• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home Theater In wall/ceiling speaker recommendations/help for 5.1.4 setup + 9 channel receiver?

clipghost

Home Theater In wall/ceiling speaker recommendations/help for 5.1.4 setup + 9 channel receiver?

Heck, any other brands would recommend before I pull the trigger on these? What are some good brands for in walls for around the same budget?

What I had decided to get...

Front and rear surround = 4 Speakers - THX-365IW or 465IW THX Ultra Certified 3-Way In-Wall Speaker - Monolith by Monoprice THX-365IW THX Certified Ultra 3-Way In-Wall Speaker - Monoprice.com

Center = ? I am struggling with the center as what in wall center speaker can I use horizontally with the Monolith 365IW/465IW?

I want to do a combination of those speakers but finding a horizonal center in wall for under the TV is tough. I know the THX-LCR exists but the shape just won't match and would be a bit hard to fit between media cabinet and TV height.

I know people recommend the exterior THX-365C but I am trying to remain in-wall if possible. Would it be bad to let's say use the THX-265IW as a center? It is a 2-way vs 3-way like everything else.

Atmos Ceiling = 4 Speakers = Monoprice Alpha In-Ceiling Speakers 8in Carbon Fiber 2-Way with 15 degree Angled Drivers (pair) - Monoprice Alpha In-Ceiling Speakers 8in Carbon Fiber 2-Way with 15 degree Angled Drivers (pair) - Monoprice.com

Receiver = Denon X3700H or Onkyo RZ50.

Sub = Monolith by Monoprice M-12 V2 12in THX Certified Ultra 500-Watt Powered Subwoofer - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...a58c511ed827e2b290a1c0e14&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

Aside from that, another factor is I am also trying to have 4 more speakers somehow with two other separate zones for outdoor speakers/specific rooms. What do I need to make this all work? Thank you!

Dal1as

Heck, any other brands would recommend before I pull the trigger on these? What are some good brands for in walls for around the same budget?

What I had decided to get...

Front and rear surround = 4 Speakers - THX-365IW or 465IW THX Ultra Certified 3-Way In-Wall Speaker - Monolith by Monoprice THX-365IW THX Certified Ultra 3-Way In-Wall Speaker - Monoprice.com

Center = ? I am struggling with the center as what in wall center speaker can I use horizontally with the Monolith 365IW/465IW?

I want to do a combination of those speakers but finding a horizonal center in wall for under the TV is tough. I know the THX-LCR exists but the shape just won't match and would be a bit hard to fit between media cabinet and TV height.

I know people recommend the exterior THX-365C but I am trying to remain in-wall if possible. Would it be bad to let's say use the THX-265IW as a center? It is a 2-way vs 3-way like everything else.

Atmos Ceiling = 4 Speakers = Monoprice Alpha In-Ceiling Speakers 8in Carbon Fiber 2-Way with 15 degree Angled Drivers (pair) - Monoprice Alpha In-Ceiling Speakers 8in Carbon Fiber 2-Way with 15 degree Angled Drivers (pair) - Monoprice.com

Receiver = Denon X3700H or Onkyo RZ50.

Sub = Monolith by Monoprice M-12 V2 12in THX Certified Ultra 500-Watt Powered Subwoofer - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...a58c511ed827e2b290a1c0e14&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww

Aside from that, another factor is I am also trying to have 4 more speakers somehow with two other separate zones for outdoor speakers/specific rooms. What do I need to make this all work? Thank you!
Any reason you couldn't use the 365c on top of the media cabinet? It is not that deep or large and would be your best bet.

Is the front wall a load bearing wall? How much depth in the wall do you have? What is behind that wall?

I ask for a couple reasons.

Sound from the in walls will be transmitted to the adjacent room for one thing.

If you have the depth or ability you may be able to flush fit the 365c in the wall. I've seen that done.

Otherwise the 265 or 365LCR would be your best bet.

Is the room already built? What are you working with?

Size of room and pics would help. Maybe a diagram of the room.

OP
C

clipghost

Any reason you couldn't use the 365c on top of the media cabinet? It is not that deep or large and would be your best bet.

Is the front wall a load bearing wall? How much depth in the wall do you have? What is behind that wall?

