• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Horizontal listening

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While camping and lying on the ground, I always noticed the superb spatial resolution I heard. I imagined that this it the way Mother Earth designed our hearing/ head system, so that we could hear the direction things were coming while making camp. I guess, listening to music in concert halls has not been a design criteria for our hearing system.
Having installed my second stereosystemen in my bedroom, I noticed how superbly it sounds listening to it lying in bed. Great spatial resolution, good bass too, probably from the proximity to the floor.
Makes me wonder if we should not re-design our listening rooms, so we listen to music lying in front of the speakers. The spatial separation of an elongated front end versus a round one is substantial. I am not sure how this translates into 5.1 system.
I am not sure if the frequency response of the ear being hit with sound from “the bottom” is different too. The HTF papers that I know do not cover that. I guess DRC algorithms need to be modified too; the topic “room curve” should receive a new chapter.

Have others noticed that too...?

Hipper

You could ask women that come from a long family line of prostitutes?

Anyway, I prefer the idea of floating face down above my music system, which sometimes I almost seem to do.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
you want to add complication to complication ?;) it's already not easy to get a very good result in the tweeter axis ...then, maybe the atmos system is made for you.

Top Bottom