• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Honest cable reviews (?)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't see how he can accurately switch cables on an IEM and measure the effect acoustically as he is showing. Likely the small difference is due to IEM fit changing in the measurement setup.

OP
G

Gabs

I don't see how he can accurately switch cables on an IEM and measure the effect acoustically as he is showing. Likely the small difference is due to IEM fit changing in the measurement setup.
So do you think that the graph shows nothing ?
I thought that it showed that even that this cable is well made, there is no difference with the stock one.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
well, reading the above, I'm definitely one of "those objectivists" who scoffs at what Tyll has written in his summation. Afaic, the starting point for this debate is identifying difference in blind testing. Saying "I doubt I could tell a difference in a blind test but..." isn't good enough. The reference to jitter characteristics being an issue with CD players is not particularly meaningful. When people were claiming differences between CD players, were those differences confirmed in blind tests? If so, then we have no debate...there's an audible difference and we can start looking for an explanation. If not, then how is jitter a problem? The fact that one CD player has more jitter than another only matters if it is audible. I'd be willing to bet lots of CD players the golden-ears claimed sounded better or worse bitd had no jitter differences at all...

I can't for the life of me find it, but there was a post a few months back of some guy posting FR measurements of swapping cables on his Andromeda's. They were notably different.
To be fair, Andromedas are so sensitive that they've become a meme because of it.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, Andromedas are so sensitive that they've become a meme because of it.

I have mine with 8 wire multi-strand pure silver which looks intricate

48477686262_92caff0e7f_k_d.jpg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually don't bother with cable 'reviews' since life is too short. However, I read a recent review of the Parasound John Curl amplifier while slumming the Net, and wanted to check that out in light of the Parasound preamp review here on ASR. I won't link to the site (easily found with a search), but it's from a guy named John Johnson who is evidently somehow associated with the Secrets of Home Theater site.

Anyhow, in the middle of the amplifier review John goes off on a bizarre (to my mind) tangent about some four thousand dollar hook-up wire (you need eight thousand dollars worth for stereo). His rationale for recommending the cable? He writes (I'm paraphrasing) that with these cables you won't have to worry about them shorting out your amp or otherwise coming loose from the terminals.

So I'm thinking... what sort of terminations do they have that are so well designed? Speakon? Locking bananas? Some other vice grip-like proprietary connection? Nope. From the picture it's just regular plug 'em in plug 'em out bananas. And then he says that most folks should go with the spade lugs for a 'more permanent attachment'. I was almost laughing out loud. Spade lugs, secure?

For my part, I've never had a speaker cable short out and pop my amplifier protection circuitry. First, amp protection circuitry is there for that sort of thing, and secondly, you don't need to spend eight large for decently constructed cables. Far from it. To imply that you do is... well, you can come to your own conclusions.

This is the sort of 'reviewing' that gives audio reviewing a bad name. It's the sort of reviewing that makes people laugh at the hobby.

PS: how about the amp, you're asking? How did it measure? Powerhouse for sure. But at seventeen thousand dollars, the three thousand dollar (or six thousand dollars if you need bridged, or twelve thousand dollar if you want to bi-amp four in bridged mode) Benchmark doesn't have much to worry about. LOL

Top Bottom