• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How can I rip the Eagles - Hell Freezes Over DVD to lossless audio tracks?

simbloke

Forum Donor
This thread reminded me that a have a DVD-A disk that my dad bought for me many years ago without knowing what it was. The back of the case says DVD-A 5.1, DTS 5.1, PCM 2.0.
When I try DVD Audio Extractor it shows me the 10 tracks and allows me to choose the output format, so I choose FLAC and it works fine. The files are 96/24.
I then notice there an option to save the files as they are, so I try that and I get 10 MLP files. ffmpeg identifies these files are 96/24 5.1.
I'm left wondering how they went from 5.1 to 2.0, did the software do it's own down-mix or are there some hints in MLP as to what should be done.

OP
M

mashdk

I'm left wondering how they went from 5.1 to 2.0, did the software do it's own down-mix or are there some hints in MLP as to what should be done.

I'm pretty sure, that I'm not understanding your question correctly :cool:
But if you mean, that you have used DVDAE to extract to FLAC-files with only stereo content, then I guess there are two possibilities:
1: You chose the PCM title in DVDAE at the first page of the wizard?
2: You chose the DTS 5.1 title of the DVD, but then in the next page of the wizard you choose to save as stereo FLAC?

In case 2, I would say, that DVDAE does the downmix in software as outlined here: Reddit: How do I convert 5.1 audio to Stereo while preserving original volume and balance?

simbloke

Forum Donor
Actually I think you understand my not very well put point.

Despite what is suggested on the DVD case I only see one title in DVDAE, I did choose that and selected stereo FLAC on the later screen. So it does seem like it would be down-mixed by DVDAE.

When looking at the DVD as 'files' I see the two large files containing the audio data add up to about the same size as the extracted MLP files, which makes sense. I don't see anything that suggests there are separate PCM files on the DVD.

Attachments

• PXL_20210421_194954919.jpg
    PXL_20210421_194954919.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 192
OP
M

mashdk

Okay, not sure about the MLP files.
But in DVDAE when looking at the Eagles DVD, I get three different options for audio from the disc: LPC, AC3 and DTS.
You only get DTS?

DVDAE-AudioTracks.jpg

simbloke

Forum Donor
I see just one title and one option called "MLP (96kHz 24bit 6Ch)".

I then noticed the files in the VIDEO_TS folder amounted to about 2GB so I copied them to my PC, renamed the extensions to be lower case, and asked DVDAE to look at that folder. I then saw LPCM and DTS versions. I then told DVDAE to extract the LPCM to FLAC.

So it looks like this DVD at least puts extra audio in the VIDEO_TS folder and DVDAE doesn't expect that.

adlervft

If you still having problems I can put together a step by step guide to extract using DVD Decrypter. I did this dozens of times already. Best one was the Amy Winehouse live DVD not available on CD.

sritacco

I see just one title and one option called "MLP (96kHz 24bit 6Ch)".

I then noticed the files in the VIDEO_TS folder amounted to about 2GB so I copied them to my PC, renamed the extensions to be lower case, and asked DVDAE to look at that folder. I then saw LPCM and DTS versions. I then told DVDAE to extract the LPCM to FLAC.

So it looks like this DVD at least puts extra audio in the VIDEO_TS folder and DVDAE doesn't expect that.

I have two different usb DVD drives I use, If one drive has trouble with a disk I try the other. I have the best luck with an old Samsung, but every once in a while it has trouble and then I try an LG. I have seen one drive not read a disk and the other succeed more than a few times.

Last edited:

simbloke

Forum Donor
If you still having problems I can put together a step by step guide to extract using DVD Decrypter. I did this dozens of times already. Best one was the Amy Winehouse live DVD not available on CD.
Thanks but I have managed to do this. Once I copied the files to my PC and told DVD AE to look in the VIDEO_TS folder then it was fine.

Top Bottom