• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How accurate are the iLoud MTMs for critical listening (mixing/mastering)?

EPC

In comparison to a ‘cheaper’ pair of Genelecs or Neumanns

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hard to answer that one. Probably not a lot of people who have them available for direct comparison, so you'll mainly have people tell you what they like about a particular one. Hard to go wrong with Genelec, the 8010A matches price. Neither will do everything at that price (especially deep bass—though you can get it, at the expense of loudness in both cases.

I might have tried Neumanns, on reputation and reviews, at substantially more money (and I got the iLoud MTM's on Cyber Week pricing retroactively—$560/pr—but even at $700 the value is high), but I wanted them mainly to flank my 32" Pro Display XDR, and the iLoud beats the others handily on width.

I can tell you the iLouds are fairly flat (and come with correction including mics), and the imagining is pretty good. Working on a tune, and my music partner is a freelance recording engineer and producer sent me a mix; I had to take him to task on the poor use of stereo field and overlapping instruments, and he fixed it. I bought them as monitors for my computer, but hoped they'd also serve as a second reference for mixing, and I think they are going to serve well. (My mains are Equator Q10, my buddy's are the Q10s, Focal Twin BE, and KRK. He hasn't been over since pre-COVID, but will come by soon to assist in tracking and I think he'll be impressed with the MTMs.)

I'm sure all three are legit small reference monitors for mixing and mastering. I think all three are getting some use in serious studios for that purpose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom