• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home theater speaker selections?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I did... My criteria was that they should sound dynamic, enjoyable and non-harsh. And they did. But don't expect the performance you get from the LSR or M2s. But for my budget and for surrounds, I think they are good.
Great to hear. My rule is never install a speaker that sounds bad :) I always like to listen to even surround or atmos speakers to make sure they sound good. I will usually listen to them in mono (downmixed stereo), stereo and with a sub. I may want more sensitive speakers for atmos like these but was wondering how they sounded.

Jonas_h

But you need to listen before you buy... Don't trust people like me as I can have completely different acceptance level than you have

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have JBL 8320 in ceiling. They have built-in angle already and I could angle them a little more to make sure all seats were covered.

Regarding JBL 708i and 705i, I have considered the 708i. It is very deep though, and will require that I design the room around that. I dont want visible speakers in my theater :) I had the 705i as surrounds in my previous room and I felt they were too constrained - had to cross them at 120hz. They sounded good at moderate levels though.
I am surprise you had to cross them at 120hz. They have are -6dB at 41hz anechoic as shown in Amir's review. I wouldn't expect them to have any issue with an 80hz crossover at all. Harman also shows via their specs max spl from 80hz-20khz to be 107dB (peak). What were you using for the EQ on the 705i's? One of Harman's amps with the built in EQ, or a BSS processor?

Jonas_h

I am surprise you had to cross them at 120hz. They have are -6dB at 41hz anechoic as shown in Amir's review. I wouldn't expect them to have any issue with an 80hz crossover at all. Harman also shows via their specs max spl from 80hz-20khz to be 107dB (peak). What were you using for the EQ on the 705i's? One of Harman's amps with the built in EQ, or a BSS processor?
I'm using a BSS processor.

And yes, I know the specs so I was also surprised. It's not that they sounded bad when crossed over at 80hz, but I felt they were too close to their limit in movies where the surrounds were used heavily. This is all based on listening - did not measure distortion or compression.

Top Bottom