I ask for a couple reasons.

Sound from the in walls will be transmitted to the adjacent room for one thing.

If you have the depth or ability you may be able to flush fit the 365c in the wall. I've seen that done.

Otherwise the 265 or 365LCR would be your best bet.

Is the room already built? What are you working with?

Size of room and pics would help. Maybe a diagram of the room.
For the 365c, it is definitely possible. But the wife factor is basically saying all in-wall would be best. I am trying to find a solution. As far as the room setup, we are good to go. Framed out spots for the speakers, double drywall, safe N sound insulation. Have speaker spots ready. They are essentially ready for In-Walls, specifically the 365IW or 465IW...the problem has always been the center. I thought I could just flip one of those horizontally but clearly I cannot from what I have seen here.

The 365C flush in the wall isn't a bad idea but I know I won't have 9" to do that.

Is it ok to use the 265 as it is a 2-way? Then everything else is a 3-way?

Any other brand you would recommend for the price/quality?

Dal1as

For the 365c, it is definitely possible. But the wife factor is basically saying all in-wall would be best. I am trying to find a solution. As far as the room setup, we are good to go. Framed out spots for the speakers, double drywall, safe N sound insulation. Have speaker spots ready. They are essentially ready for In-Walls, specifically the 365IW or 465IW...the problem has always been the center. I thought I could just flip one of those horizontally but clearly I cannot from what I have seen here.

The 365C flush in the wall isn't a bad idea but I know I won't have 9" to do that.

Is it ok to use the 265 as it is a 2-way? Then everything else is a 3-way?

Any other brand you would recommend for the price/quality?

At this price point there isn't much that can touch the Monolith THX line.

Anything other than a matching LCR installed vertically is a compromise but we all have to make those at times. The minute you turn a speaker horizontally you change the sound and matching a speaker becomes a crapshoot so I wouldn't fret too much about that. The 265 after looking at it looks like it would be your best bet.

You mentioned a media cabinet. How deep will it be and is the center going to be mounted directly above it? If so you are going to have some bad reflection issues from the top of the cabinet. Something else to think about.

OP
C

clipghost

At this price point there isn't much that can touch the Monolith THX line.

Anything other than a matching LCR installed vertically is a compromise but we all have to make those at times. The minute you turn a speaker horizontally you change the sound and matching a speaker becomes a crapshoot so I wouldn't fret too much about that. The 265 after looking at it looks like it would be your best bet.

You mentioned a media cabinet. How deep will it be and is the center going to be mounted directly above it? If so you are going to have some bad reflection issues from the top of the cabinet. Something else to think about.
Huh I never thought about that. So basically from bottom up would be Media cabinet, 4" gap to the bottom of center and then 4-6"gap from top of center to the TV let's say. I am trying to make it all fit while keeping the TV height relatively eye level.

So you are saying, bad idea since I will 100% have a media cabinet below the in wall speaker?

If that is the case, only option really is the 365C...

Dal1as

Huh I never thought about that. So basically from bottom up would be Media cabinet, 4" gap to the bottom of center and then 4-6"gap from top of center to the TV let's say. I am trying to make it all fit while keeping the TV height relatively eye level.

So you are saying, bad idea since I will 100% have a media cabinet below the in wall speaker?

If that is the case, only option really is the 365C...

If you could get that past the wife that would be your best bet. Or no media cabinet up front.

Otherwise you are going to have reflection issues off the top of the cabinet.

How bad I couldn't tell you. How deep is the cabinet?

OP
C

clipghost

If you could get that past the wife that would be your best bet. Or no media cabinet up front.

Otherwise you are going to have reflection issues off the top of the cabinet.

How bad I couldn't tell you. How deep is the cabinet?
Ya seems it is. Few more questions.

Would you go for the 365IW or the new 465IW? Is there a scenario where I do the 465IW for the front L/R, 365C as center, and the surrounds 365IW? Or am I mixing too much and just do 365IW all around with the 365C as center?

