6 years is a good run I'd say.

I'd also love to see their actual response to your customer enquiry as your paraphrasing doesnt sound particularly corporate.

(they told you ) "they have no resposibility on the product´s Quality and to go and take it as they are"

My text is a summary of the message they conveyed to me when I was enquiring why in the world, headphones that never left my house are in such bad condition.

If you think 6 years is a good time for JBL's headphones to test apart.....

I need to replace the cushions on my Bose noise canceling headphones about every 3 years. $12 on Amazon. Same for my Plantronics headsets. Neither company was any help, I just searched Amazon.

You can buy replacement pads online for $10-15.
Just google "jbl e65btnc replacement ear pads".

It's a shame that JBL offer neither OEM replacement parts, nor paid out-of-warranty repair.
Practices like that should be illegal.

A small effort from JBL to make their products serviceable and repairable could keep thousands and thousands of JBL products out of landfills.

That being said, expecting them to replace wear parts for free, long after the warranty has ended, is unreasonable.
Unreasonable, certainly, but Koss do it. They sent me a set of earpads for free, for my 30 year old Pro4AAs.
Firstly, I was surprised they still support a 30 year old product, and secondly, they do honour their 'Lifetime' Warranty. I now know their warranty is for my lifetime, not the product's....

S.

I need to replace the cushions on my Bose noise canceling headphones about every 3 years. $12 on Amazon. Same for my Plantronics headsets. Neither company was any help, I just searched Amazon.

Surprising how often you need to do that.

The Bose users I know (5 of them) have never replaced the cushions.

Unreasonable, certainly, but Koss do it. They sent me a set of earpads for free, for my 30 year old Pro4AAs.
Firstly, I was surprised they still support a 30 year old product, and secondly, they do honour their 'Lifetime' Warranty. I now know their warranty is for my lifetime, not the product's....

S.
That's what I call : standing by your QA, Customer Service, and caring about enlarging your customer base.

Lucky you!

Do you expect the maker of your car to supply new tyres after 6 years?

Pad wear and durability depends on many factors including materials used, frequency and duration of wear, user's body chemistry etc etc .

This is what happens to headphones. My Audio Technica MSR7's headband is in the same state, can't be replaced, got them in 2016. I would never think of contacting AT asking them to repair it, given the warranty is obviously expired, just like yours. If your ear pads cannot be replaced, so be it.
In my case i'm not bothered about mine, as I just recently bought the new Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro X. One of the reasons being, you can replace BOTH the ear pads and headband.
No manufacturer should be called out for making a "sloppy product" because the material finally gave out to wear and tear over 5/6 years. As others have said, be glad you had and enjoyed them for as long as you did.

Well, I do work for an Electronics manufacturer related to Energy Monitoring and we do offe our customers each and any spare part they may need, even if the Warranty period has expired.

I have never intended JBL to repair my earphones for free.

I just asked them for spare parts.

And they told me they don't have them.

Hence my being upset with that level of care for their products and customers.

Each of of us had the right to take this as one wants.

Mine, is just what it is.

Do you expect the maker of your car to supply new tyres after 6 years?
Bad analogy for a bunch of reasons.

Also, AFAIK, OP doesn't expect JBL to replace the pads for free.
He just wants a way, any way, to get OEM replacements. That's totally reasonable IMO.

these are $200 headphones

earliest review i got is from 2017

i mean... OP seems to think that companies will keep inventories of spare parts for long long long obsoletely generations old products

is that realistic???

its a real high standard to hold for companies who are largely box shippers for their China OEMs right?

i have had headphones fall apart like OPs... from B&W etc.

and when you google the name you get amazon and ebay links for China copy parts for a few bucks

i mean i've never seen legit companies hold parts for effectively 6-7-8yr old commodity consumer electronics walmart products

and OP comes here, like as if this is a direct line to Harman Samsung, like as if they killed his pet dog?

I mean... wow

Bad analogy for a bunch of reasons.

Also, AFAIK, OP doesn't expect JBL to replace the pads for free.
He just wants a way, any way, to get OEM replacements. That's totally reasonable IMO.
Must say given comments from OP they were expecting JBL to make his headphones good again free of charge rather than suggest a route for replacement pads, hence my somewhat incredulous responses.

I don't think im alone in reading things that way but perhaps @World Traveller can clarify their expectation of jbl.

Edit. My interpretation of world travelers position is that they believe

A - the quality of the phones /pads is poor and they expected more than 6 years life

B- JBL should both retain and provide replacement pads and (given A) they shouldn't have to pay.

I don't find either of those positions to be reasonable but apologies if I have misunderstood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom