• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home audio: Surprised and confused how much I like the SX3040 V2 audio exciter

Frank2

My home audio chain is mostly digital and looks like:
[PC] -> [USB to SPDIF] -> [digital equalizer] -> [digital crossover + DACs] -> [power amps] -> [subs and mains]

I recently bought the Topping D10B for USB to SPDIF conversion, and that offered a possibility to apply the Behringer SX3040 V2 sonic exciter.
This because I use the Behringer DEQ2496 as digital equalizer, and it has an ADC on board. Since the Topping D10B has a DAC on board, I could create an analog detour via the sonic exciter:
[PC] -> [D10B] -> [DEQ2496] -> [digital crossover + DACs] -> [power amps] -> [subs and mains]
----------|------------|
----------`->[SC3040] -'

Now I could choose whether to use the digital chain without the sonic exciter, or to insert the sonic exciter as a short analog detour. This simply by selecting the right input on the DEQ2496.

Why did I do this..?

Well, I sometimes listen to older pop music recordings and they often disappoint in terms of sound quality. I have a memory of how they sounded in my youth, through my solid state amp with loudness and tone controls engaged. I though using the sonic exciter for these older recordings would beef them up a bit and make them sound more like in the 'early days' . Since the quality of these recordings was not that good to begin with, the additional noise and distortion of the sonic exciter analog detour could be taken for granted.

Why am I surprised and confused?

Simply put: I am surprised that I like the sonic exciter with almost ALL of my music (mostly pop/rock and some jazz). Not just the bad recordings but the good ones as well. When used in moderation, it really adds that little extra punch and sparkle without messing up the recording. When I switch back to my digital chain (which can be done almost instantaneously), the music simply sounds more dull, less alive. I am surprised that a low-cost analog device that adds noise and harmonic distortion can make my music sound so good. The only downside so far is a bit of extra voice sibilance in some recordings that were not filtered well on voice sibilance to begin with.

And that confuses me, because the hard science of audio tells me that the analog bypass will increase noise and distortion (the exciter even deliberately adds harmonic distortion) and hence the digital chain is superior...

Why did I post this? Not because I am affiliated with Behringer in any way. I think it may give a nice insight in psychoacoustics. It may also help some of you to get that beefy sound you remember from the past, when you were using an integrated amplifier with loudness and tone controls engaged. It may even be a low-cost alternative to using tube amplifiers (which also add harmonic distortion).

An impression on how a sonic exciter can change the sound, can be found in this video (though I use it more moderately):

Anton S

Looks like loads of fun to play with!

You're likely going to receive a lot of negative remarks about how using this box reduces the fidelity of the reproduced sound and/or how you're changing what the artist - or more commonly, the record label - intended, but perception is king, so don't be afraid to use it if it scratches your itch.

Fact is, music is typically bent, folded and spindled ad nauseum during every step of the production process. Your contribution to the overall sound during playback is unlikely to be the primary culprit in straying from a straight wire with gain. If you prefer the audio presentation with the SX3040 in the signal chain, and it enhances your enjoyment, don't be dissuaded. It's your system.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I am not philosophically against adding something like a "Sonic Exciter" to my chain. But I can't. This is because the crossover is done in my PC and it outputs 8 channels into a DAC.

So my question is: what exactly does this Sonic Exciter do, and can its functionality be replicated by VST plugins?

Randyman...

You can strive for a truly reference system that you might find boring and sterile with certain tracks. Or you can jazz it up and have some fun. I can lean either way. But if I'm mixing a track (not so often these days) - reference wins.

Done mixing? Then musical enjoyment is not meant to be sterile / clinical IMO. Have some fun is what I say. I've used the Behringer, BBE, Aphex, AudioControl - and they can be fun - especially for thin/flat tracks. But I don't currently have one in my system.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
o my question is: what exactly does this Sonic Exciter do, and can its functionality be replicated by VST plugins?
Exciter - Wikipedia

It mostly adds high frequency harmonics. Whereas an equalizer can boost existing highs, the exciter can add highs that don't exist in the original. Ahpex (the original inventor) later added some bass processing, which I believe is bass compression. Aphex was secretive.

There is a Harmonic Enhancer plug-for Audacity if you want to play around with something. It doesn't work in real-time, you have to apply it to a file and then you can play it.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exciter - Wikipedia

It mostly adds high frequency harmonics. Whereas an equalizer can boost existing highs, the exciter can add highs that don't exist in the original. Ahpex (the original inventor) later added some bass processing, which I believe is bass compression. Aphex was secretive.

There is a Harmonic Enhancer plug-for Audacity if you want to play around with something. It doesn't work in real-time, you have to apply it to a file and then you can play it.
The Aphex Aural Exciter remains in wide use in audio production and in broadcast audio air signal chains decades after its introduction, and other developers have made similar hardware and software products. People like that vacuum tubish distortion. They just do, and we all hear it in use every day. It's a useful and effective production tool and for the listener it's a fun aspect of sound reproduction to experience and play with. Purists need to realize that those who use these processors KNOW it defeats transparency. That's the point, and they don't need to be lectured about how "wrong" it is. (Criticism NOT directed toward you, DVDoug.)

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
After I read your post, I went on a search for an Exciter VST plugin. I found Thrillseeker XTC, available in 32 or 64 bit. It's free (download here). I downloaded it and installed it in JRiver. This is the interface:

thrillseekerxtcmkii.png

Listening impressions: with many VST plugins, it is easy to ruin the sound if you are ham fisted. With this one, if you put everything at maximum settings the sound becomes too "thick" and the treble is a bit grainy but I would not say the sound is ruined. Best to use one of the presets and tune it to your taste. I selected "warm", which turns treble processing off. The warm preset is "tastefully" warm (meaning it is subtle). I dialled up the midrange and got it warmer still but I preferred the preset.

My wife helped me do a blind A-B, and it was easy to pick the Exciter every time. This is one of the rare VST plugins that I did not uninstall soon after installing it. I quite like it, so it's staying.

Davide

From experience, digital plugins provide results comparable to hardware devices, with the only disadvantage of introducing latency. The higher electricity consumption due to CPU load is comparable to hardware solutions I think.

So, the FabFilter Saturn 2 plugin with "The Tube" preset, for someone who is not able to play with the exciters is the top.

Or Softube Harmonics with the function that preserves transients is excellent for not losing dynamics.

Or the classic Soundtoys Decapitator.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently dismantled my DBX GoRack which I use regularly as I decided to add venting to the case. In doing so I discovered why this little unit added so much more smoothing to my PA system via EQ etc….AKM chips everywhere!

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpeg
    IMG_1507.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1502.jpeg
    IMG_1502.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1500.jpeg
    IMG_1500.jpeg