TrexWasabi

I'm copying and pasting my response to your question posted in the other thread, just to keep the discussion in one place (my "new" response is at the bottom"):

My relative's remodel was delayed a bit. I'll be installing the following for her in a 5.1.4 system in December as she's hoping for deals over BF:
- Receiver: Denon x3800H
- Left, right: THX-365IW
- Center: THX-LCR
- Sub: SVS PC-2000 Pro (I'm trying to convince her to buy two). Sadly, the form factor of the 13" sub at Monoprice is not an option for her.
- Atmos: Alpha with 15 degree Angled Drivers
- (Rear) Surround: Alpha Vari-Angled

The surrounds are likely the weakness of system, but there is no physical wall where the living room ends and the dining room begins. She insists on ceiling speakers as the only option for her.

BTW, Monoprice is working on THX in-ceiling speakers that are due out in Q1 of '23, as per an email inquiry to Hobie Sechrest. He didn't divulge any specs. Not sure if my relative has the patience to wait for them.

Edit: this is for 20'x30' room. Large TV on one of the 20' walls - TV size will likely be 84".

@clipghost , Your response was:

Thank you for sharing all that.

So I have a semi-similar setup as in 5.1.4 and wanting to go Monoprice. I have another thread talking about it all here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...elp-for-5-1-4-setup-9-channel-receiver.38679/

Feel free to chime in there.

I guess my questions to you is, that THX-LCR as center has been told to me not to go with due to reflections for media center right in front. Any reason you are choosing it?

I am using the same receiver. Trying to decide is I should do front L/R 365IW or 465IW? Center it seems 365C may be best bet unless the THX-LCR can miraculously work for me as well.

The rear surrounds would be 365IW's...for the atmos in cieling speakr, thank you for letting me know Monoprice is working on it. Any idea on the sizing of it? 6"? 8"?

Would love to get whatever sizing is similar to be prepared for it.

To answer your questions:
  • The THX-LCR has very favorable reviews in general - not sure what you mean by "reflections for media center right in front". I selected it as it is timbre matched with the 365 and 465 series. Downside is that it will look odd under the screen to some.
  • The 365 is a better fit for the "minimalist" look that my relative prefers.
  • The 465 does not have many reviews as it just became available recently.
  • Hobie did not give me any further information on sizing of the new THX in-ceiling speakers. Only thing he commented on was the time frame I mentioned. Obviously release dates could slip (my words, not his). I hope that the tweeters and angle are adjustable. The Alpha Vari Angled have good reviews when used as Atmos speakers as well, but cannot be angled L/R once mounted.
You have a very similar setup to the one I am trying to build out. Some questions for you:
  • How big is your room?
  • Have you looked at this bad boy at Monoprice? It's an amazing sub and the 15% off coupon sometimes applies to it. Google the professional reviews to see how good it is. Down side is that it is HUGE.

OP
C

clipghost

I'm copying and pasting my response to your question posted in the other thread, just to keep the discussion in one place (my "new" response is at the bottom"):

My relative's remodel was delayed a bit. I'll be installing the following for her in a 5.1.4 system in December as she's hoping for deals over BF:
- Receiver: Denon x3800H
- Left, right: THX-365IW
- Center: THX-LCR
- Sub: SVS PC-2000 Pro (I'm trying to convince her to buy two). Sadly, the form factor of the 13" sub at Monoprice is not an option for her.
- Atmos: Alpha with 15 degree Angled Drivers
- (Rear) Surround: Alpha Vari-Angled

The surrounds are likely the weakness of system, but there is no physical wall where the living room ends and the dining room begins. She insists on ceiling speakers as the only option for her.

BTW, Monoprice is working on THX in-ceiling speakers that are due out in Q1 of '23, as per an email inquiry to Hobie Sechrest. He didn't divulge any specs. Not sure if my relative has the patience to wait for them.

Edit: this is for 20'x30' room. Large TV on one of the 20' walls - TV size will likely be 84".

