• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home audio setup indecision

Sister_Ray

Hi all,

In two weeks I will be moving to my new home, and I have been saving up to get a brand new audio/video setup. Black Friday rears its head at a most convenient time. However, I am still undecided on what would work best for me. I am very passionate about both music and film so the new setup should be rewarding in both use cases. It should be noted that my taste in movies does not usually involve room shaking subwoofer duty.

I am posting this because a Dutch webshop is offering a great Black Friday deal on KEF LS50 Wireless II + S2 stands + KC62 subwoofer for €3275,- (normal retail price around €4850). A similar deal is available with the passive LS50 metas for €2199,-.

I have already bought a Denon AVC-X4700H (for a very nice price €1299,-) thinking 5.1 would be a no brainer, but I am starting to doubt my reasoning. I bought it a month ago with a 60 day return policy, so I still have a month to return it.

Options I am considering, but am really struggling to judge what would work best:

1a. 2.1 setup: LS50 wireless II + stands + KC62 (returning the Denon) - Total cost: €3275,-
2a. 5.1 setup with passive fronts: AVC-X4700H + 2x LS50 meta + 2 stands + KC62 + 1x LS50 meta (center) + rear speakers (tbd) - Total cost: €3498 + center/rear cost €1025 = 4523,-
3a. 5.1 setup with active fronts: AVC-X4700H + 2x LS50 wireless II + 2 stands + KC62 + 1x LS50 meta (center) + rear speakers (tbd) - using the Denon purely for film, music directly via the LS50 wireless IIs& KC62 - Total cost: €4574 + center/rear cost €1025 = €5599,-
1b./2b./3b.: 2.2/5.2 setups with cheaper dual Kube 8/10/12b (or other brand) subwoofers replacing the single KC62.

The online Black Friday deal is available 21-23 nov and as long as supplies last, so time is not on my side. :)

Room size: 3,84x5,46m (not closed, it extends sideways to the kitchen in the back, but this is the size of the listening area.

I estimate the cost for the center + rears at €425 (a single LS50 meta as center, buy a pair for €850 and sell one) + 2x €300 = €1025. So my dilemmas are: 1) is the extra cost worth the passive/active 5.1 setup vs an active 2.1 setup. 2) is it insane (or a good idea and worth the extra cost) to buy active speakers for music when you have a perfectly good AVR (with so-so DAC).

Being quite inexperienced in hifi, I would love to hear your opinions on what would be my best choice. If you feel I am leaving out important information, let me know.

Last edited:

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You seem a bit uncertain about what you want to achieve. I can sympathise, it is hard to know if a setup will satisfy you before you have it at home.

I think you need to decide if your aim is a no compromise stereo hifi for music (maybe go active and return the AVR) or an AV system that also sounds good with music (probably stick with passive). How much time do you spend watching TV/Movies vs listening to music?

For me, I favour the AV setup, it gets a lot more use than a stereo only one would. It includes a lot of in-built features like sub integration and room equalisation, and music upmixed to more speakers can sound more exciting/enveloping.

Since you already bought the Denon (a great foundation for an AV system) it seems that you are leaning that way too. It would therefore be sensible to make use of the amplification and processing that you already have, and get the passive LS50s for the front speakers. (Something cheaper at the back to get you started will probably be fine).

If you are going with an AV setup I think it is best to have at least 5.1 speakers. That means there will be a lot of cabling to do, can you accommodate a 5.1 setup in a configuration close to that recommended by Dolby?

You shouldn't be overly concerned about the dac quality in the AVR, chances are you will never miss those extra dBs of SINAD! You will likely find that uncorrected room modes would cause +-10dB variations in the low frequency response of a stereo hifi setup, at least with an AVR and sub you have some tools to fix these.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if others here recommend going down the stereo route. This decision comes down to your own preferences in the end.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sister_Ray

My time spent on music/film varies greatly, sometimes it is 80/20, then it's 20/80. And yes, I can accommodate a 5.1 setup without cables lying everywhere. I can come close to the angles recommended by Dolby.

You make a good point about the room correction, this is a big advantage of the passive AVR setup. I am leaning towards a 5.1 setup with passive front speakers.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hopefully you'll get some other replies for a more balanced view, but I see that you are under a bit of time pressure due to the sales.

Please report back and let us know what you go for and how you like it once you get it all set up.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I'll try to keep it short. An AVR such as the Denon 4700 is a formidable control center for any music or movie system. You have at your disposal decent power plus room correction; and this, the Digital Room Correction would make more difference than the few or more dB of SINAD you may get by forgoing an AVR. Audyssey is one of the best DRC available, yes, it is, please see Amir review here. I am willing to advance that a system based on an AVR with good DRC shall provide better performance than a so-called purist system with great SINAD but no DRC. So keep the Denon. Get the LS 50 meta for Left, Front and Center speakers and less expensive speakers, say the Kef Q150 for surround.
I would also suggest to move away from Kef for subwoofers. I am no fan of the KC62, thinking its best attribute is small-size and nothing else in term of subwoofer performance. You are in Europe, I don't know what is available there with respect to prices, In the USA I would have recommended a pair of HSU, SVS, MonoPrice or Rythmik..etc... Please use this superb work by @sweetchaos: Sweetchaos Subwoofer Comparison Tool. It will guide you toward the best subwoofer for your abodes, and for the best price.
One more thing. It is not set and forget, after the first trial. You will need to revisit your system to learn how to properly set it up for best performance. It will take time, think weeks, but with the complement of speakers you are contemplating, the LS50 meta + The Denon and a pair, yes a pair , at least, of serious subwoofers, you have the potential of spectacular performance in your home. Music or movies 2-Channels or Multi-Channel.

Peace

Last edited:

KenMasters

Great advice guys, thank you. I am going to follow it and get 4 metas, sell one, and look for a pair of not too big subwoofers.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I use Metas up front as well, married them with KEF R8a surrounds if that's of help to you. I can also recommend a Norwegian company called Arendal when looking at subwoofers - don't think you'll find better price/performance in Europe. They aren't the smallest though, but still attractive (at least to my eye).

OP
S

Sister_Ray

Sounds like a good plan to me. I use Metas up front as well, married them with KEF R8a surrounds if that's of help to you. I can also recommend a Norwegian company called Arendal when looking at subwoofers - don't think you'll find better price/performance in Europe. They aren't the smallest though, but still attractive (at least to my eye).
Arendal, never heard of them. Indeed they are not very small, 12,2" is their smallest size I think. Will check it out further, thanks for the recommendation.

Trell

Major Contributor
Arendal, never heard of them. Indeed they are not very small, 12,2" is their smallest size I think. Will check it out further, thanks for the recommendation.

Here is the review with measurements of that one that comes in both a sealed and ported variant.

OP
S

Sister_Ray

Pretty much all reviews of the Arendal 1S/1V conclude there is nothing/hardly anything to be faulted at this price point. I also very much like the attention to detail and agree that it is quite attractive to look at. So I actually just pulled the trigger on a single 1S. If I like it, I may get a second one. First I'll wait until my girlfriend sees the size. :D

OP
S

Sister_Ray

And, finally, the rear speakers. I rounded up my 5.1 setup with a Black Friday offer for the Polk ES10 at €151,99/pair, which I will mount to the walls. The KEF Q150 really is too big for my taste and the KEF R8a a bit pricy for surround speakers.

AVR: Denon AVC-X4700H
Front L/R & Center: KEF LS50 meta
Rear L/R: Polk ES10
Subwoofer: Arendal 1S

It will take some time before I will be able to get it all set up in my new home and listen, I will then share my impressions. Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom