• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Home theater speaker selections?

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Here are the sweeps from the 5628. These sweeps had no room EQ engaged but all of the JBL amp tunings were loaded. I wanted to run sweeps with no tunings loaded to see the raw response of the drivers and cabinet, but ran out of time to get the amp setup.

I have no idea if this was the right approach, but measurements were taken as follows:
  • 'Driver and port' was 7 sweeps two inches from the middle of the cone plus two sweep two inches from the middle of the port to approximate the area of each radiator
  • 'Driver' is the sweep at two inches from the cone only
  • 'Port' is the sweep centered at the port only
Output is really dropping by 23hz, but from 25hz and above the output from the pair of 5628s is basically limitless for my use.

JBL's stats would suggest the 5628 has slightly greater in-room extension than the Sub18, but reality would seem to be very much the opposite.

Attachments

• 5628 Driver and port with amp tuning.png
    5628 Driver and port with amp tuning.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 5628 Driver with amp tuning.png
    5628 Driver with amp tuning.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 5628 Port with amp tuning.png
    5628 Port with amp tuning.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Blackdevil77

I have these subs also (5628s) powered by a Crown I-tech 12000HD. I didn't use the presets, I just put in my own high pass filter. The presets have a low pass filter in place to be used as a crossover, which I let the processor handle.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
I have these subs also (5628s) powered by a Crown I-tech 12000HD. I didn't use the presets, I just put in my own high pass filter. The presets have a low pass filter in place to be used as a crossover, which I let the processor handle.

@Blackdevil77 do you have any driver, port, or in room measurements?

What high pass filter are you using?

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Looks like it's down 6-7 db at 20HZ. That's notably better than what I'm getting in my unfinished temporary space... So maybe there's hope!

Top Bottom