• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home Theater "Upgrade" Gut Check

Mezmo

Howdy, new around these parts. I'm looking to upgrade a 20-year-old Marantz AVR and was hoping to get talked out of making unnecessary mistakes.

First, a little orientation to my situation.

I do not have a dedicated HT room. Rather, live in a NYC apartment where the system is in our primary living space (sharing space with piles of toys from the 1 and 6 year olds).

Realistically, I doubt that I'll ever bother with more than 5 speakers on the listening plane. Subwoofers are right out -- and entirely unnecessary for load the place up with plenty of low-end energy.

In another life, I spent a fair amount of time and money chasing 2-channel fidelity. The two-channel system is quite OK, and includes wires and isolation solutions that cost several times what I paid for the old Marantz AVR. I befriended acoustic engineers who excepted payment in beer and music to tinker with and optimize the system. My room is -- by far -- the weak link. Sadly, that won't change. But it still sounds pretty good.

The HT bits run into a bypass on the stereo preamp for the front L & R speakers (Verity Audio Parsifals). Center is an old Thiel SCS 3.0 (runs at 4 ohms, little finicky for power), surrounds are some Def Tech BPX bi-polar whatevers (easy, unfussy, unspecial load).

The ask:

The Marantz AVR has got to go. These days, without HDMI, it just won't do its admittedly modest job of making the whistles and bells go for very basic surround sound.

So, then what? I've spent several weeks reading reviews and such. Stumbled upon this place, liked the ethos, and thought to ask.

I had settled on a solid 7.1 pre/pro and some extra channels of amplification. Was zeroing in on the Outlaw 976 and likely a 5-channel amp -- for which the Outlaw offering also looked plenty sufficient. That way, I can make all of my current speakers go and build in the ability to add two more if I ever get around to it. That, I think, is the reasonable play.

But then I started down the rabbit hole of object-based sound processing and the new crop of silly. While there's little chance of adding more than five speakers in my space on the listener's plane, I could very reasonably add a couple/four height channels. So, then I start thinking, is there a reasonable way to get that done...?

From what I've read (here and elsewhere, bust most convincingly here), the answer to that question is most likely: no, not at the moment. Ruling out AVRs as something that doesn't interest, looks like the principal entry points for Atmos/DTS:X capable processors are Emotiva's two offerings and the Monoprice right in between. All of which are new-ish and have their fair share of compromises. (To be politic.) Each would get me way more channels than I would ever use, but there seems to be no other way to break the plane and grab even a pair of height channels. (Realistically, I'd want to run 5.0.2, maybe 5.0.4.) They would also get me (theoretically, and/or eventually) some more advanced room correction -- which my "challenging" room would greatly benefit from. But that all comes at the cost of 3-4 times that of the Outlaw, as well as -- probably -- a 7-channel amp v. a 5 and two-to-four height channel speakers (which I would do on the cheap, because I'm not sure I see the point in doing otherwise).

So, there it is. My question. The answer, I think, is to make happy with the old generation codecs and wait for the rest of it to mature. But that, given my room constraints and disinterest in spending enough to get passed the arguably-shaky entry point for the current-gen stuff, trying to scrape into Atmos/X functionality is just not worth it at this point.

Does that sound right? Many thanks.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Need more details. Can you draw quick layout of the room, with the walls, seating, and TV?

OP
M

Mezmo

Perhaps pictures? Too lazy to flog my meager drawing skills, but I put a description of the place up over at Audiogon forever ago. Same basic configuration, just imagine some different furniture, way more baby gates, and piles of toddler detritus strewn all over the place. Same room, at any rate. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/388

Senior NEET Engineer

The main issue I see with this layout is that your listening position is too close to the rear wall. This harms stereo performance and prevents proper placement of 5.1 surrounds at 110 degrees. Are you able to rotate the setup 90 degrees counterclockwise? If you can do that, then I think 5.1.4 will be great. Why do you prefer a pre/pro vs. just using a receiver?

OP
M

Mezmo

Yup, the room is an issue. Can I give The Wife your number for when she comes home to discover that I have rotated the living room 90 degrees counter-clockwise? Seriously, though, it is what it is. It's the room I have, and there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. I consider myself lucky to have successfully taken over as much of it as I have with my filthy hobby.

As for AVP v AVR, my initial bias was simply bang for the buck. The processing bits are the fickle bits that are subject to change and next-great-thing-ism, and it just seemed like a good idea to offload the amplification and let the fickle bits be fickle. Even with the 20-year-old Marantz AVR, I'm running the mains off of dedicated monoblocks and, when last I used it, the center off of a old Bryston 4b-st bridged to a 400w(?) monoblock. So, paid for five channels of amplification on the thing and, at most, used two for rear whistles and bells. I'd much rather skip a half-assed amplification section entirely (that I would rather not use anyway) and apply all of the engineering / cost of a unit to shit that's actually of use in my system.

That said, it seems as if the most sensible way of getting Atmos/X functionality is to (just spittballing here) buy $2.5k worth of processor plus $1k worth of amplification all uncomfortably crammed together into the same box and called an $3.5k AVR, despite the fact that the only thing I want is the $2-2.5k processor in the first place (which, as a standalone thing, seems not to exist). So, to get the thing I do want I am forced to buy a lot of other things that I very much do not want (including anything "smart" or that otherwise reports back to the voracious monsters of surveillance capitalism through the internet) and, in the process, severely dilute the quality of those relatively few things that I do want. If that's true -- and, please, correct any of my misplaced assumptions wherever appropriate, that is EXACTLY what I am hoping for -- then I think my choice is clear. Sit this one out.

