• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How best to unify a line level system

mvandevander

I have a 2.1 setup with exclusively active speakers (A pair of Edifier R1280T bookshelf speakers and a Klipsh R-120SW for the sub). At the moment, I'm running a Windows PC into all 3 speakers and I was running an auxillary RCA stereo pair from my TV into the Edifiers, which at least got me some better sound for the TV, but didn't include the sub. Now I just bought a new TV (LG C2 55") and it only has digital outputs (HDMI-ARC and TOSLink). So I feel like it's as good a time as any to get serious and just unify everything somehow. I considered a receiver since it would definitely support HDMI-ARC (including volume control), but it seems like receivers are generally designed to do the amplification themselves and feed into passive speakers. A few very expensive ones have pre-outs for all the channels, but I don't think I want to spend more than the TV on a receiver. So, I've looked at other cheaper options (HDMI-ARC DAC into a passive mixer, for one). I really am not sure what my options are, or if I'm overestimating the importance of keeping everything line level.

(edit) After some diagramming and figuring out ways to simplify things, I have at least decided on some things to try. Going to run the tv into an ARC extractor and then run that and the PC both into a passive mixer, and the passive mixer I'll split out to the bookshelfs and the sub.

Last edited:
Top Bottom