• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Home audio in small room advice

luxpiotr

I need something else than my current setup to sound good in my small room. I look at:
- Genelec 8030
- iLoud MTM (My favourite)
- change my current Aria 906 for Spendor A1 / ATC SCM7
mój pokój.jpg

I usually listen music on very low volume. I think this room is too small for Aria 906. Im not 100% happy now. I listen 80% music and 20% movie etc. For now I dont have nerfield experience.
I need something that can paly when I'm sitting at the desk (80% time) and on cauch (20% time)
I want most full and clear sound on low volume listen and good bass response. Love good vocals.

Ps. It is no problem to buy second system and replace current. I can keep the current system for 1 or 2 years and when I carry out I use it in larger place... Or I can sell it now.
Sorry for my English :)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Hi, welcome to ASR. :)

Do you WANT to keep Marantz PM700n (Integrated Stereo Amplifier)?
If so, then get another well-measuring passive speaker.
But first, we need know your budget (approx in USD), to give a recommendation.

You listed 2 studio monitors as well.
Genelec 8030C (review)
- very clean at medium volume, with no need for a subwoofer since it's mostly distortion free (and distortion kicking in below ~50hz)
- really good at high volume, with distortion only below 100hz. If you're just listening to music, and watching TV/youtube, then you might not need a subwoofer at all. But if you're going to be watching movies (you say only 20% of the time) with deep bass at around 20hz, then a subwoofer will take the load off your Genelecs and give you the best possible experience.
1614920673654.png
IK Multimedia iLoud MTM (review)
- at medium volume, it's good, but just not as good as Genelec 8030C
- at high volume, it will fall apart and distort heavily. Avoid playing at this level.
1614920693559.png

In Canada, MTM is CDN$400/ea, and 8030C is CDN$700/ea (or 75% more expensive than MTM).
Since you mentioned 8030C, does that would mean your budget can cover it?
In which case, my recommendation is Genelec 8030C of course.

Last edited:
OP
L

luxpiotr

I think I want to sell Marantz. Its not the best amp I ever own in terms of sound (but functional is great). I also own SMSL SU-9 DAC so I think no problem with feed by it active speakers (xlr). For music streaming I can use Raspberry PI (Volumio / Moode Audio) and laptop. Budget is something like 1300$ - i live in Poland.
1. Can you tell me how good is Genelec in terms of center focus between speakers? I mean you can say singer stand exactly in center. I know iLouds can do this effect very well...
2. With Genelecs can I listen to it without problem at ~230cm distance? Nearfield effect cover that distance?
3. I have B&W ASW608 sub. Can I use it somehow with Genelec. SMSL SU-9 is my interface. Or better sell it and buy Genelec sub?
4. Genelec is good at quiet lisenning?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
1. Can you tell me how good is Genelec in terms of center focus between speakers? I mean you can say singer stand exactly in center. I know iLouds can do this effect very well...
You're talking about the soundstage and imaging.
Crystal clear with my Genelec 8040B's.

2. With Genelecs can I listen to it without problem at ~230cm distance? Nearfield effect cover that distance?

1614926882722.png

1. According to Genelec documentation, you need to be at least 0.5m away from 8030C, in order for summing of sound from drivers to combine, as designed.
2. Looking at the chart, at approx. 2m, (close to your 2.3m), they will play at 100dB (short-term SPL) and at 92 dB (long-term SPL).
3. I have Genelec 8040B's and listen at 3m. They get plenty loud for me (without a sub), and I listen at moderate to high levels.

3. I have B&W ASW608 sub. Can I use it somehow with Genelec. SMSL SU-9 is my interface. Or better sell it and buy Genelec sub?
Lots of subwoofers with XLR inputs available. Take a look at my subwoofer comparison to find out how subs perform.
With Genelec subs:
1. no one measured their performance, so it's hard to say definitively. But we know Genelec is a generally transparent company, so I have no reason to doubt their advertised specs.
2. they are generally too expensive, and other studio subs are recommended over Genelec subs.

If you decide on the Genelecs, you won't be able to use them with your B&W ASW608 sub, since there's no XLR inputs on the sub.

4. Genelec is good at quiet lisenning?
Very good. I have JBL 305P MKII, and the hiss is much more than Genelecs. I can't even hear the hiss in my 8040B's.

LearningToSmile

Before committing to changing your entire setup, did you try room correction? It won't solve all your problems, but I don't think you're sitting too close to make it work with the Arias. It really does make a difference in small rooms, particularly in the low end where you can end up with some wild room modes.

From experience I know that the MiniDSP Umik-1 measurement microphone is available in Poland, though you have to look for it in pro-audio/installation dealers. It's a bit expensive thanks to VAT, but it's really worth it. Get that, get REW, look at some measurement and room correction tutorials on this forum or elsewhere and see what you can achieve, you might be surprised.

Top Bottom