• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home Theater and Hifi

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Equipment: Sony STRDH590> RSL CG23 (Right, Left, Center) & Dual BIC Venturi 1020 Subs (via LFE). Surrounds are RSL CG3's.

For Hifi: Raspberry Pi 3b+ Allo Digione running MoOde coax out > Topping D30 analog out> STRDH590 SACD analog input.

I have a nice setup, and am overall really pleased with it's performance and sound.

The one thing that irks me is to use the receiver as strictly an amp without it's processing or DAC in the way is to go to pure direct mode. Well, this ends the output to the subs and sends the full signal to the RSL CG23's which lack low frequency energy below 80 or 90hz. I've worked around this by using Multi-Channel Stereo mode on the receiver with the receiver set to 2.1 speaker mode. This allows for use of the internal crossover, and from what I can glean, does not add any sound processing.

Is this my best bet to get hifi out to the CG23's and dual subs with the above setup? Or should I consider a separate amp that includes a sub out with an A/B switch for routing for use during music listening?

FWIW, I tried running the high input signal into the subs then out to the speakers, however, this was a bad option as the crossover in those subs is not good and I had trouble getting a proper dial in on the level matching.

Thanks in advance,

David

moonlight rainbow dream

[...] without it's processing [...]

Now why would you want that? Having something properly integrate the subwoofers to your system is much more important to your overall sound quality than marginally perceptible differences in noise floor or distortion level. I would just live with it for now, as budget-wise, your system seems pretty balanced. Shelling out a bunch of money for a higher-performing processor or receiver before you upgrade your subs and speakers makes little sense to me.

OP
Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Now why would you want that? Having something properly integrate the subwoofers to your system is much more important to your overall sound quality than marginally perceptible differences in noise floor or distortion level. I would just live with it for now, as budget-wise, your system seems pretty balanced. Shelling out a bunch of money for a higher-performing processor or receiver before you upgrade your subs and speakers makes little sense to me.

Sound advice. I had considered getting a DSP, then I realized, the STRDH590 is doing the same thing.

Top Bottom