• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiRes Non-MQA from Tidal on WiiM Mini

Joffieb

Hi.

I’m subscribed to Tidal’s HiFi-Plus and whilst I get Master files playing on my phone, when I use Tidal Connect or my streamer’s app I get HiFi but limited to 44.1/16.

I am using the WiiM Mini with a Modi 3 DAC and whilst I know they can’t do MQA, I believe the HiFi Plus tier streams in higher res than 44.1/16.

Anyone here been able to stream a higher resolution to a WiiM Mini from Tidal? Any help would oblige.

I am able to stream 192/24 files from my PC to the WiiM Mini/Modi3 and they play fine.

Thanks

HansHolland

Hi.

I’m subscribed to Tidal’s HiFi-Plus and whilst I get Master files playing on my phone, when I use Tidal Connect or my streamer’s app I get HiFi but limited to 44.1/16.

I am using the WiiM Mini with a Modi 3 DAC and whilst I know they can’t do MQA, I believe the HiFi Plus tier streams in higher res than 44.1/16.

Anyone here been able to stream a higher resolution to a WiiM Mini from Tidal? Any help would oblige.

I am able to stream 192/24 files from my PC to the WiiM Mini/Modi3 and they play fine.

Thanks
when I had Tidal (I switched to Qobuz a year ago), all hi-res of Tidal was MQA

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

Thanks
I would guess Wiim hasnt paid the mqa tax so the tidal servers won't send mqa files to that device (or it can only play the 16/44 file or pass through the undecoded file to an mqa dac to do everything). The tidal app on your pc can decode that first unfold and send a higher rate file to a dac over USB.

AllDigital

I would guess Wiim hasnt paid the mqa tax so the tidal servers won't send mqa files to that device (or it can only play the 16/44 file or pass through the undecoded file to an mqa dac to do everything). The tidal app on your pc can decode that first unfold and send a higher rate file to a dac over USB.

Would using a PC with the Tidal App as a streamer be an option?

For instance, Use the Tidal App in a mobile phone and then using Tidal Connect to send the stream to a running Tidal application on a windows or OSX.

I have been trying to work this setup up but it does not seem to work.

Any ideas?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi.

Thanks
WiiM Tidal Connect now passes high resolution non MQA Masters as of the 5/31 update.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would using a PC with the Tidal App as a streamer be an option?

For instance, Use the Tidal App in a mobile phone and then using Tidal Connect to send the stream to a running Tidal application on a windows or OSX.

I have been trying to work this setup up but it does not seem to work.

Any ideas?
Not sure current status of connect on pc but last time I checked you couldn't control tidal pc app from your phone.

Also, I think even if you could and then somehow "casted" the stream from pc to wiim it still wouldn't. I think it would behave like a chromecast audio and instead still stream direct from tidal servers to the wiim.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
WiiM Tidal Connect now passes high resolution non MQA Masters as of the 5/31 update.
What does that mean? It plays 16/44.1 files but not mqa? Or it somehow decodes the mqa to pass to the dac?

AllDigital

Not sure current status of connect on pc but last time I checked you couldn't control tidal pc app from your phone.

Also, I think even if you could and then somehow "casted" the stream from pc to wiim it still wouldn't. I think it would behave like a chromecast audio and instead still stream direct from tidal servers to the wiim.
This is exactly what I found, that you cannot "Tidal Connect" to the App in the PC.

However, if you could, the PC would be a substitute for the Streamer. I doubt it would be a problem to stream to the DAC since the connection would be SPDIF from the PC to the DAC.

I have quite a good mini PC that I have no use for anymore. It would be an awesome streamer should I could use it as so.

I ordered the WiiM though. Seems like the right solution for me.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
What does that mean? It plays 16/44.1 files but not mqa? Or it somehow decodes the mqa to pass to the dac?
Please see the other thread. It passes to 24/44.1 or 24/48 .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-074526.png
    Screenshot_20220608-074526.png
    822.5 KB · Views: 252

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is exactly what I found, that you cannot "Tidal Connect" to the App in the PC.

However, if you could, the PC would be a substitute for the Streamer. I doubt it would be a problem to stream to the DAC since the connection would be SPDIF from the PC to the DAC.

