• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Horn Loading RAAL Ribbon Tweeter --- Full Measurement Comparison

Chris A

Thanks for that suggestion--but I'll decline since all contributors in that thread are pretty far away from a consistent realization of "narrow directivity". In all cases in that thread, the loss of directivity in their referenced loudspeakers below 1 kHz and their apparent unwillingness to properly acoustically treat smaller listening rooms (<5000 cubic feet volume) are systemic issues. Trying to wave away the issues of midrange loss of directivity (generally 100-1000 Hz), this issue is consistently ignored as a significant problem. We live in the midrange. Comments about room acoustics taking over below 500-1000 Hz are incorrect. The loudspeakers that they reference do not have controlled horizontal or vertical directivity below 500-1000 Hz.

User hvbias made a comment about K-402 horns here that I responded to. That was the reason for my response here--up until your suggestion to move to another thread.

My comment about line sources is still one that I think the readers here should consider carefully. For efforts in getting short decay times and low mass effects of line sources of finite length (less than the room height but greater than ~2 inches in height), the trade-off is a severe loss in vertical coverage angle at higher frequencies, and I find that there are significant issues with the listening properties of line source high frequency drivers on front loudspeakers in-room. I find myself soon wandering away from those type of line source HF drivers/horns vs. loudspeakers having effectively point source capability and full range directivity.

Chris

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is also Klipsch K-402 which controls directivity down to ~ 400 Hz with a wide bandwidth compression driver (people tend to use TAD) there is no need for a tweeter. The issue is it's absolutely massive, the K-402 on the right next to a Cornwall.

Yes, it's an amazing horn ...if you could buy it!

Chris A

You can! With a compression driver and stand attached (i.e., KPT-402-HF assembly). Just ask any Klipsch dealer by that part number. Recommend the K-691 driver option.

If you want a box around it, it's called a KPT-305-MB assembly, which includes the K-402 horn. It comes with an 8" driver that is easily replaced with a 2" compression driver.

218674356_KPT-305front.jpg.4469c25bcdf1a2088c4f8e597b100bbe.jpg

A KPT-305 was the basis of the prototype K-402-MEH (multiple entry horn).

Chris

Top Bottom