• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

History of Reggae

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The story is reasonably accurate, but leaves out some things. Also, not all Jamaican music is Reggae. Toots and the Maytals are actually Ska.

I love ska, love the toots and the maytals and Don Drummond (though he was bonkers lol)

Not a huge reggae fan tbh.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Do you like Desmond Dekker?

Great stuff, good example of terrible fidelity not having any impact on great music . I do have a skatalites album that was recorded as part of a reunion tour in the late 90’s I think. That combined great music with fidelity.

Ska was (is) quite popular in the uk, maybe because of the wind rush generation bringing it with them . I think island records started as a ska label but could be wrong.

Drummond is my favourite, mad genius.

OP
Rod

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I found it interesting because I could hear in the music there was a religious element in the lyrics but didn't know how it started and I learned the difference between reggae and ska. Cool.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I found it interesting because I could hear in the music there was a religious element in the lyrics but didn't know how it started and I learned the difference between reggae and ska. Cool.
Yes and interesting progression from the early music to the music we know today. There are many different periods and styles in-between. The religious/political "conscious" music can be very powerful. Here is some more information on the history.
http://www.scaruffi.com/history/reggae.html

Jamaica is a small island country with a population of fewer than 3 million, but it has had a major influenced on music throughout the entire world.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reggae is a music that I have a strong passion for (hence the Burning Sounds avatar) although I probably listen to as much jazz as reggae these days.

I hosted a weekly reggae radio show in the early 80s in So. Cal - Freedom Sounds on KUOR 89.1FM at the University of Redlands. Freedom Sounds was the title of an early Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus album, which features some great nyabinghi drumming. I also interviewed Ras Michael and saw him at a benefit concert at the Africa School in LA. I remember standing in the school playground and being struck by the sheer attack and power of unamplified drumming. Carly Barrett, the Wailers' drummer played a style known as "one-drop" which I think is derived from nyabinghi drumming.

I also interviewed Joe Higgs, now considered the godfather of reggae and mentor of the Wailers. Whilst working in Kingston I visited 56 Hope Road (now the Bob Marley museum) and had the good fortune to sit and talk to Georgie - he who kept the fire burning in No Woman, No Cry. He was a regular fixture during the early Wailers rehearsal sessions with Joe Higgs. Georgie had mental health problems and Bob Marley had made provision for him to live at the back of 56 Hope Road.

I have a big collection of reggae, mostly from the golden era of the 70s and mostly on vinyl.

"One good thing about (reggae) music - when it hits you feel no pain".:cool:

Top Bottom