• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home Theater Sound - All Is Lost

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't heard it myself, but a friend of mine recently replaced his HT system with a nakamichi shockwafe. This guy's owned a lot of gear, much of it fairly high end. He's calling the nakamichi sound bar system a return to form for the nakamichi brand. I thought it interesting the system comes with dual subs.

xr100

I haven't heard it myself, but a friend of mine recently replaced his HT system with a nakamichi shockwafe. This guy's owned a lot of gear, much of it fairly high end. He's calling the nakamichi sound bar system a return to form for the nakamichi brand. I thought it interesting the system comes with dual subs.

Whether or not the product is as good as your friend says, the "name" seems to be the only part left of Nakamichi?

Senior NEET Engineer

Haint

Hi

Agreeing with you on both posts. Setting an HT system properly is not easy. It takes time and knowledge. I would go as far as saying that some soundbar-based system are likely to perform better in most common living rooms than a 9.4.2 or whatever number of surround channels, that are improperly set-up... something that is more common than it should. As a matter of fact , it is easier to misconfigure those systems than it should, in spite of all the automatic set-up features of modern AVRs.. plus connectivity is always an issue.. . Yet manufacturers continue to make their AVR ystem more complex and (a related but different subject) more difficult to operate.
With something like the Vizio soundbars, connected to your Vizio TV following the directions, you have a modicum of surround in your home... It is operable by any member of the family .. A fun, functioning appliance... Compare this to any AVR-based system with any TV... In these days and ages that shouldn't be the case. For anyone interested, please try to listen to the SONOS Soundbar-based"5.1" + the SONOS SUB, take about 2 hours to set up and sound wonderful and convincing. No it cannot surpass a properly set-up similar or better than a 5.1 like mine based on an AVR, 3 JBL LSR 308 an 2 LSR 305 and 3 15 inches PE subs + miniDSP to control the subs ... a system that took me a year to setup (not finished, yet) .. but for most usual mortals and even enthusiasts, I would recommend the SONOS, it gets them there... more than halfway without spending most of their free time setting up components ... And adding more SONOS in the house is relatively easy ... and decent sounding.

About the Prius thing ... Once you get there .. unless you are a fanatics such as us on this board .. You stay there.

My Aunt/Uncle have Vizio's most mainstream 5.1 soundbar in a large open floor plan kitchen/dining/livingroom combo with a concrete slab floor. It maybe sounds 10-20% better than TV speakers, and that's being generous. I'm sure they do ok for most people in normal rooms though.

Not at all surprising. Dual wireless subs are definitely going to be the biggest wow factor for most people in most rooms, that's a very smart inclusion.

Last edited:

Emlin

What do people think of the potential of the new Devialet soundbar?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do people think of the potential of the new Devialet soundbar?
A directional sound source like a soundbar can never satisfactorily provide immersion despite DSP. I look at the Devialet as similar to the Sennheiser Ambeo - high quality sound that's way better than most soundbars but for $2500 I'd get any number of premium sound systems from Sonos, Klipsch or Samsung that come with dedicated satellites and subwoofer. Movie audio is all about immersion and the Devialet will not compare to discrete surround speakers.

However, if your response is "I just want the best single box solution possible and be done with it, no separate sub or satellites" then yes, this looks like it will fill that niche quite nicely!

DonR

Major Contributor
I never felt the need for a center channel. The phantom center you get out of stereo speakers is quite nice. Never saw the point of them existing. Maybe if your room is like 25 feet wide or something I guess?
Dialogue. If you want more dialogue and less of the main ambient you can dial up the center channel which is usually where the dialogue is mixed to and dial back the front L/R mains.

Top Bottom