• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hmmmmmmmmm

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, not actually hmmmmmm rather hummmmmmmm
That is what i am getting from my speakers and i need some help trying to fix.
Here is the scenario. I have my audio equipment in a rack (schitt preamp, class d mono blocks, matrix-m streamer). About 4 feet away, i have my tv on the wall underneath that is a half rack with my center channel speaker on one shelf and below that is my Oppo 103. Below that (on the floor) is my a/v receiver.
Mostly I use jriver to stream music or videos to my system. Any and all files for audio work with flawlessly and have no humm (because they go directly to the audio setup).
When I stream video, I use the oppo as my renderer, connect that to my av receiver via hdmi. The av receiver powers my front and rear speakers. I send the fl & fr (via analog) signals to my stereo rack setup. This is where the problem comes in. It doesnt matter if i use the av receiver or the oppo to send those signal from (both have individual 5.1 analog outs), the fl and fr have an awful hummmmm. I have spent a ton of time trying to isolate the cause ... it is clearly the oppo that is the culprit. Unfortunately, since i use it as a renderer for video so i cant remove it from my system. Its only other use is ripping SACD's which is pretty infrequent.
I can send the digital output from the oppo to my streamer and get a clean signal out from fl and fr but that signal is 5.1 not fl and fr. In addition, its out of synch (which can likely be corrected out).

I am trying to keep this original post manageable so i am not going to include all the tests (grounding, switching plugs, isolating oppo power, different cables, etc) i have done to isolate and change things around and thought the best way to handle is throw out the request for help, see what i get and go from there.

TIA

levimax

Major Contributor
Well, not actually hmmmmmm rather hummmmmmmm
That is what i am getting from my speakers and i need some help trying to fix.
Here is the scenario. I have my audio equipment in a rack (schitt preamp, class d mono blocks, matrix-m streamer). About 4 feet away, i have my tv on the wall underneath that is a half rack with my center channel speaker on one shelf and below that is my Oppo 103. Below that (on the floor) is my a/v receiver.
Mostly I use jriver to stream music or videos to my system. Any and all files for audio work with flawlessly and have no humm (because they go directly to the audio setup).
When I stream video, I use the oppo as my renderer, connect that to my av receiver via hdmi. The av receiver powers my front and rear speakers. I send the fl & fr (via analog) signals to my stereo rack setup. This is where the problem comes in. It doesnt matter if i use the av receiver or the oppo to send those signal from (both have individual 5.1 analog outs), the fl and fr have an awful hummmmm. I have spent a ton of time trying to isolate the cause ... it is clearly the oppo that is the culprit. Unfortunately, since i use it as a renderer for video so i cant remove it from my system. Its only other use is ripping SACD's which is pretty infrequent.
I can send the digital output from the oppo to my streamer and get a clean signal out from fl and fr but that signal is 5.1 not fl and fr. In addition, its out of synch (which can likely be corrected out).

I am trying to keep this original post manageable so i am not going to include all the tests (grounding, switching plugs, isolating oppo power, different cables, etc) i have done to isolate and change things around and thought the best way to handle is throw out the request for help, see what i get and go from there.

TIA
Not sure from your post but are any of your video components hooked up to cable or satellite TV? I have had terrible ground loops caused by the cable or satellite ground being much different than the mains ground. Easy to test for (disconnect cable or satellite). If this is the problem you can get an isolator... only catch is cheap isolators will either not work or will kill video signal, good ones are expensive. I have a Jensen one that works perfectly... no hum and good picture. Good luck in any case.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no, not directly.
Although i am indirectly connected via cable internet (oppo).. I will go disconnect that and see if that has any affect. Doubt it will since streamer is connected to same internet and it has no hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Thanks.

Top Bottom