• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How and where do you listen music

How and where do you listen music “in general”?

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please vote the type of system and/or where do you generally listen to music. By that I mean not spend the most amount of time but where and how you listen to music, critically, paying attention to it. Like when you want to listen a new release, or a track/album you heard about, etc. This is why I haven’t included portable speakers or radios.

Edit: changed the vote to multiple answers.

If you have more than one system that fit the criteria please vote for the one you use the most.

If you have a separate Home Theatre and music systems please vote for the one you use for critical listening, irrespective of music or film soundtracks.

Using a subwoofer is irrelevant for this poll.

If you use multiple speakers on your desk please use the “in a room using multiple speakers” option.

PS. Sorry for the typo in headphones. I couldn't edit it.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For me it has changed the last few years. My answer would have been in a room using stereo speakers. With my non-dedicated surround system becoming much better then a room with multiple speakers is the answer.

@sarumbear
Also, while not my cup of tea, you probably need a choice for headphones. Definitely a sizable slice of music listeners these days.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me it has changed the last few years. My answer would have been in a room using stereo speakers. With my non-dedicated surround system becoming much better then a room with multiple speakers is the answer.

@sarumbear
Also, while not my cup of tea, you probably need a choice for headphones. Definitely a sizable slice of music listeners these days.
Thank you. I added the HP option.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Propheticus

I added both options. Thank you.
Thanks. Added my vote.
It's btw not that I like listening to music in my car the most, it's just a place and time it's always on. Dedicated music listening (the mindful type) happens in a room with multiple speakers...but in stereo for music mostly.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Added my vote.
It's btw not that I like listening to music in my car the most, it's just a place and time it's always on. Dedicated music listening (the mindful type) happens in a room with multiple speakers...but in stereo for music mostly.
I specifically refrained to use the term “most” and used general instead to mean the type of listening you define as “the mindful type.” Unless you specifically prefer to listen music in the car, it is akin to listening to radio — that’s what I think, naturally everyone is different.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does "critically" particularly mean?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
'Critical' listening on the stereo.
'Most' listening, however, occurs in the bar, on the jukebox. =)

Propheticus

I specifically refrained to use the term “most” and used general instead to mean the type of listening you define as “the mindful type.” Unless you specifically prefer to listen music in the car, it is akin to listening to radio — that’s what I think, naturally everyone is different.
That's not what I understood reading 'generally'. Changed my vote..

tomkatt

Technically my main setup is a 5.1.2 in my living room, but I do most of my listening during the workday or when I'm exercising in my office on my 2.1 setup in there. I split my time relatively evenly between the living room and office setup, but in the living room it's usually more just background music, I listen more critically at my desk.

I'm not a fan of headphones, I spend a lot of time at work in a headset in meetings, so I'm all about using full speakers and listening in open air.

I voted "in a room with stereo speakers" instead of "at a desk using stereo speakers" though because my speakers aren't on the desk, they're on 36" stands at ear height when sitting, separated from the desk itself, and I'm using full bookshelf speakers and not monitors.

Charger

I listen more and more on my cheapo 2nd hand AV setup. Just using Direct mode through two JBL floor speakers. In the lounge room.

It just fills the space, and my house with music.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
my "critical" listening is done on the headphone rig. That's where I go when I want to be blown away by sound and hearing every detail. I've got a nice 2.0 speaker rig that sounds fantastic but I live in an apartment and I'm pretty cognizant of making sure I'm not bugging the neighbors so I'm not really able to fully-enjoy the speaker set up.

But I also do a significant amount of listening in the car. I have a 4 hour round trip drive to make every week or two and so I listen to music during that ride on a bluetooth speaker since the stock stereo in my car is really terrible. I have no illusions about "fidelity" in that situation - I mean cars aren't really the place for that anyway but the Bluetooth speaker I use isn't even a stereo speaker lol. It does sound surprisingly good though! But not Hi-fi in any way.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Man Cave.jpg

Genuine Man Cave listening, complete with the Comfy Chair.

Top Bottom