• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home Theater AVR / Processor review additional measure, please

gags11

Forum Donor
Amir has reviewed quite a few AVRs and processors. We are all truly thankful!

All of the reviews concentrate on 2 channel performance in “pure direct mode.” However, many of these AVR and Processor owners never use these in 2 channel mode. A lot of us use it for surround processing.

My ask is simple, can we include a measurement of SINAD with HDMI input with surround processing on (7.1, 9.1, etc.). We can just have front and may be mid channel output measured. This measurement will give a small benchmark to compare AVRs in home theater use. Again, I and likely many others do not know how a pure direct mode translates to SINAD with full 9-11 channel processing on.

cheers!

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Amir has reviewed quite a few AVRs and processors. We are all truly thankful!

All of the reviews concentrate on 2 channel performance in “pure direct mode.” However, many of these AVR and Processor owners never use these in 2 channel mode. A lot of us use it for surround processing.

My ask is simple, can we include a measurement of SINAD with HDMI input with surround processing on (7.1, 9.1, etc.). We can just have front and may be mid channel output measured. This measurement will give a small benchmark to compare AVRs in home theater use. Again, I and likely many others do not know how a pure direct mode translates to SINAD with full 9-11 channel processing on.

cheers!
This is true. I think all digital processing and all multichannel is turned off in my current amp when pure mode is on. The argument was made in the RZ50 review by several that real world use wouldn't cause the limiting in the back channels of the RZ50 avr and most users wouldn't be using the pure mode. I did buy a Denon based on the reviews here becaue Amirm put so much work into the x4700 one. I felt like at least I knew I was getting an amp that held up to his measuring standards. The Denon product I bought is well made. I just don't like Audyssey no matter what I am told about my inability or equipment, or placement. I have learned an awful lot about Audessy and how to use it to a much better outcome because of the great folks on here, though.

Dal1as

This is something I'd like to see. Testing would be difficult though. Curious what the Sinad would be during multi channel play after room correction per channel.

Amir is probably like no freaking way! Lol

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There is no need to put it into a surround mode... - the additional messing with the signal over DSP will skew the results.

Instead measurements can be made in "stereo" mode - as opposed to "direct" - stereo mode still goes through the DSP, but it only applies RoomEQ and crossovers (if applied) - without otherwise messing with the sound.

On many of Amirs measurments you can see that the DSP is engaged, by the fact that the frequency response drops dramatically right after 20kHz... which is because the DSP downsamples to 48kHz max.

So the "direct" measurements usually extend out to 50kHz+, where the "stereo" measurements fall off a cliff at 24kHz

Top Bottom