Maybe I can figure out how to kluge the Marantz into feeding the center channel again so that The Wife can understand the dialog in movies better (everyone wins) and check back into SOTA in another decade or so. Maybe by then the industry will have figured out a thing or two and gotten its shit together. ;-) (That or just grab an Outlaw 976 or the like and, say, a three-pack of their 2200 monoblocks and call it a decade).

Cheers and thanks again.

LightninBoy

Having not gone the Atmos route myself, I'm not qualified to say you are making the right or wrong choice. But I can say that I made similar choices for the same reasons.

WesParker

Am I missing something tech/format wise? Seems like there are a multitude of Atmos receivers/processors that can do 5.2.4. No need to spend $3500. If you found an AVR with precuts, you could use it for whistling channels, and something more beefy for front channels. How about a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701. Can’t vouch for sound quality, but has the features.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got to wondering whether the easiest way to figure out whether extra height speakers are worth the bother is just to hook up whatever's available for use as height speakers on a trial basis. My neighborhood thrift store usually has some small plastic speakers for sale: Last weekend it was yellowed set of Boston Acoustics outdoor speakers. At other times I've seen Klipsch, B&W, even a nice set of Dynaco A25s.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Nice space. I'd try listening without the coffee table. There's definitely some mid-range cancellation there.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Having not gone the Atmos route myself, I'm not qualified to say you are making the right or wrong choice. But I can say that I made similar choices for the same reasons.

Same for me...
I want a fully competent 16 channel atmos capable processor...all digital preferably, but I'll take analog... Whether others believe the current crop of options meets their standard of 'good enough,' doesn't matter in the slightest to me.

I get so tired of the endless streams of excuses as to why we should continue to lower our expectations.

I would rather continue to push the manufacturers to stop counting on being able to skate by without close technical scrutiny, counting on a stream of people who say 'it sounds good to me' as the only proof of competence they need.

Those days are over. They need to count on this kind of competence check, or they should be prepared to get publicly pantsed, and have to come up with a bunch of lame excuses as to why the claims aren't...ummm...measuring up...

onion

I'd definitely get subwoofer(s) over height channels. You miss the LFE channel if you don't have subs. Using an AVR that does room correction will control the bass.

OP
M

Mezmo

Thanks all. Definitely appreciate the input.

Am I missing something tech/format wise? Seems like there are a multitude of Atmos receivers/processors that can do 5.2.4. No need to spend $3500. If you found an AVR with precuts, you could use it for whistling channels, and something more beefy for front channels. How about a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701. Can’t vouch for sound quality, but has the features.

Wes, I would just go ahead and assume that I am the one missing something, not you. Yes, looks like (for example) I could very easily just move to a current-gen version of the very Marantz I have and that would get the job done. (Have a SR7000. The SR 7013 or 14 would give me Atmos/X as well as 9 amplified channels that could apparently be configured as 5.0.4 for $1k, last year's, or $1.5k for the most current). In some regards, that does make sense. For stereo listening, which is what I really care about, that would be done by my current setup -- so doesn't matter a whit whether the Marantz can "play music." It's just there for the whistles and bells of: (1) processing, and (2) driving a handful of effects channels that wouldn't be populated by speakers that demand more than it could provide. So, core stereo untouched and the Marantz does the add-on of techno whiz-bangery in a dimension where -- at least I, personally -- care a lot less about fidelity. That could be a perfectly reasonable solution.

I got to wondering whether the easiest way to figure out whether extra height speakers are worth the bother is just to hook up whatever's available for use as height speakers on a trial basis. My neighborhood thrift store usually has some small plastic speakers for sale: Last weekend it was yellowed set of Boston Acoustics outdoor speakers. At other times I've seen Klipsch, B&W, even a nice set of Dynaco A25s.

100% agree. I've got several satellite modules lying around and I would likely start there before investing in anything new. But, would need the processing to get it done first. Baby steps....

Nice space. I'd try listening without the coffee table. There's definitely some mid-range cancellation there.

Cheers. Definitely agreed that creating a gratuitous first-order reflection point by floating a slab of glass in the middle of the room almost exactly between me and the speakers was never a sound sonic decision. Good news is I lost the coffee table years ago. Bad news is I learned the hard way that spawning and glass coffee tables mix very poorly.

I'd definitely get subwoofer(s) over height channels. You miss the LFE channel if you don't have subs. Using an AVR that does room correction will control the bass.

I'd love some subwoofers. Unfortunately, I have neither the space nor the neighbors to tolerate them. That said, my mains are basically a hybrid stack of a dedicated monitor integrated with a fairly beefy, ported bass module. They are both efficient and currently driven by 250w monoblocks. Frankly, they provide more bass energy than my space needs -- and it is at least my understanding that, as long as you run them as "full" speakers, tell your processor that you're not running a sub, and otherwise set your crossovers right that all of the LFE info is routed to them anyway. So, and correct me if I'm wrong, shouldn't be "missing" any information. Right?

Finally, yes. It is a balancing act regarding when you jump into the flow of evolving technology. Is it mature and un-kinked enough to be user-friendly? Is it bound to change so fast that now is not the time? Does the industry seem to be equally whip-lashed by change such that it is just tossing out stop-gap measures in order to have an offering in the game and try not to lose relevance while things shake out? All seem to be big factors (the third one a lot more than usual at the moment). These are all questions I wrestle with. Still not sure where I'll end up, but pleased to hear that I am not the only one. After all, that's why we're here.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom