• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home theater/music listening (Revel m16 vs Elac DBR62 vs Revel F35)

d2k5000

I am kind of new to the speaker and home theater game, so I could use some help.

Most of my listening experience has been on headphones due to my living situation. However, I may be moving into a larger home where I would not have to worry about the neighbors soon, so I am starting to consider assembling a real home theater system. The room would likely be smallish to mid sized. My budget would be about $3,500 to $4,500. I think that I may have most of the components picked out, but I am struggling to pick the front speakers. This would mostly be for home theater, but I would also like it to be a good 2.0 music experience. I am not looking to spend a ton on the surround speakers, but it seems to make sense to put a larger portion of the budget towards the front speakers.

Here are some options that I am considering:

Elac DBR62 ($699.98 per pair): The cheapest option, but received a very good review for the money.

Revel M16 ($990 per pair): I step up in price. Are they a step up in quality from the Elac? These are the only ones that I can demo locally. I may try to get a listen sometime this week.

Revel Concerta2 F35 ($1760 per pair): A significant jump up in price. I have always kind of assumed that tower speakers would be better for home theater, but Amir's reviews have made me question this.

I also included the other components I was considering just in case it helps the decision.

Thanks everyone!

Elac SUB1010 subwoofers x2
$232.86​
Emotiva B1+ surround speakers x4
$598​
TBD front speakers x2
?​
Elac c52 center speaker
$214.98​
Denon avr-x3700H
$1599​

Here are some basic considerations I've learned over time. You're a hunter, an audio value hunter. The highest value = Used Audio market. Build a Frankenstein system from Craigslist or FB Marketplace (USAudiomart.com or Audiogon.com) by purchasing heavily discounted floorstanders and bookshelves that are no more than 10 years old. It is very common to find used speakers discounted up to 50% to 70% off. If you're not familiar with what's out there, try to hook up with an audiophile who knows. Whatever you see new, you can find someone somewhere selling theirs for a big discount. Used subs can often be driven hard (and thus fail not long after purchase) so it's best to find a newer used one or just buy it new with a warranty. It's best if the owners are audiophiles. Receiver? Buy a refurbished one. Why? It's fixed and can be had at a big discount with a warranty. Choose Denon. Depending on the distance between your 2 front speakers, you may not need a center channel speaker -- at first. This brings up another concept. Do you get it all at once or do you build a 2 channel with sub and then branch out. I would suggest just that - top-flight 2 channel with sub and branch out over time to fill in your system. Timber matching? Don't worry about it. I've had numerous friends over and never has anyone called out different timbres of speakers. Why? The fronts are what fills your ears. Everything else you will not differentiate to anywhere near the same degree.

But, hey, this is all your call. You can disregard everything I've suggested and go new -- It's what you value most that matters to you.

But, if you want to go new, here's some food for thought:

How about the Revel Concerta2 F36 for $1540? https://www.audiolab.com/revel-concerta2-f36-floorstanding-loudspeaker-in-gloss-black-pair/

Denon AVR-X4500H at $1399 before shipping, etc.: https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...9.2-ch-x-125-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Subwoofer: Definitive Technology DN 10: $799

The truth is you can get an even higher level system if you choose to go to the used market. Or, take everything you listed and just see if it pops up used and at what price. You'll be surprised. But the real secret, the one no one talks about, are estate sales and need to sell it fast because I'm moving sales. For example, search for home theater on Craigslist. To end on a bang, I say this, if you have any hard-core audiophile friends, get with them to surf the used market. And lastly, whatever you want, if you search long enough, you will find it on the used market for a big discount - even with shipping.

Cheers.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The subwoofers (Elac sub1010) you've chosen don't belong in your $4500 build....perhaps if you had a $1000 budget.

At the minimum, I would recommend either:
Monoprice Monolith M-10 V2 ($650 *2 = $1300)
or
SVS SB-1000 Pro ($600 *2 = $1200)
Depending on whether you want ported or sealed design. Or larger or smaller enclosure.

Denon X3700H is an excellent choice, as that's what I would choose.

Also, take a look at my 'passive speaker recommendations' for more options you haven't considered.

Last edited:
OP
D

d2k5000

Thanks for the replys guys. I would certainly consider buying used or refurbished for the right deal. I regularly scour craigslist and Facebook marketplace for deals, but right now I am just trying to get a general idea of what to look for.

Perhaps I am underestimating the importance of quality subs for a home theater system. I will have to give it some thought.

I know that I can listen to the KEF r3 at my local best buy. Listening to the KEF and the Revel M16 may give me a better idea of what my personal preference is.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Thanks for the replys guys. I would certainly consider buying used or refurbished for the right deal. I regularly scour craigslist and Facebook marketplace for deals, but right now I am just trying to get a general idea of what to look for.

Perhaps I am underestimating the importance of quality subs for a home theater system. I will have to give it some thought.

I know that I can listen to the KEF r3 at my local best buy. Listening to the KEF and the Revel M16 may give me a better idea of what my personal preference is.
Definitely listen to the KEF R3 and Revel M16. Both are excellent speakers with different dispersion patterns. You may prefer wider or narrower dispersion according to your tastes / room situation.

If you prefer the R3, KEF is having their spring sale right now. A pair of R3s can be had for ~$1700 in the US.

I generally recommend people get floorstanders as much as possible. Unless bookshelves are actually sitting on furniture, the footprint is the same, and floorstanders generally offer greater sensitivity, dynamic range, and bass extension.

The M16 will tell you quite a lot about the F36, although the F36 is objectively and subjectively a better performer. I have heard the F36, and it is an impressive speaker--especially for the money.

The Elacs are "fine" to my ears, but not great.

Top Bottom