• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Higher-end closed-back

sharock

I'm getting the itch to try a higher-end, closed-back headphone. Maybe something planar. Open-back would be an option but I feel I need some isolation.

I currently have a HD650, HD560s, K371 and Denon D7000. These are used at my PC with Atom amp/dac + Equalizer APO. I use Genelec 8030 + subs + Dirac when I don't need to wear headphones.

Since I can't afford a DCA Stealth, does anybody have any thoughts on the following? They are all mildly discounted due to being open box or b-stock which nearly puts them at USD prices. I would definitely be using EQing to the Harman target with maybe a touch more bass.

1675266915886.png

I do have concerns about the weight of the LCD-XC having owned an LCD2v1 back in the day.

Honestly, the HD560s with EQ seems good enough to me (except for not isolating) that I question whether it's worth spending any money!

Cheers.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On eBay there's a place selling the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm new for $119 with free shipping. I had a pair in for a few weeks and they're really good and value for the money winner over most closed backs. Listen to all your stuff again with it's deep bass extension. I did have the Aeon closed but trying the filters I just thought it wasn't worth the price.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just watched this a few days ago, its Resolve and Chronos from headphones.com talking about their favourite closed backs at different price points as of 2022 . I did not own or listen to ZMFs or Focals but otherwise I had a very similar experience with the headphones they are talking about, and overall I think this is a useful video if you are in the market for some good old closed backs and want to understand what would work for you the best.

Youtube - Best Closed Back Headphones in 2022 - The HEADPHONE Show

OP
S

sharock

It would be sweet if Amir measured the Noire. There always seems to be this subjective talk about lack of dynamics and "slam" with DCA.

The LCD-XC seems to get high praise when EQ'd but the weight does put me off.

I guess my post is mainly thinking out loud and nobody can really decide for me. I suppose I was hoping for some comparisons to my current cans. If only I could actually try them somewhere.:(

AVKS

It would be sweet if Amir measured the Noire. There always seems to be this subjective talk about lack of dynamics and "slam" with DCA.

The LCD-XC seems to get high praise when EQ'd but the weight does put me off.

I guess my post is mainly thinking out loud and nobody can really decide for me. I suppose I was hoping for some comparisons to my current cans. If only I could actually try them somewhere.:(
The whole 'lack of slam' stuff is nonsense IMO and IME. I have a pair of Aeon Closed RT along with LCD-2 closed and 2C, HE-500, and HE6-se v2, so headphones praised for 'slam'... the Aeons do just fine. I think the key is to have sufficient power, which doesn't necessarily mean 10s of watts but something that gets into the 1+ range and is capable of current given their very low impedance relative to other headphones. My chain is a Topping E50 balanced --> Lokius with boosts to the bass (personal taste) --> THX 789 balanced, and they can bump at stupid-loud volumes.

OP
S

sharock

Update to this thread. After much indecisiveness and the addition of another option (Austrian Audio Hi-X60), I finally gritted my teeth and ordered the LCD-XC.

I was very concerned with the potential weight issue and also just not being that impressed by something which costs £1000.

I'm happy to report that I received it this morning and have no issues with the weight/comfort (so far) and am really enjoying the sound with Oratory's EQ plus some extra bass to taste!:D

Top Bottom