• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How can I get best/most pure Qobuz sound signal to DAC?

desertrat

Forgive me if I've not found this information/discussion when I searched for posts here. I have read some posts regarding "noise," certain degradation to signal quality using a computer>USB>DAC. But the post I've read haven't given me the answers I'm looking for in terms of how to obtain the best, most pure signal to the DAC. I should state that my objective is this: 1) a temporary solution for improvement of the signal from my laptop to DAC; 2) Ultimate solution for Qobuz to DAC. Note: eventually, I would prefer to use Qobuz from my listening chair, not being tethered to a USB cable, but I'm fine with the USB tether. I know some audiophiles I follow use a Mac Mini that has been highly customized and optimized, and also use a carefully selected USB cable. They also use super-customized/modified DACs. But these guys have access to people who customize this stuff, audiophile EE's, etc., and I do not (at least I don't know any).

My system is Pass Labs preamp, Pass Labs amp, to DeVore 0'96 loudspeakers. I have added digital streaming to my vinyl setup, so I'm a entirely new to it. I subscribed to Qobuz and purchased a Topping D50-S. I stream (is "streaming" the proper technical term I should be using?) Qobuz on a new Thinkpad T490s, using an. off-the-shelf 1- meter USB cable. I do not know which sound "speaker" selection to use from among the three choices offered (Wasapi, Wasapi Exclusive, Direct Sound). And I don't know if any of these (or all) are good or fairly poor. I also realize that the Topping D50s may not be up to par with the rest of my system for the quality of sound ultimately want. But it is where I have begun. I'd be thankful if you would keep in mind my very low-level tech knowledge - you might lose me pretty quickly :)

gvl

Major Contributor
Choose Wasapi Exclusive to your Topping, that's it. If you want to control Qobuz from the chair using a mobile device the easiest is to buy a Chromecast Audio off eBay and connect it to your DAC with a mini Toslink optical cable. It will be limited to 96kHz sampling rate but that's all you really need.

Edit: I remember having issues with 96kHz streaming from Qobuz to Chromecast but 44.1khz worked fine, so ymmv.

Top Bottom