• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home streaming suggestions?

jackmw

Forum Donor
Best suggestions for a user on a linux machine, with a house full of devices (Windows, Mac, iOS, Adroid) for a rock-solid wireless streaming solution? To this point I have found DLNA/UPnP to be very unreliable (sometimes servers and/or endpoints show up, sometimes they don't). Roon is rather expensive for what it does, although it does have a good reputation for reliability in streaming. I have quite a few Chomecast audios which work ok but they seem to be unreliable in terms of whether they are seen or not by control points. Is there anything out there that just works? Thank you

gvl

Major Contributor
I use Daphile on low grade PC hardware. Supports Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal. Interface is quirky but usable.

Digital Mastering System

I'm biting the bullet on Roon. One year at first. I have 4 chromecast pucks, several networked computers, and a Denon 3600 hooked up. Works great so far. I tried Plex earlier and thought it sucked. Roon took less than a day to catalog my 4300 NAS stored albums.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Do you have a Mesh WiFi system? Should resolve a lot of issues if not.

LMS on a Pi 4, with Chromecast and UPnP plugins is rock solid for me, with Chromecast, Sonos and Squeezelite endpoints.

rgdawsonco

Ditto, on LMS on Pi4, Squeezebox Duets throughout the house, plus Squeezelite-X on PC's.

Top Bottom