• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

horizontal listening position

Hello, This is a pretty unique question I haven't found much on. I'm a massage therapist and I'm looking to create the best music experience possible for my clients, as many are personal friends who I know through music, often times the session doubles as an album listening party.

currently I have a pretty standard setup with 2 bookshelf speakers evenly spaced in front of the head of the massage table, but I've noticed this positioning has an interesting sonic effect. when I place my face in the head cradle and the tops of my ears are pointed towards the speakers it sounds very different than when I look up with my face facing towards the speakers. I suspect its because of the human ear shape and it causes a loss of higher frequencies.

So I ask, how would you tackle this situation? I think with room eq it has great protentional because the exact head listening position is controlled to within an inch or two at most. I also plan to treat the room with some diy acoustic panels. The big question though is speaker placement. In floor and in ceiling aren't options for me at the moment and I don't think they would be good solutions anyway. My first thought is speakers to the left and right of the listener pointed towards each other. Would this cause any issues I should know about?

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hello, This is a pretty unique question I haven't found much on. I'm a massage therapist and I'm looking to create the best music experience possible for my clients, as many are personal friends who I know through music, often times the session doubles as an album listening party.

currently I have a pretty standard setup with 2 bookshelf speakers evenly spaced in front of the head of the massage table, but I've noticed this positioning has an interesting sonic effect. when I place my face in the head cradle and the tops of my ears are pointed towards the speakers it sounds very different than when I look up with my face facing towards the speakers. I suspect its because of the human ear shape and it causes a loss of higher frequencies.

So I ask, how would you tackle this situation? I think with room eq it has great protentional because the exact head listening position is controlled to within an inch or two at most. I also plan to treat the room with some diy acoustic panels. The big question though is speaker placement. In floor and in ceiling aren't options for me at the moment and I don't think they would be good solutions anyway. My first thought is speakers to the left and right of the listener pointed towards each other. Would this cause any issues I should know about?
The person is laying down with the face towards the floor? I would assume that’s the case

I mean shouldn’t be a huge issue. Besides EQ toe in would the next factor before eq. I’m just not quite sure what the issue is.

Seems like bookstand speakers with small stands will solve all your problems

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Which speakers exactly (with full multiple ° horizontal axis measurements)? Salune space and positioning scratch with appropriate spacing and a picture and UMIK 1 measured response (with REW) on desired listening place or more of them to try to make shawe off in highs more even across them.

AudiOhm

You are putting too much thought into it, are they there to get a message or listen to music?

If a message, don't worry, if to listen to music you will be jumping through hoops to satisfy every position possible...

Ohms

Top Bottom