I have quite a good mini PC that I have no use for anymore. It would be an awesome streamer should I could use it as so.

I've been hoping for the same functionality- I only connect from PC to DAC by USB and was hoping I could use my phone to do the controls and leave the PC alone after switching it on. But alas no.

Side note, this is for my living room set up, so PC near DAC and amp- wired headphone on a long wire across the room. Either a remote keyboard or a chromebook/ tablet running the windows remote app for controlling works but would prefer it all on the phone.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor

Have you tried running the Android app on your mini PC? Under Windows 11 you can download and run Android apps via the Amazon app store. My minipc doesn't meet spec (processor/memory) so haven't tested myself. I use my Chromebook.

AllDigital

Have you tried running the Android app on your mini PC? Under Windows 11 you can download and run Android apps via the Amazon app store. My minipc doesn't meet spec (processor/memory) so haven't tested myself. I use my Chromebook.

That would not solve the issue since the Android App has the same problem as the PC/OSX Apps, you cannot control it remotely or "Tidal Connect" to them.

In my current setup I have "fixed" this using an Android phone and an App that makes it Chrome-casteable... So from my Tidal app (anywhere) it apears as a ChromeCast endpoint and I can stream. This comes with limitations of course, The WiiM should be fine to solve those, I hope.

Anyway allowing to Tidal Connect to a Tidal App should be simple enough and would open lots of oportunities for reuse.

AD.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
That would not solve the issue since the Android App has the same problem as the PC/OSX Apps, you cannot control it remotely or "Tidal Connect" to them.

In my current setup I have "fixed" this using an Android phone and an App that makes it Chrome-casteable... So from my Tidal app (anywhere) it apears as a ChromeCast endpoint and I can stream. This comes with limitations of course, The WiiM should be fine to solve those, I hope.

Anyway allowing to Tidal Connect to a Tidal App should be simple enough and would open lots of oportunities for reuse.

AD.
Ok gotcha. I use Audirvana to stream Tidal from PC to WiiM, controlled from Audirvana phone app.

AllDigital

Ok gotcha. I use Audirvana to stream Tidal from PC to WiiM, controlled from Audirvana phone app.
And how does that work? Does The WiiM support Audirvana natively?

My setup will be not to use the WiiM App on a daily basis, but the Tidal App on the Mobile/Tablet/PC.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
And how does that work? Does The WiiM support Audirvana natively?

My setup will be not to use the WiiM App on a daily basis, but the Tidal App on the Mobile/Tablet/PC.
Audirvana recognizes the WiiM as a DLNA device.

AllDigital

Please see the other thread. It passes to 24/44.1 or 24/48 .
Dear Jmudrick,

I see in your s/c that your tidal app UI displays the bitrate. Mine does not.

I have a HiFi subscription, not Masters. I have looked everywhere in the configuration, both on the Android and PC applications, I have googled it and found nothing.

Do you know how to get the bitrate displayed?

AD.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear Jmudrick,

I see in your s/c that your tidal app UI displays the bitrate. Mine does not.

I have a HiFi subscription, not Masters. I have looked everywhere in the configuration, both on the Android and PC applications, I have googled it and found nothing.

Do you know how to get the bitrate displayed?

AD.
I think that screenshot is from the Audirvana mobile app

Dumdum

You won’t ever get the WiiM to unfold mqa fully… mqa won’t allow it through a device with digital connection and the dac on the WiiM is not great…

You can get the first unfold which is mqa polluting cd quality for me… basically you can’t ever get a bit perfect cd quality version from tidal if an mqa version exists of the track… if no mqa version exists you can get cd quality in theory

Dumdum

You won’t ever get the WiiM to unfold mqa fully… mqa won’t allow it through a device with digital connection (you could then analyse what mqa does or doesn’t do if i was being sceptical) and the dac on the WiiM is not great…

You can get the first unfold which is mqa polluting cd quality for me… basically you can’t ever get a bit perfect cd quality version from tidal if an mqa version exists of the track… if no mqa version exists you can get cd quality in theory

Top Bottom