• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How about the Matrix Mini-i Pro 2/s?

phinicota

I see a lot of people favoring the Topping DX7/s but nobody talks about the Matrix Mini-i Pro 2 and the Matrix Mini-i Pro 2S.

Just in case people don't know it, it's in the same price range (400-500 us$) but comes with IR remote, bluetooth APTX input, it has balanced XLR outputs, comes with a ESS SABRE Ultra ES9016S (8 channel audiophile version) and OP amp LME49720.

Here's more info:
http://matrix-digi.com/en/products/122/index.html#page2

I can't find any reviews or discussions online, so if it could be reviewed or anyone has had any experience with it, I would really appreciate any comments.

mondaying

Very interested by this product, the bluetooth aptx in input is a very desirable feature. If the DAC part performs well naturally.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That output impedance value will cause some problems with some earphones though.

OP
P

phinicota

Yeah, I don't really care about the headphone amp functionality.
Nevertheless, I haven't seen any alternative with less than 10 ohm output impedance in this price range (I believe Topping DX7/s are <20 ohms?).

I do have a Sony MDR-MA900 which are 12 ohms. You mean low impedance headphones like this one could could issues?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
High output impedance can shift the frequency response curve on headphones / earphones. How much or how badly affected depends on the phones in question.

If you're looking at connectivity with a DAC function, maybe you can take a look at the SMSL DP3. Its wifi and LAN connectivity is hard to beat anywhere. And that's on top of Bluetooth.

http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=145

OP
P

phinicota

Looks cool, but seems more focused on the heaphone amplifier part (which interests me the least) and doesn't have a balanced analog output for speakers.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Ah ...ok. Haven't look at too many with multiple connection options that have balanced output for speakers yet.

If BT 5.0 (fully backward compatible with AptX and AptX HD) is of interest, you could get a BT 5.0 receiver that has Optical and Coaxial outputs for the DAC of your choice though. I use one from this chinese brand called 'Misson' for my DAC. Pretty convenient when its purely for ambient music.

Last edited:

MbphotoX

So far, this DAC seems to be the nr. 1 best option for anyone looking for a dac with balanced outputs and a usable headphone amp.

I guess, they have 10 Ohms output impedance, because people are more likely to use high impedance studio headphones with a "pro" DAC?

How do the Grado RS2e and Beyer DT1350 measure impedance-wise? Could they be used with this DAC?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I see a lot of people favoring the Topping DX7/s but nobody talks about the Matrix Mini-i Pro 2 and the Matrix Mini-i Pro 2S.

Just in case people don't know it, it's in the same price range (400-500 us$) but comes with IR remote, bluetooth APTX input, it has balanced XLR outputs, comes with a ESS SABRE Ultra ES9016S (8 channel audiophile version) and OP amp LME49720.

Here's more info:
http://matrix-digi.com/en/products/122/index.html#page2

I can't find any reviews or discussions online, so if it could be reviewed or anyone has had any experience with it, I would really appreciate any comments.
The Mini-i Pro 2S uses the ES9026 chip.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
And ES9026Pro is the successor of the 9016S, according to ESS.
The ES9026 is part of the trio high performance chips in their lineup : ES9026 - ES9028 - ES9038.
Amir tested several dacs with the ES9038, only one came out (very) good, the Gustard X26.
Two dacs with the ES9028, one very good, one good.
So far no dac with the ES9026 was on his test table.

Looking around the internet there are actually only a few dacs with the ES9026 to be found one of them the Matrix audio mini-i pro 2s.

Top Bottom