• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hometheater setup - help needed pls

OP
W

warrior047

Thank you mate. I have a question. I was thinking rear surrounds and 2 ceiling ones, instead of rear surrounds, can we try 2 front heights on wall. Alternatively can we just have 4 ceilings and just LCR with sub.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Thank you mate. I have a question. I was thinking rear surrounds and 2 ceiling ones, instead of rear surrounds, can we try 2 front heights on wall. Alternatively can we just have 4 ceilings and just LCR with sub.
That depends on if you want/watch shows and movies with ATMOS. My recommendation is a solid 5.2 system. I added two more surround and eventually 4 ceiling speakers and that was all less impactful than just having good subs and 5 speakers.

I understand the limitations, but if I was in your position I’d get 5 KEFs and two subs that could fit nicely in my area and budget. I’d spend the time installing and running Audyssey and just enjoying the heck out of it.

radix

Major Contributor

I agree with @Webninja, the 5.2 part is the most important. Take a look at the Denon manual about supported configurations in the speakers section. I use 5.2.2, where I have 2 front atmos that I will be replacing soon with 2 front heights. I don't think the atmos really work in my room. I'm hoping heights will do better. I didn't want to go through the trouble of ceiling. I put my money in to LCR, surrounds, and subs, which also makes it really nice to listen to multi-channel music on the occasion.

I think having surrounds around ear level would be more important than rear ceiling or heights. You want the effect of hearing something behind you.

There are, of course, aesthetic considerations, and those might be very important in some cases.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I only did my 4 ceiling ATMOS because that room was being renovated and the drywall was out. For the effort and money, not a great ROI. Not much content I have watched really utilizes ATMOS.

OP
W

warrior047

That depends on if you want/watch shows and movies with ATMOS. My recommendation is a solid 5.2 system. I added two more surround and eventually 4 ceiling speakers and that was all less impactful than just having good subs and 5 speakers.

I understand the limitations, but if I was in your position I’d get 5 KEFs and two subs that could fit nicely in my area and budget. I’d spend the time installing and running Audyssey and just enjoying the heck out of it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I like the idea here. Because i am doing interiors for my flat, i thought i should have the ceilings done when we have a chance to not miss out the Atmos part.

I am still inclined to good old LCR, rear surrounds and 1 sub as of now. Adding ceilings is optional though

OP
W

warrior047

Dear all,
I will stick to 5.1.2 only and will opt for ceilings. But is there any guide for placement w.r.to positions and installations? I am trying to get these from dealer and they are charging freight, consultation and installation charges hugely and i want to avoid.

I am opting out Dali and others and have almost closed in below options considering service as well in my area. Also one question - u have given yellow highlighted one for subwoofer and that is possible here but need to check. Any reason to not place subwoofer on the other side of the TV unit where in we are open to the living room? Am opting for a sealed sub only to avoid rumbling of the woofer as its an apartment. Either SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL HT1205. Which one is better for clean accurate and punchy bass? Also do i need a power conditioner? Will use Belkin Surge protector anyways.

Pls also look at below options now as i got to know about Monitor Audio and heard great things from Dealer. For my requirement, am thinking of Bookshelves as of now.

Option 1 -> Bookshelves (KEF or Monitor Audio)
LR -> KEF Q350 or MA Silver 100 7G
Center -> 2.5 way KEF Q650 or 3 Way MA Silver C250
Rear Surrounds -> Wharfedele WH-DFS or KEF T101
Ceiling Atmos ->Q Acoustics QI 80C or Polk Audio RC80i or Monitor Audio Pro 80
Sub -> SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL Acoustics HT/1205 -> Dont want Huge sub as i need compact sub which is enough for the room size with right and punchy bass.
AVR -> Denon X2700H or Marantz SR5015 (Dealers recommending Marantz SR6015 or Denon X4700H/X3700H claiming to give best prices)

Total price for KEF setup as above -> 4400 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)
Total price for MA setup as above -> 4850 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)