@clipghost , Your response was:

To answer your questions:
  • The THX-LCR has very favorable reviews in general - not sure what you mean by "reflections for media center right in front". I selected it as it is timbre matched with the 365 and 465 series. Downside is that it will look odd under the screen to some.
  • The 365 is a better fit for the "minimalist" look that my relative prefers.
  • The 465 does not have many reviews as it just became available recently.
  • Hobie did not give me any further information on sizing of the new THX in-ceiling speakers. Only thing he commented on was the time frame I mentioned. Obviously release dates could slip (my words, not his). I hope that the tweeters and angle are adjustable. The Alpha Vari Angled have good reviews when used as Atmos speakers as well, but cannot be angled L/R once mounted.
You have a very similar setup to the one I am trying to build out. Some questions for you:
  • How big is your room?
  • Have you looked at this bad boy at Monoprice? It's an amazing sub and the 15% off coupon sometimes applies to it. Google the professional reviews to see how good it is. Down side is that it is HUGE.
My room is a living room with a kitchen attached, so it is a bit of a jack of all trades room. The room is deep but the "tv area" of it is about 20' x 18'.

Thanks for breaking this down. The THX-LCR is very favorable. Scroll up and read my convo with another user. Basically since I will have a media console underneath the TV, the gap between the TV and the Media console would be where I would put an in wall speaker. Apparently the sound would reflect off the media cabinet so I have been recommended to put an out of wall speaker such as the 365C on the media cabinet. I thought about the THX-LCR as well, but I am worried about how it will all look with the rest of the setup. Does your relative have a media console underneath her TV?

As far as the minimalistic look, I just want it to look clean but also have good sound quality. So asking in your opinion, would the 465IW be overkill? Yup, I know newer reviews but could that Denon receiver even handle lets say 465IW as front L/R, THX-LCR or 365C as center, 365IW as surrounds, and I would probably do the Alpha's with angled drivers as Atmos as well until maybe that new THX in-ceiling speaker becomes available. Would be great to know what that size was if I get an 8" right now to future-proof it essentially. (can you send him an email or get me in touch?)

I have not even thought about sub yet but I was leaning towards this 12" - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42847

Not enough for this setup? That one your linked is a BEAST but still a bit too expensive for me right now.

TrexWasabi

My room is a living room with a kitchen attached, so it is a bit of a jack of all trades room. The room is deep but the "tv area" of it is about 20' x 18'.

Thanks for breaking this down. The THX-LCR is very favorable. Scroll up and read my convo with another user. Basically since I will have a media console underneath the TV, the gap between the TV and the Media console would be where I would put an in wall speaker. Apparently the sound would reflect off the media cabinet so I have been recommended to put an out of wall speaker such as the 365C on the media cabinet. I thought about the THX-LCR as well, but I am worried about how it will all look with the rest of the setup. Does your relative have a media console underneath her TV?

As far as the minimalistic look, I just want it to look clean but also have good sound quality. So asking in your opinion, would the 465IW be overkill? Yup, I know newer reviews but could that Denon receiver even handle lets say 465IW as front L/R, THX-LCR or 365C as center, 365IW as surrounds, and I would probably do the Alpha's with angled drivers as Atmos as well until maybe that new THX in-ceiling speaker becomes available. Would be great to know what that size was if I get an 8" right now to future-proof it essentially. (can you send him an email or get me in touch?)

I have not even thought about sub yet but I was leaning towards this 12" - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42847

Not enough for this setup? That one your linked is a BEAST but still a bit too expensive for me right now.
The relative's set up will have nothing under the TV (other than the LCR of course). She doesn't mind the LCR as she was looking at in-wall subs. Thankfully I was able to talk her out of those.

Honestly, I don't have an opinion on the 465IW as I have never heard them. I have heard the 365IW and they are excellent. FWIW, the 465 seem to have the same hardware as the 365. The Denon should be able to handle them but regardless, consider buying something like the AC Infinity AIRCOM fans as the 4 Ohm can put a lot of stress on AVRs. Cheap insurance and there are a few models to chose from.

If you google Monoprice and Hobie Sechrest, you should be able to find his email address. Please post if he gives you any additional info.

Consider upgrading your sub as it seems to be the weak point of the system. I don't know much about Monoprices other subs, but check out SVS also. Their 2000-Pro series is a great value and you can add a second one down the line if needed.

OP
C

clipghost

The relative's set up will have nothing under the TV (other than the LCR of course). She doesn't mind the LCR as she was looking at in-wall subs. Thankfully I was able to talk her out of those.

