• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Higher levees to stem the Black Tide are needed ...

fas42

Major Contributor

... :p

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is that Don Rickles on the left?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I like my turntable and enjoy listening to vinyl.

I appreciate the unique combination of expense, inconvenience, physical storage space needed, nostalgia for an era I never lived in, persnickety set up needs, propensity to have my housecleaner destroy my expensive cartridge, and snob-appeal.

If I ever have any tweaky impulses, I can vent them on my turntable setup (suspension tweaking, speed adjustment, tube rolling, VTA tweaking) that both scratches the itch to fiddle and has more point than messing with my digital chain.

I also enjoy the way LPs sound.

But I don't think they're technically superior.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I also enjoy the way LPs sound.

That's a good enough reason.

But I don't think they're technically superior.

That's a good enough disclaimer.

---

Mr. Fremer is intelligible (so to speak) at x1.5 speed on YouTube. Can't do that with a turntable, he'd sound like a chipmunk.

Ok, I listened to the whole thing. For those that didn't (I resisted until now):

Executive Summary:

Business is good in vinyl and turntables.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After 5 minutes (7.5 minutes in real time) I had reach the conclusion you did Ray. Stopped listening wondering if anything else of note would be said. So thanks Ray. You saved me like another 40 minutes of my life.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
After 5 minutes (7.5 minutes in real time) I had reach the conclusion you did Ray. Stopped listening wondering if anything else of note would be said. So thanks Ray. You saved me like another 40 minutes of my life.

Perhaps the most important note is that he mentions all the new presses coming on line; previously capacity was tight enough that new releases often had to wait 6 months for a slot.

Top Bottom