Option 2 -> Floorstanders (KEF or Monitor Audio)
LR -> KEF Q550 or MA Silver 200 &G
Center -> 2.5 way KEF Q650 or 3 Way MA Silver C250
Rear Surrounds -> Wharfedele WH-DFS or KEF T101
Ceiling Atmos ->Q Acoustics QI 80C or Polk Audio RC80i or Monitor Audio Pro 80
Sub -> SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL Acoustics HT/1205 -> Dont want Huge sub as i need compact sub which is enough for the room size with right and punchy bass.
AVR -> Denon X2700H or Marantz SR5015 (Dealers recommending Marantz SR6015 or Denon X4700H/X3700H claiming to give best prices)

Total price for KEF setup as above -> 4800 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)
Total price for MA setup as above -> 5800 USD (Including above LCR, Surrounds, Ceilings, Sub, AVR)

radix

Major Contributor
You can look at the recommended 2700 speaker configs in the manual.

They show using front wall heights or mid-ceiling heights if you are going 5.x.2. I've never done ceiling speakers, so I'm just repeating here what's in the on-line Denon manual.
Pict%20Height%20SP%20Layout%20X2200_ZHOBILzhloogcq.png

Pict%20Top%20SP%20Layout%20X2200_ZHOBILdmkdybjn.png

If you want front ceiling, they show this positioning

Pict%20SP%20Layout%20Side%20X2200_ZHOBILmcqkvacr.png

Pict%20SP%20Layout%20Top%20X2200_ZHOBILgquchcgl.png

OP
W

warrior047

After much thought and having personally heard, have decided below config as i have decided with Monitor Audio Silver 300 series, the floor standers. The sound seemed nice to me and i liked it.

LR -> MA Silver 300 7G Floor standers
Center -> MA Silver C250
Rear Surrounds -> Monitor Audio Bronze FX or Wharfedele WH-DFS
Ceiling Atmos -> Monitor Audio Pro 80
Sub -> SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL Acoustics HT/1205 or Ascendo Sv-12 or Sunfire HRS 10
AVR -> Denon X2700H or X4700H only if there is a power need to be confirmed

Am also planning to just go with 5.0.2 for now as the 300 series have some bass with them and i cant afford that sub immediately.

Kindly suggest if this makes sense

radix

Major Contributor
After much thought and having personally heard, have decided below config as i have decided with Monitor Audio Silver 300 series, the floor standers. The sound seemed nice to me and i liked it.

LR -> MA Silver 300 7G Floor standers
Center -> MA Silver C250
Rear Surrounds -> Monitor Audio Bronze FX or Wharfedele WH-DFS
Ceiling Atmos -> Monitor Audio Pro 80
Sub -> SVS SB-1000 Pro or REL Acoustics HT/1205 or Ascendo Sv-12 or Sunfire HRS 10
AVR -> Denon X2700H or X4700H only if there is a power need to be confirmed

Am also planning to just go with 5.0.2 for now as the 300 series have some bass with them and i cant afford that sub immediately.

Kindly suggest if this makes sense

I don't have any experience with those speakers. This thread on ASR says Monitor Audio is a mixed bag, but the devil is always in the details of the specific speaker choices.

EDIT: There's a Stereophile measurement of the Silver 300 floor stands.

I think subs are more important than atmos, especially for movies. Many movies have a lot of low-frequency content. A lot of movies don't even have atmos encoding. Personally, I do not hear atmos much from my 2 front heights, while I hear the lows a lot.

Last edited:
OP
W

warrior047

Dear all,
I am now going to install the HT. Am from India.
Problem is - i have good power on/off issues and is it a good idea to consider below options?

1. Static Stabilizer+Belkin Surge Protector/Distribution box
2. Online UPS for AVR
3. Power Conditioner like AudioQuest/Furman/Local brand
4. Offline back-UPS just to keep AVR on while the generator kicks in

Is there a risk if the AVR abruptly shuts down or can it take care of few voltage fluctuations?

Top Bottom