Honestly, I don't have an opinion on the 465IW as I have never heard them. I have heard the 365IW and they are excellent. FWIW, the 465 seem to have the same hardware as the 365. The Denon should be able to handle them but regardless, consider buying something like the AC Infinity AIRCOM fans as the 4 Ohm can put a lot of stress on AVRs. Cheap insurance and there are a few models to chose from.

If you google Monoprice and Hobie Sechrest, you should be able to find his email address. Please post if he gives you any additional info.

Consider upgrading your sub as it seems to be the weak point of the system. I don't know much about Monoprices other subs, but check out SVS also. Their 2000-Pro series is a great value and you can add a second one down the line if needed.
What makes the 465IW different then? Is it worth the price difference specs wise I guess? Good call on the AC Infinity. What subs would you do for a setup like mine?

Dal1as

What makes the 465IW different then? Is it worth the price difference specs wise I guess? Good call on the AC Infinity. What subs would you do for a setup like mine?

The 465 will have a little more output due to the extra 2 woofers. If I were you I'd stick to the 365iw's and 365c and save the money for 2 subs.

OP
C

clipghost

The 465 will have a little more output due to the extra 2 woofers. If I were you I'd stick to the 365iw's and 365c and save the money for 2 subs.
What subs do you recommend for this setup? four 365IW's, one 365C, and 4 height Alphas?

OP
C

clipghost

What about Polk or Klipsch in walls. Not many people recommending those brands recently. Are we just not a fan of the quality?

TrexWasabi

This, excluding the 365c bit as I have no experience with it

Last edited:

TrexWasabi

What subs do you recommend for this setup? four 365IW's, one 365C, and 4 height Alphas?
Rear/surround speakers are not used very often so most people use smaller/cheaper speakers. THX-275IW is a great choice for the surrounds if it's on sale AND you can apply a coupon. Otherwise, the price difference is only $50ish so if you have the space, I would recommend the 365IW for the rear as well. WAF may be an issue here as the 365 are much taller than the 275.

TrexWasabi

Subs - depends on your budget. As I mentioned earlier, the 13" is the ultimate sub in that price range, especially when it's on sale. It is massive though. If you want two, the relative AND my wife liked the form factor of the SVS PC-2000 Pro. Note that it is quite tall. Place the subs at diagonal corners to start. If you want the more traditional cube style, check out SVS PB-2000 Pro.

Check out AVSforum if you haven't already done so. ASR and AVSForum are the two best resources to solicit advice from experienced audiophiles. You'll learn a lot but it can be a (fun) rabbit hole.

Dal1as

What about Polk or Klipsch in walls. Not many people recommending those brands recently. Are we just not a fan of the quality?
Unless it's the Klipsch thx in walls I wouldn't bother. The Monolith THX speaker line competes way above their price. I would consider the RSL cieling speakers for atmos. There are some good threads and info over at AVS forums on that subject. As for subs and your room. 2 of the Monolith 15s or 13s with a mini dsp using REW and a umic would be my suggestion if you want to go down that route. Bass optimization and integration with the mains is huge and often overlooked.

OP
C

clipghost

Unless it's the Klipsch thx in walls I wouldn't bother. The Monolith THX speaker line competes way above their price. I would consider the RSL cieling speakers for atmos. There are some good threads and info over at AVS forums on that subject. As for subs and your room. 2 of the Monolith 15s or 13s with a mini dsp using REW and a umic would be my suggestion if you want to go down that route. Bass optimization and integration with the mains is huge and often overlooked.
Klipsch thx in walls seem out of price range. Which RSL ceiling speakers do you recommend? Oh jeez, 2 of those? I was hoping to get away with one 12"...bad idea?

Dal1as

Klipsch thx in walls seem out of price range. Which RSL ceiling speakers do you recommend? Oh jeez, 2 of those? I was hoping to get away with one 12"...bad idea?
The RSL c34e. Many use them.

As for subs it's all how far you want to go. I currently use 3 Monolith 15s in a 16 x 22 room and it's mind blowing. Going back to 1 12 inch sub would kill me. It's like a disease.

Point is 1 12 inch sub will not pressurize your room and you won't get much if any tactile feel.

Also multiple subs greatly smooths out the bass when done right.

Top Bottom