• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home theater room correction reading list: Dirac; RoomPerfect; Trinnov Optimizer; ARC Genesis; Audyssey

DLxP

I know home theater room correction systems are discussed on multiple other threads, but I haven't seen a thread that collates useful resources about them. I think that would be extremely useful.

The types of resources I'm contemplating:
  • AES papers about these specific systems (ideally free to access, but paid if not)
  • Other journal articles and white papers
  • Manufacturers'/developers' technical explanations
  • Articles providing technical discussion of these systems
  • Objective evaluations of these systems
I've suggested below a rough structure for how these could be collated, and added some limited content to kick this off.

For this to work, it will require a collaborative effort! So, if you post a resource like this I'll edit this post to include it. That way this post will provide a running repository of useful resources.

I should say, I know I'm a relatively new user, so recognise I may not have the kudos to inspire such collaboration, but ... it's worth a shot!

RESOURCES

ARC Genesis

[insert]

Audyssey

[insert]

Dirac

REW

RoomPerfect

Trinnov Optimizer

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Acourate and Audiolense might represent two more choices.

Sprint

Forum Donor
GLM could be another choice as well. I use GLM with my Genelec SAM monitors.

OP
D

DLxP

Acourate and Audiolense might represent two more choices.
GLM could be another choice as well. I use GLM with my Genelec SAM monitors.
Good points - thanks!

I was hoping to keep the focus on home theater room correction, in the sense that the ones I listed feature in AVRs/AVPs. However, if anyone contributes reading for those I'm very happy to include it in this list. The main objective is to create a useful resource.

OP
D

DLxP

I know home theater room correction systems are discussed on multiple other threads, but I haven't seen a thread that collates useful resources about them. I think that would be extremely useful.

The types of resources I'm contemplating:
  • AES papers about these specific systems (ideally free to access, but paid if not)
  • Other journal articles and white papers
  • Manufacturers'/developers' technical explanations
  • Articles providing technical discussion of these systems
  • Objective evaluations of these systems
I've suggested below a rough structure for how these could be collated, and added some limited content to kick this off.

For this to work, it will require a collaborative effort! So, if you post a resource like this I'll edit this post to include it. That way this post will provide a running repository of useful resources.

I should say, I know I'm a relatively new user, so recognise I may not have the kudos to inspire such collaboration, but ... it's worth a shot!

RESOURCES

Dirac
RoomPerfect
Trinnov Optimizer

[insert]

ARC Genesis

[insert]

Audyssey

[insert]

Fallen at the first hurdle with this - I can't see how to edit my original post...

I was going to add this for Trinnov:

https://www.trinnov.com/PDF/AES6375_Reproducing_Multichannel_Sound_on_any_Speaker_Layout.pdf

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
Hmm. A good idea and effort, weird editing seems disabled,since that is a standard forum functionality since the 90s..

Newman

Major Contributor
Hmm. A good idea and effort, weird editing seems disabled,since that is a standard forum functionality since the 90s..
ASR Forum seems to have this “feature” where you can only edit your posts for a day or 3 (not sure exactly how long).

IMHO it would be much better if it was disabled for threadstarter posts.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR Forum seems to have this “feature” where you can only edit your posts for a day or 3 (not sure exactly how long).

IMHO it would be much better if it was disabled for threadstarter posts.

Donating(or being a technical expert :p) removes the limitation.

radix

Major Contributor
I know I want to use REW after Audyssey or Dirac, and I have found this paper Getting Started with REW: A Step-by-Step Guide to be very helpful. It's a newbie level, but that's likely the major of people (well, not on this forum). And REW can be used standalone with simpler EQs.

Flak

Industry Insider
Looks like the OP cannot edit his post adding links... so here is a glimpse into the future:

Newman

Major Contributor
Looks like the OP cannot edit his post
He could if he donated a few coins to ASR.

But he hasn’t even visited ASR for over 3 months, so don’t hold your breath.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the OP cannot edit his post adding links... so here is a glimpse into the future:
Very interesting stuff. I suppose it's too early to ask whether it will be included in (premium?) software updates of existing high-end processors that support DLBC, or require entirely new hardware?

Newman

Major Contributor
DLBC?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dirac Live Bass Control. So stuff like the Monoprice HTP-1 and JBL SDP-55. Existing MiniDSPs and similar older hardware designs are never getting these newer features afaik.

OP
D

DLxP

He could if he donated a few coins to ASR.

But he hasn’t even visited ASR for over 3 months, so don’t hold your breath.

Sorry, that's a reflection of my lurker tendencies - i.e. I haven't logged in to ASR for over 3 months - I am in fact a very regular reader ;)

I'll donate - been meaning to anyway to support the cause. Hopefully that will enable the edit functionality.

Top Bottom